Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Seldom we see such emotional farewell ... it's coming soon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's really nice. My anticipation to see the show has dampened a bit but I'm really happy that I'll be at the last tour with a band I have adored since first seeing them in 1976.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    That is such a kind offer, thank you, but as explained in my PM I cannot make the trip to Leeds right now, so it’s London or nothing for me. I hope the tickets find a good home for you.
    All good, my man. Thanks for letting me know.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Tried to watch some of the Birmingham concert videos on Youtube, but after about 30 minutes, my wife says that they should just play instrumental versions of their songs, otherwise it is just too painful to listen. I agreed and we switched over to watch some of the SH Genesis Revisited videos as sort of a "palette cleanser". No judgement on Phil, I did try to give it a chance, just not for me. Now listening to Seconds Out.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Tried to watch some of the Birmingham concert videos on Youtube, but after about 30 minutes, my wife says that they should just play instrumental versions of their songs, otherwise it is just too painful to listen. I agreed and we switched over to watch some of the SH Genesis Revisited videos as sort of a "palette cleanser". No judgement on Phil, I did try to give it a chance, just not for me. Now listening to Seconds Out.
    Maybe YouTube videos aren't the best way to experience it, much less "give it a chance". I think your mind was already made up about this tour anyway, which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering what the reaction would be at Glastonbury, or Reading.
    I would hope it would be the same. This is the last go-round, everyone knows what to expect out of Genesis. They are not getting any new fans here. They haven't released new music in 30 years (Jeez that hurt to write). It's not like they came on stage and partied too much so they can't function. This is a group of 70 year old guys that are giving what they can on a farewell tour.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    I've watched quite a lot of very good quality YouTube videos out of curiosity. Phil is actually better than I thought he might be but still pretty painful to watch and listen to for me. Having said though if most of the fans who paid outrageous ticket prices were happy to see it then I guess that's the main thing.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Having said though if most of the fans [...] were happy to see it then I guess that's the main thing.
    You guess? I'd say that is very much the main thing.

I watched the documentary and a couple of the Birmingham Videos, first thing I noticed the quality of the Youtube videos or better the Overall quality of Smartphone cameras these days if only this would have existed to Film the Lamb Tour or the Milton Keynes Show...
    Anyway I found both the documentary and the concert quite embarrasing...not specially because of Phil Collins Health issue, I have seen musicians in worth shape on stage, but the contrast between the core trio and their wish to deliver a good nostalgic Show and the High tech environment ...I'd already didn't liked so much the 07 stage Show, but fir the New show I would have prefered a low key setting why not ŕ tongue in cheek "old peoples home" setting with confy armchairs for everybody, lampshades , an unplugged best of set with Phil telling stories like he used to do bętement the songs and maybe the TOTT nurse serving them tea and crackers...for me the strong point of their shows (all periods) was their good audience connection and I felt them completely lost on stage especially Rutherford this time

Not only are iPhones now very good at recording video and audio, but the projection system used is the best I have ever seen. Yes, these great optics, even from the back of the venue on some of these videos, does too much highlight the weakness of the performance.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I watched the documentary and a couple of the Birmingham Videos, first thing I noticed the quality of the Youtube videos or better the Overall quality of Smartphone cameras these days if only this would have existed to Film the Lamb Tour or the Milton Keynes Show...
    Anyway I found both the documentary and the concert quite embarrasing...not specially because of Phil Collins Health issue, I have seen musicians in worth shape on stage, but the contrast between the core trio and their wish to deliver a good nostalgic Show and the High tech environment ...I'd already didn't liked so much the 07 stage Show, but fir the New show I would have prefered a low key setting why not ŕ tongue in cheek "old peoples home" setting with confy armchairs for everybody, lampshades , an unplugged best of set with Phil telling stories like he used to do bętement the songs and maybe the TOTT nurse serving them tea and crackers...for me the strong point of their shows (all periods) was their good audience connection and I felt them completely lost on stage especially Rutherford this time
    Kinda like Python did for their farewell shows? Tongue in cheek.. I like it..

I watched videos here and there. Actually the ones from the 22nd, I thought Collins was genuinely sounding better and more at ease. Obviously you have a massive amount of downtuning going on ('Fading Lights' has gone from A major the last time they played it live to E major now!) but he's getting better than what was heard on that documentary. And credit to him for acknowledging the issues on that documentary and striving to improve. Some of these older rockers admit no such failings.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Well, if you didn't like the '07 production, I can see why you wouldn't like this one either. But let's face it, they were never going to do an "old people's home" style of stage show. That's just not what they wanted to do, and it's (probably) not what the bulk of the audience would want to see. Myself included.

Having the big screens that provide a view of the band members for folks seated far away, that's a good thing IMO. YMMV.

I actually like both the new stage show and the 07 stage far better than the one I saw in 92. I thought the We Can't Dance tour was easily the least impressive "show" I ever saw Genesis trot out. And that was a stadium tour where I thought they'd pull out all the stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I thought the We Can't Dance tour was easily the least impressive "show" I ever saw Genesis trot out.
    Different strokes. I consider seeing Genesis at Dodger Stadium in L.A. in 1992 one of my all-time most unforgettable experiences, ever.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Surprised they didn't play The Musical Box.
    Phil could have skipped the old-man mask.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Could have saved a lot of money on not needing the old man mask.
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Different strokes. I consider seeing Genesis at Dodger Stadium in L.A. in 1992 one of my all-time most unforgettable experiences, ever.
    Definitely fair. But when I saw Peter Gabriel less than a year later, *that* show blew my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    For gosh sake, the guy was in the UK rehearsing for the tour before Covid, and his wife had moved into his house with her boy toy and was so mean she changed the locks and wouldn't leave.
    He had to call the cops to get her and her little skank boyfriend out of there. That had to hurt, plus all the physical stuff.
    I somehow missed this chapter of his life. Is the "love of his life" who he got back together with or something back in the 90s or so?

Also, did/does he have other serious health issues that were public aside from the Foot-drop thing, or is he just "not aging well" after the rock star life?

Not that I don't wish him well, I just haven't followed his story that closely. But, I haven't even watched any of the clips yet and just from reading these posts I sense you're right, Top Cat, and that he's getting something healing from having a last tour that's able to go off reasonably well. stumpyuk's dinner aside. Sorry about that cock-up, stumpy! That sucks.

BTW, Robert Reed posted on Facebook after seeing the show that Simon Collins is going to be very in-demand after the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Same here (Toronto show). It was mesmerizing for me, and Phil was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Definitely fair. But when I saw Peter Gabriel less than a year later, *that* show blew my mind!
    I saw him three times, all three were mind blowing. The showmanship on display (from everyone) was truly something to behold.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Someone has put together a multi-cam of the entire first show now. Since they've said there's no DVD of this tour, maybe this is as good as you can expect:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, Robert Reed posted on Facebook after seeing the show that Simon Collins is going to be very in-demand after the tour.
    I guess he means Nic Collins, who is playing drums on this tour, but Simon could very well step into the spotlight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Someone has put together a multi-cam of the entire first show now. Since they've said there's no DVD of this tour, maybe this is as good as you can expect:

That was pretty impressive considering we are only days since opening night... Now did Genesis or someone in their camp say there would be no official video/DVD/BluRay??? If so I missed that and frankly would be really surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    did Genesis or someone in their camp say there would be no official video/DVD/BluRay??? If so I missed that and frankly would be really surprised.
    Well, it's not written in stone that they won't. I'm just going off Nick Davis' response to someone who asked him:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately I don’t think there will be a DVD made of this tour- I may be wrong, but as yet nothing has been talked about this.

Things may change and you get lucky, but no plans currently.

... I don't know if he was necessarily the guy to ask, but he'd know better than the average Joe, I guess. I find it surprising as well, but maybe they have their reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, it's not written in stone that they won't. I'm just going off Nick Davis' response to someone who asked him:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately I don’t think there will be a DVD made of this tour- I may be wrong, but as yet nothing has been talked about this.

Things may change and you get lucky, but no plans currently.

... I don't know if he was necessarily the guy to ask, but he'd know better than the average Joe, I guess. I find it surprising as well, but maybe they have their reasons.
    Well he is certainly an insider... you don't get much closer to the band than Nick other than Tony Smith. Just thinking out load I wonder what could be the reasoning behind that decision. Obviously they are ok going out with the band in it's current condition so they can't be worried about an official record existing of the band at the end of their career after all the tour is being documented by amateurs. It surely can't be about money... maybe When In Rome did not sell well so the thinking is why bother? Well I for one hope they change their minds. It looks like their best lite show since the Mama tour... at least to me.