Page 34 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Well, there's two things going on there:

1. They didn't have to change reels during the medley. What happened was, there was a point where they were going to have to, due to the limits of technology of the day. So the director went to the band and said, "which song do you want to drop from the video", and since the medley had been on both Three Sides Live and The Mama TOur, they felt that would be a good song to drop. They could have easily changed reels during Throwing It All Away or Invisible Touch itself, but I guess since those were new songs and therefore had never been on a video before, they coudldn't that. They could have rearranged the setlist, play the medley earlier, then Home By The Sea later, and done the reel change during that (or maybe even done the reel change with Home By The Sea earlier in the setlist), but I guess nobody considered the fact that Home By The Sea had been on The Mama Tour as a suitable reason to leave it out.
    Or they could have changed film while having Phil telling a story or something. Or stop it at a good spot and change it even if was only 80% used. A band as huge as Genesis at the time could have afforded an extra reel of tape. Huge miss

Banned
    Short piece.

I think, they will play what is easiest for them to play to make up a decent show. All this talk and speculation before we really find what the real set list is will be about selling tickets. I am not saying this won't make up a good show, I'm sure it will be.... great. Between the music, staging, lighting and videos, Genesis always are great, but it will not be as it was in so many of our memories. Keep in mind (although I think this will not happen) is that the USA leg of the Calling All Stations Tour was canceled for less than satisfactory ticket sales. So all things considered, for me (Covid, Vaccinations, or lack of, masks, test results, ticket prices, parking and crowds. I'll be watching the Blu-Ray.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Geoff Downes' rig on the Asia in Asia concert was RIDICULOUS. It looked so goofy for him to run back and forth like that. I'm also not wild about his proclivity to face away from the audience, but whatevs...

I think Tony definitely has the keyboards he needs. Going all out on more keyboards is more about visual flash than actual necessity. I think about Rick Wakeman's set up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert and think... "Dude, you're playing two songs. Maybe give your roadie a break."
    As a keyz player who stands, I could never imagine sitting. Piano, yes. Otherwise, I will take me and my Mountain o Keys.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Or they could have changed film while having Phil telling a story or something. Or stop it at a good spot and change it even if was only 80% used. A band as huge as Genesis at the time could have afforded an extra reel of tape. Huge miss
    It takes several minutes to change reels in video and film cameras, or it did back then. Phil would have had to have told like a 5 or 6 minute story for that to cover the gap.

I remember when Nektar played NEARfest, they had to play an extra encore of part of Recycled, because when Mo talked to us just before they played it during the main body of the show, he hadn't talked long enough, and the cameramen weren't ready when the music started again.

I don't think it was that much of a miss, it was mostly the same medley they had done on the previous tour, the big difference being the absence of the Cinema Show and The Lamb excerpts and the inclusion of the first section of ...In That Quiet Earth.

^ It’s not just about what was included in the medley, but also the performance quality. Which was really good, from what I understand.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The Last Domino? tour will feature "a majority" of material from the Peter Gabriel era, stretching as far back as 1973's Selling England By The Pound, as well as material from 1974's The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and 1976's Wind & Wuthering.
    ]
    (Fred Schneider mode) They're doing WHAT?!" (Fred Schneider mode off) (Shatner mode) WHY THE HELL WASN'T I NOTIFIED?! (Shatner mode off) That's literally the first I've heard about this. I want to see a source on this. Did one of the band members actually say this, or is this just some vague speculation on the part of this reporter or what?

“It’s a different music world out there,” guitarist Mike Rutherford tells Mojo. “It’s very foreign to me. We caught a rather nice time, I think. It was a blank canvas. No rules, really.”

QFT
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    “It’s a different music world out there,” guitarist Mike Rutherford tells Mojo. “It’s very foreign to me. We caught a rather nice time, I think. It was a blank canvas. No rules, really.”

QFT
    It would have been awesome if he ended it with, "And now, everything is shit."

Banned
    Tony’s baloney:

‘Genesis have always been slightly below the radar,” says keyboardist Tony Banks. “We’ve never been part of a current trend; we don’t tend to get awards; we’re just sort of … there. People that like us really like us, though, and that’s all we care about.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...cn-FF9EVZXreMs

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ It’s not just about what was included in the medley, but also the performance quality. Which was really good, from what I understand.
    From my memory of being there at Wembley, it was indeed really good

Not sure if this has already been shared, but here's a truncated show from earlier that year which contains the old medley: https://youtu.be/ouBKr4go7vw?t=1342

Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post
    From my memory of being there at Wembley, it was indeed really good

Not sure if this has already been shared, but here's a truncated show from earlier that year which contains the old medley: https://youtu.be/ouBKr4go7vw?t=1342
    I don't know if it's already been shared already either, I might have missed it due to the length of the thread.
    Here's the embed of the video to save everyone a trip to Youtube.
    Thanks for posting.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Tony’s baloney:

‘Genesis have always been slightly below the radar,” says keyboardist Tony Banks. “We’ve never been part of a current trend; we don’t tend to get awards; we’re just sort of … there. People that like us really like us, though, and that’s all we care about.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...cn-FF9EVZXreMs
    Tony's just being humble.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Tony’s baloney

That would be a good name for a bootleg collection of outtakes.

My gut feeling is- and the rehearsals within the new documentary certainly confirms this suspicion- that the 'best of' is a good indication of what the set-list will contain. Not that different from 2007, although there seem to be a few songs being played now which weren't then (mostly 80s/90s).

I believe that Montreux has the only pro-shot footage of them doing the 'In The Cage' medley on that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Geoff Downes' rig on the Asia in Asia concert was RIDICULOUS. It looked so goofy for him to run back and forth like that. I'm also not wild about his proclivity to face away from the audience, but whatevs...

I think Tony definitely has the keyboards he needs. Going all out on more keyboards is more about visual flash than actual necessity. I think about Rick Wakeman's set up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert and think... "Dude, you're playing two songs. Maybe give your roadie a break."
    HA ! gotta admit, back when young, part of the attraction of prog was, yes, GEAR LUST ! - The monster drum kits, the multi-keyboards setups - and yes, thought Geoff Downes rig with Asia was what a REAL Prog Keyboard Rig (tm) should look like... to this day it bothers me to see a prog keyboardist, like for example, Neal Morse with Transatlantic with just two keyboards! Same with drummers... I want my prog drummers to have monster rigs - I mean, even Bill Bruford had some rigs that were bigger than some bands I've seen !

All this, of course, is nothing more than the opinion of an adolescent that never really grew up ! - I understand, of course, the economic ( groups are not rich! ) and the practical factor ( you USED to need multi-keyboards, now with computers and workstations, not so much...)

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    HA ! gotta admit, back when young, part of the attraction of prog was, yes, GEAR LUST ! - The monster drum kits, the multi-keyboards setups - and yes, thought Geoff Downes rig with Asia was what a REAL Prog Keyboard Rig (tm) should look like... to this day it bothers me to see a prog keyboardist, like for example, Neal Morse with Transatlantic with just two keyboards! Same with drummers... I want my prog drummers to have monster rigs - I mean, even Bill Bruford had some rigs that were bigger than some bands I've seen !

All this, of course, is nothing more than the opinion of an adolescent that never really grew up ! - I understand, of course, the economic ( groups are not rich! ) and the practical factor ( you USED to need multi-keyboards, now with computers and workstations, not so much...)

v
    Totally agree. Not in all cases, but it's still cool to see all of that gear on stage.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

v
    Yeah, I remember at the time, thinking Geoff Downes rig on those first two Asia tours looked amazing! Likewise for all the gear Tangerine Dream filled the stage circa 74-84 or so, and all those guitars Steve Howe regularly takes on tour (well, except for when he was in Asia, where he seemed to use just a couple Gibson ES Artist guitars).

But ya know something that was kinda amazing? Seeing a Grateful Dead show on TV when I was a teenager, where Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir each used only one guitar for the entire show. I also remember the first time I saw The Allman Brothers Band, Dickey Betts used one Les Paul, I think, while Warren Haynes swapped back and forth between a Les Paul and a Strat, and ALlen Woody used I think about three different basses. Mind you, they also brought acoustic guitars for the acoustic set in the middle of the show, but for the electric portions of the evening, those were the guitars they used.

Yeah, I remember at the time, thinking Geoff Downes rig on those first two Asia tours looked amazing! Likewise for all the gear Tangerine Dream filled the stage circa 74-84 or so, and all those guitars Steve Howe regularly takes on tour (well, except for when he was in Asia, where he seemed to use just a couple Gibson ES Artist guitars).

But ya know something that was kinda amazing? Seeing a Grateful Dead show on TV when I was a teenager, where Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir each used only one guitar for the entire show. I also remember the first time I saw The Allman Brothers Band, Dickey Betts used one Les Paul, I think, while Warren Haynes swapped back and forth between a Les Paul and a Strat, and ALlen Woody used I think about three different basses. Mind you, they also brought acoustic guitars for the acoustic set in the middle of the show, but for the electric portions of the evening, those were the guitars they used.
    Agree - all in all is a combination of factors: need, economics, personal philosophy. I think (and to bring things back on topic ) Tony Banks is a great example of someone with a pragmatic philosophy... back when you needed multi-keyboards to re-create the sound... well, he got multi-keyboards... as technology kept advancing, he pragmatically adapted... always towards reducing clutter... remember reading in Keyboard Magazine that at some point he used the Prophet 10 as an organ... again, because it was practical... and so on, up to today's very practical rig...

v

Agree - all in all is a combination of factors: need, economics, personal philosophy. I think (and to bring things back on topic ) Tony Banks is a great example of someone with a pragmatic philosophy... back when you needed multi-keyboards to re-create the sound... well, he got multi-keyboards... as technology kept advancing, he pragmatically adapted... always towards reducing clutter... remember reading in Keyboard Magazine that at some point he used the Prophet 10 as an organ... again, because it was practical... and so on, up to today's very practical rig...

v
    The organ sounds on the 80's era albums come from either the Prophet-10 or the Synclavier. I think it's the Prophet-10 on something like Abacab itself, but on That's All, it's the Synclavier. But yeah, that's the thing, I think once someone came up with a good synth that could a credible impression of a Hammond, he said "Well, I dont' need the Hammond anymore". And I think at some point, one by one, they ended up dropping nearly all the material where he would have used the Mellotron, so that went by the wayside also. And in their place came more versatile instruments that offer more option that just "Hammond organ" or "out of tune string section" or whatever.

(Fred Schneider mode) They're doing WHAT?!" (Fred Schneider mode off) (Shatner mode) WHY THE HELL WASN'T I NOTIFIED?! (Shatner mode off) That's literally the first I've heard about this. I want to see a source on this. Did one of the band members actually say this, or is this just some vague speculation on the part of this reporter or what?
    No chance LOL! These days, something gets mis-reported and before you know it the same thing gets parroted in a bunch of places. All sourced from the same bit of mis-information. Would be awesome if true, but there simply aren’t enough of the old farts (er, fans) for it to make any sense at all. I’d expect the setlist to be 80-90% 2007 with a few wildcards.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    No chance LOL! These days, something gets mis-reported and before you know it the same thing gets parroted in a bunch of places. All sourced from the same bit of mis-information. Would be awesome if true, but there simply aren’t enough of the old farts (er, fans) for it to make any sense at all. I’d expect the setlist to be 80-90% 2007 with a few wildcards.
    That's what I'm thining. I remember back in 2007, there was initially talk of a reunion of the quintet, doing The Lamb in it's entirety (like The Who did with Quadrophenia in 96, I guess). Supposedly, Peter nixed because he was supposedly working on an album, and when Peter said no, Steve had no interest in doing a show that was therefore going to be mostly trio era stuff (though I still say, it'd have been interesting to do a set of quintet and quartet era stuff, and then a set, with Darryl instead of Steve, doing the trio era stuff). But the idea of one of the biggest band's of the 1980's doing a reuinon and then going out and diong a show that wasn't going to appeal to those 80's era fans didn't really make sense to me either. I remember saying that to someone at work, "It'd have been a different show if Peter and Steve had taken part", and since I wasn't talking to a music geek, I had to explain about the pre-trio years, etc.

^ I wouldn't mind hearing Hackett put his twist on the trio material. Maybe he couldn't make it great, but it might be the best it's ever sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Tony's just being humble.
    Either that or he's just thinking of how Genesis were in the 70's when they weren't much more than a cult band. Obviously that changed at some point though. However, even when they were more of a pop rock band and much less of a prog band they still didn't really sound like other bands so I can't really say I disagree with him that much.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Either that or he's just thinking of how Genesis were in the 70's when they weren't much more than a cult band. Obviously that changed at some point though. However, even when they were more of a pop rock band and much less of a prog band they still didn't really sound like other bands so I can't really say I disagree with him that much.
    That 'cult' band played large venues in the UK in the 70's such as Earls Court in London and headlined their own outdoor show at Knebworth in '78.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk