Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1832

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok, just purchased a ticket for the 2nd night at Madison Square Garden. Maybe my last time being in there too!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Before I go to a show, I like to have an idea what merch is available.

I either forgot to check before this one, or don't remember checking, but I did score some goodies.

Black hoodie with "Last Domino" tour logo.

Raglan (or softball) style t-shirt with We Can't Dance logo.

Tour program.

Wouldn't have minded a mug, but they were offering no merch bags, and none were on sale. (To compare, Crimson sold vinyl shopping bags at their show, and I purchased one to carry my merch.) Public transit (Charlotte's Blue Line light rail is pretty awesome--I live in one of the old mill villages that dot the city center) meant I was limited in what I could carry. Kinda feeling like I should grab a mug from their official store.

How about everyone else? How'd you make out on the merch front?
    I picked up a program for 20 dollars and a magnet for 15. Tee-shirts were 50 bucks! A bit pricey I thought... I did not need one though found some great Genesis stuff at teepublic. Anyway I have programs from most shows I go to including every Genesis show since 76. This one was worth it. Intro was by a guy named Gavin Esler... had no idea who he was but now do thanks to the internet! It was well written... a quick recap if I may for those who care and did not purchase one...

They list all the songs they rehearsed for the tour, they talk about the last show and Phil's speech from the Hollywood bowl 2007.

Mike reminisces about playing a few shows on Phil's last solo tour and at that time thinking it might be the opening for a Genesis reunion. At the end of Phil's tour Tony, Tony Mike and Phil gathered at Hit and Run to discuss Genesis business... not a reunion. At the end of the meeting they asked if Phil would have any interest in hitting the road again. At that point they agreed to meet in January 2020 for 2 weeks of playing together to see in there was any interest, if they could still do it. After the two weeks they all met at Phil's NYC apartment and all agreed there was something still there as a band so you know the rest of that story...

Nic talks about over preparing for the rehearsals because he had big shoes to fill in Chester and his dad... and that he needed to show Tony and Mike he could do it.

Daryl mentions emailing the band that he would be available if they wanted him on the tour and got an email back with astonishment that he even thought they would go back on the road without him. Tony makes his usual comment how they need Daryl because "Daryl is the one who knows it all"

Tony talks about the first shows without Steve as a trio and how losing Pete was massive and how sorry he was to lose Steve because "he's a great guitarist"

Mike notes that they needed a second player who could play both bass and guitar and that he would hand off lead work on the ATTWT tunes if he thought that the new live bandmate could play them better live and admitted he couldn't pull off Steve's work and this is a quote, "I was playing lead guitar but I could barely play lead guitar" and "there was no way he could do some of Steve's parts justice at the time".

Phil talks about Chester telling him how Joe Zawinul turned him onto Genesis and said "you got to listen to this cos this is really big". He did not mention what "this" was, I'm assuming Trick? Anyway I only mention that because Phil was such a big fan of Joe and he clearly must have been complimented by him liking Genesis.

They talk about covid, Phil's limitations, Pre show rituals... that they don't have any. Phil jokes that they don't huddle up before they go on that Tony would not be up for that sort of thing but Mike might be and Mike chimes in he would be. After the show there is nothing wild, they usually have a few drinks together back at the hotel and then off to bed.

Some great pictures as you would expect.

One odd thing they list the touring band with the 5 of them of course and the 2 backup singers... and Anthony Drennan is listed as a touring member on this tour??? Anyone know what that is about? I know he toured with them in 97/98 but what is the connection on this tour? I doubt Daryl has or will miss any shows?

Anyway back to the merchandise, I think the program is worth getting... They did have a cool Tee shirt of an advert for a Trick show in Cleveland from 76, a Lamb coffee mug, a water bottle. That is about all I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I'm surprised at the comments I'm reading here, suggesting Phil is in much better shape than when I saw them in Leeds in September. He looked really frail and tired, his speech was slurred and he kept his interactions with the audience to a minimum. Great news if he is improving as the tour goes on, I feared the opposite.
    I saw Phil on multiple legs of his last tour... He is not quite as strong as he was then but he does look and sound much better than he did in early live YouTube clips, the first teasers and making of documentary they released. At the DC show he certainly was in good spirts, enjoyed himself it seemed and still has that Phil wit/sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post

Phil talks about Chester telling him how Joe Zawinul turned him onto Genesis and said "you got to listen to this cos this is really big". He did not mention what "this" was, I'm assuming Trick? Anyway I only mention that because Phil was such a big fan of Joe and he clearly must have been complimented by him liking Genesis.

One odd thing they list the touring band with the 5 of them of course and the 2 backup singers... and Anthony Drennan is listed as a touring member on this tour??? Anyone know what that is about? I know he toured with them in 97/98 but what is the connection on this tour? I doubt Daryl has or will miss any shows?
    I've heard Phil tell the story a few times about how Zawinul played Genesis music on the Weather Report tour, I believe he cites Squonk but he's also had one of his Phil Memory Moments and said it was Follow You Follow Me.

If memory serves, Daryl's wife is sadly ill and I believe Drennan is a substitute if he needed to leave the tour if something unfortunate happens.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've heard Phil tell the story a few times about how Zawinul played Genesis music on the Weather Report tour, I believe he cites Squonk but he's also had one of his Phil Memory Moments and said it was Follow You Follow Me.

If memory serves, Daryl's wife is sadly ill and I believe Drennan is a substitute if he needed to leave the tour if something unfortunate happens.
    Sorry to hear that about Daryl's wife. I've met Daryl 3 or 4 times and his wife twice. She is a very nice lady.

An IEM mix bootleg just surfaced on the Movement website and it's Phil's. Quite interesting to sit and listen to what he wants in his ears this tour. His vocal mix is (obviously) loudest. You gotta hand it to the guy, he may be struggling, but it's evident he's singing his ass off.

Can't wait for the two final Boston US shows.

Really enjoyed the Toronto show last night.

The band were tight - including Nick on drums who did a great job.

Phil has obviously lost some power and range in his vocals but I found the added singers were successful in providing the higher end of the vocal range that he doesn't have any more. They were mixed well to support and enhance Phil but didn't overpower him.

Not Genesis in their prime but I'm very glad I went.

Here are some nice photos from Toronto.

https://www.thatericalper.com/2021/1...tiabank-arena/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Saw the second Toronto show last night. I was as skeptical and on the fence about going as anyone, but I am so glad that I did. Much better than I could have hoped for. This was the perfect time to see them for me. I think that all the circumstances...Covid, lack of any live shows, never seen them before and this was the last chance to do so, aligned to make it work for me.

I have gained a new respect for Phil Collins. Sure, he can't hit the high notes anymore, but man, after all the health problems that he has had, and continues to deal with, that was a near heroic performance. And he is still a great and engaging front man, and he genuinely seemed to be having a good time. And his son Nic played extremely well. Lots of confidence, really feeling it, and a joy to watch his youthful energy.

They played a decent amount of old stuff (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Standouts for me were: Afterglow, The Carpet Crawlers, I Know What I Like and I really enjoyed the Lamb reworking. The stuff from Duke sounded great...no Misunderstanding here...Duchess all the way. And I have to say that Daryl Stuermer, who I have never really thought about much, one way or the other, did a very impressive take on the complete Firth of Fifth solo. Even the 80s tunes were enjoyable to me, for the most part. Fading Lights, a song I've never heard before was very moving. END OF SPOILERS

The light show and videos were excellent, no surprise there, but it was the collective emotional energy from both the band and crowd that really put the show over for me, in the end. If anyone is hesitating, I'd definitely say go for it, because it was a great show and you won't be disappointed.

And at last, while not at their peak, I can finally say that I have seen Genesis live.

Neil

Glad you enjoyed the show!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Fading Lights, a song I've never heard before was very moving.
    I will say this... listen to either the studio version or the live version from "The Way We Walk." The epic instrumental section gives the song a majesty and emotion that outshines EVERY other song from We Can't Dance by a factor of ten.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    An IEM mix bootleg just surfaced on the Movement website and it's Phil's. Quite interesting to sit and listen to what he wants in his ears this tour. His vocal mix is (obviously) loudest. You gotta hand it to the guy, he may be struggling, but it's evident he's singing his ass off.

Can't wait for the two final Boston US shows.
    Can you provide a link please, I'm having trouble finding this.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Saw the second Toronto show last night. I was as skeptical and on the fence about going as anyone, but I am so glad that I did. Much better than I could have hoped for. This was the perfect time to see them for me. I think that all the circumstances...Covid, lack of any live shows, never seen them before and this was the last chance to do so, aligned to make it work for me.

I have gained a new respect for Phil Collins. Sure, he can't hit the high notes anymore, but man, after all the health problems that he has had, and continues to deal with, that was a near heroic performance. And he is still a great and engaging front man, and he genuinely seemed to be having a good time. And his son Nic played extremely well. Lots of confidence, really feeling it, and a joy to watch his youthful energy.

They played a decent amount of old stuff (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Standouts for me were: Afterglow, The Carpet Crawlers, I Know What I Like and I really enjoyed the Lamb reworking. The stuff from Duke sounded great...no Misunderstanding here...Duchess all the way. And I have to say that Daryl Stuermer, who I have never really thought about much, one way or the other, did a very impressive take on the complete Firth of Fifth solo. Even the 80s tunes were enjoyable to me, for the most part. Fading Lights, a song I've never heard before was very moving. END OF SPOILERS

The light show and videos were excellent, no surprise there, but it was the collective emotional energy from both the band and crowd that really put the show over for me, in the end. If anyone is hesitating, I'd definitely say go for it, because it was a great show and you won't be disappointed.

And at last, while not at their peak, I can finally say that I have seen Genesis live.

Neil
    I could have written that myself - same point of view. Glad you enjoyed the show too!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the show!

I will say this... listen to either the studio version or the live version from "The Way We Walk." The epic instrumental section gives the song a majesty and emotion that outshines EVERY other song from We Can't Dance by a factor of ten.
    Ooohhhhh...THAT Fading Lights! All this time I thought you guys were talking about a b-side, now it just clicked! I've only really listened to We Can't Dance a couple of times because of how overplayed all the singles were on MTV, and how weak the album was overall. I actually don't even know what that song sounds like, so that'll be a nice change for me during the show. I think the show will be very pleasant, because I can just relax and veg out in my meh seat at MSG. No pressure to be applauding like crazy, hopefully the people who stood all through the ARW concert won't be standing all through this concert, all the way off to the side. If they are, I'll stand too - the band does deserve to go out with a show of appreciation from the crowd. But overall, I can just let it all wash over me in an easygoing glow of nostalgia.

I’ve been lucky to see 7 shows so far on this tour, and the Phil from tonight’s Buffalo show is a totally different guy from the one we saw in Newcastle. He’s himself again. Talked so much, joked a lot and was really on throughout most of the show.
    We were just talking about how different he was—like the Leeds comment alluded to, behind the beat, slurred, etc. I guess he’s just building back his neuron bridges and having fun. Really great to see—so thankful for this tour!
    (Incidentally, we still really enjoyed the Newcastle shows!)

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    I’ve been lucky to see 7 shows so far on this tour, and the Phil from tonight’s Buffalo show is a totally different guy from the one we saw in Newcastle. He’s himself again. Talked so much, joked a lot and was really on throughout most of the show.
    We were just talking about how different he was—like the Leeds comment alluded to, behind the beat, slurred, etc. I guess he’s just building back his neuron bridges and having fun. Really great to see—so thankful for this tour!
    (Incidentally, we still really enjoyed the Newcastle shows!)
    7 shows - impressive!

Are you seeing any further shows?

I've read variations of this anecdote, but there are issues with the chronology here. "Trick" only came out in February 1976, by which time Chester was no longer in Weather Report. As far as I know, after he returned from the Christmas break, he basically discovered that the newly-recruited Jaco Pastorius didn't like his feel as a drummer, and they'd begun working with Narada Michael Walden on drums. Zawinul was embarrassed and said: "But when Alphonso [Johnson] left, we assumed you were leaving to work together." (A little strange since Johnson was joining the George Duke/Billy Cobham band, and Thompson was definitely NOT joining that !) In the end, Chester did play on some more material but that was basically it for him as far as playing with WR.

I've read the stories of Genesis music being played in the Weather Report tour bus, but that can't possibly be "Trick", it has to be "Lamb" or some earlier albums.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I've read variations of this anecdote, but there are issues with the chronology here. "Trick" only came out in February 1976, by which time Chester was no longer in Weather Report. As far as I know, after he returned from the Christmas break, he basically discovered that the newly-recruited Jaco Pastorius didn't like his feel as a drummer, and they'd begun working with Narada Michael Walden on drums. Zawinul was embarrassed and said: "But when Alphonso [Johnson] left, we assumed you were leaving to work together." (A little strange since Johnson was joining the George Duke/Billy Cobham band, and Thompson was definitely NOT joining that !) In the end, Chester did play on some more material but that was basically it for him as far as playing with WR.

I've read the stories of Genesis music being played in the Weather Report tour bus, but that can't possibly be "Trick", it has to be "Lamb" or some earlier albums.
    Browsing Curt Bianchi's book I believe the chronology was 1) WR took a Christmas break in which Alphonso left to be replaced by Jaco, and Joe assumed Chester was also leaving, 2) they did some sessions with Narada (during which Chester objected to their assuming that he would leave, and ended up rejoining the sessions), 3) Narada left and Chester rehearsed for the 1976 WR tour but found that he and Jaco had trouble playing together so he left. So maybe there is a chance they listened to Trick during those final sessions/rehearsals he did, but if they listened on the tour bus (as I think he said) then it was an earlier album.

Reading Chester's interviews he seems like a good guy but with a penchant for mixing up details or telling stories others do not corroborate.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post

Well the album Joe played was really not the point hence "assuming". It is interesting that Alphonso auditioned as well for Genesis. I often thought that would have been an odd arrangement. When Mike played bass Alphonso was to play chapman stick not electric guitar.

One playing of Trick is certain. Luc Ponty played that for Daryl before Daryl was even on the Genesis radar.

One playing of Trick is certain. Luc Ponty played that for Daryl before Daryl was even on the Genesis radar.
    Yes, as I recall Daryl said J-LP wanted to imitate "Squonk" in one of his own songs. I don't know his catalog enough to have a theory on which song it was.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Yes, as I recall Daryl said J-LP wanted to imitate "Squonk" in one of his own songs. I don't know his catalog enough to have a theory on which song it was.
    Jon luc Ponty is worth your time, one of my favorites. The lp's Daryl are on are particular favorites... not sure I'd say I hear Squonk in any of his tunes. I do remember in interviews with Daryl Squonk was his favorite on those early listens.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight View Post
    7 shows - impressive!

Are you seeing any further shows?
    Yeah—Planning on 7 more. Last time to see my faves! Sadly, no last London show where I bet Pete comes out for “Moonlit Knight/Carpet.”

I don't post on here too much, but I wrote up some rambling-ish thoughts about my recent experiences seeing this tour, and thought I'd share them (I've also posted them to the SH forums). I was fortunate enough to attend both the Raleigh and Charlotte shows.

My first concert was seeing Genesis in 2007 in Cleveland. My dad brought me along when I was 11. I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say Genesis was the band that got me into music. Since then, I’ve seen over 60 shows, so I arrived at the Raleigh show excited, but also with some trepidation: could this show live up to 14 years of expectations, over half of a lifetime? Obviously I’m biased, but I thought Genesis was excellent.

A lot has been said about Phil’s limitations, the lack of him drumming and the lowered keys. All things considered, I thought he sounded better than expected (certainly not amazing, but nowhere near the worst older singer I’ve seen). He did make some mistakes, but the timbre of his voice was closer to 2007 than expected, and his grip on the crowd is as strong as ever. Also worth mentioning that I thought the backing vocalists were used tastefully and blended well into his leads.

The band was in excellent form. Mike especially looked like he was having a blast. It’s interesting…watching videos from 1976 it seems like he was going out of his way to move around, engage with the rest of the band, and otherwise add some visual movement to the show to make up for Peter’s absence. It almost feels like the same thing is going on again now that Phil is more limited.

Tony and “old boy wonder” Daryl also impressed, although they are both more reserved. Having seen Steve Hackett live a few times, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Daryl’s playing in Firth of Fifth. It’s harder for me to pick out highlights for Tony, although I will say I really enjoyed his playing throughout. He did make a big mistake in the middle of Second Home By The Sea in Raleigh (going into the wrong section before dropping out and picking up in the right place). He’s only human, I suppose :-)

Still…the star of the show for me was Nic. That kid is going places. His drums sounded crisp, and it’s incredible how HEAVY and powerful some of the songs sounded due to his contribution. Duchess stands out in this regard for me, but his playing elevated every single song. Not unnecessarily flashy, mind you, but really driving things along. One minor highlight was how fluidly he transitioned straight from No Son of Mine to Firth of Fifth.

What else to say? The stage show is super impressive, although I wish they had moved the "dominos" a little more in the second half. The sound was great overall for arenas. It was better for me in Charlotte in the back of the lower ring vs. Raleigh on the floor. I thought the setlist was a good mix. I was thrilled to get Duchess in particular, and loved the acoustic Lamb. It’s interesting that the transitions from Duke’s Intro > TIOA and FoF > IKWIL have changed a bit since 2007. Maybe this is to make the lower keys sound more natural.

The audience on the floor in Raleigh especially seemed really into it. They knew the old songs better than I would have expected! The audience in Charlotte was also good...although I think the area I was in had more casual fans. Phil also had to tell one side of the arena to "wake up" while explaining the Domino principle.

I don't want to give the impression that the show was flawless. It's flaws are well documented here and elsewhere, and it's up to you whether it's worth it or not at the prices they're charging. In the moment, though--for this young fan--those flaws were easily forgiven. There were a lot of emotions seeing the band that got me into music in middle school, and a lot of emotions realizing this is probably it. In Raleigh, I was there with my dad (although this time I was taking him) and my girlfriend (who only knows Genesis through me). All three of us had a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    I don't post on here too much, but I wrote up some rambling-ish thoughts about my recent experiences seeing this tour, and thought I'd share them (I've also posted them to the SH forums). I was fortunate enough to attend both the Raleigh and Charlotte shows.

My first concert was seeing Genesis in 2007 in Cleveland. My dad brought me along when I was 11. I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say Genesis was the band that got me into music. Since then, I’ve seen over 60 shows, so I arrived at the Raleigh show excited, but also with some trepidation: could this show live up to 14 years of expectations, over half of a lifetime? Obviously I’m biased, but I thought Genesis was excellent.

A lot has been said about Phil’s limitations, the lack of him drumming and the lowered keys. All things considered, I thought he sounded better than expected (certainly not amazing, but nowhere near the worst older singer I’ve seen). He did make some mistakes, but the timbre of his voice was closer to 2007 than expected, and his grip on the crowd is as strong as ever. Also worth mentioning that I thought the backing vocalists were used tastefully and blended well into his leads.

The band was in excellent form. Mike especially looked like he was having a blast. It’s interesting…watching videos from 1976 it seems like he was going out of his way to move around, engage with the rest of the band, and otherwise add some visual movement to the show to make up for Peter’s absence. It almost feels like the same thing is going on again now that Phil is more limited.

Tony and “old boy wonder” Daryl also impressed, although they are both more reserved. Having seen Steve Hackett live a few times, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Daryl’s playing in Firth of Fifth. It’s harder for me to pick out highlights for Tony, although I will say I really enjoyed his playing throughout. He did make a big mistake in the middle of Second Home By The Sea in Raleigh (going into the wrong section before dropping out and picking up in the right place). He’s only human, I suppose :-)

Still…the star of the show for me was Nic. That kid is going places. His drums sounded crisp, and it’s incredible how HEAVY and powerful some of the songs sounded due to his contribution. Duchess stands out in this regard for me, but his playing elevated every single song. Not unnecessarily flashy, mind you, but really driving things along. One minor highlight was how fluidly he transitioned straight from No Son of Mine to Firth of Fifth.

What else to say? The stage show is super impressive, although I wish they had moved the "dominos" a little more in the second half. The sound was great overall for arenas. It was better for me in Charlotte in the back of the lower ring vs. Raleigh on the floor. I thought the setlist was a good mix. I was thrilled to get Duchess in particular, and loved the acoustic Lamb. It’s interesting that the transitions from Duke’s Intro > TIOA and FoF > IKWIL have changed a bit since 2007. Maybe this is to make the lower keys sound more natural.

The audience on the floor in Raleigh especially seemed really into it. They knew the old songs better than I would have expected! The audience in Charlotte was also good...although I think the area I was in had more casual fans. Phil also had to tell one side of the arena to "wake up" while explaining the Domino principle.

I don't want to give the impression that the show was flawless. It's flaws are well documented here and elsewhere, and it's up to you whether it's worth it or not at the prices they're charging. In the moment, though--for this young fan--those flaws were easily forgiven. There were a lot of emotions seeing the band that got me into music in middle school, and a lot of emotions realizing this is probably it. In Raleigh, I was there with my dad (although this time I was taking him) and my girlfriend (who only knows Genesis through me). All three of us had a blast!
    Really nice review. Thank You for your time and energy, and posting it.

I'm looking forward to seeing them next Friday. I'll be ok with whatever they play. I've been careful not to look for any setlists because I want to be surprised.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    Yeah—Planning on 7 more.

Hmmm... $100 per ticket (on the low side) x 14 = $1400 + travel and lodging (and air fare to and from the UK). All I can say is...

You are in a higher tax bracket then me!

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.