Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Yeah... wow, 'Fading Lights" has a whole different character. Kind of like a dying Nad Sylvain now, which kinda gives the song an added poignancy...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeah... wow, 'Fading Lights" has a whole different character. Kind of like a dying Nad Sylvain now, which kinda gives the song an added poignancy...
    Exactly!
    And as imperfect afterglow rendition is, I still get chills and believe PC when he sings-

"For now I've lost everything
    I give to you my soul
    The meaning of all that I believed before
    Escapes me in this world of love
    I miss you more"

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Mike also did some nice soloing, trading solos in 'The Dividing Line', with the Clannad guitarist on the Calling All Stations tour.

Watched the video of Firth of Fifth/I Know What I Like in Birmingham. They pretty much nailed it. Surprisingly good. Phil was actually a lot of fun during the 'tambourine solo' which he did sitting and added humor to it. Audience loved it. He actually sounded good, better than I expected. Daryl did a nice job with the Firth of Fifth solo too. They all seemed to have their hearts in it.
    I'll have to watch that one then. I'm curious to see what Phil does with the tambourine solo in a seated position.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    Phil is sounding a lot like Fish, these days. Ironic?
    Phish.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The entire opening night is on YT. The songs are split into different videos but are all in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cbLK70Ao0pqz3y
    Thanks for posting that. I have watched/listened to the entire thing over the course of the day. It's... actually... pretty darn ok overall. I'm very impressed with Nic; I loved his work on Domino. And Phil acquits himself well on most tunes and the backup vox are used tastefully and sparingly. The only thing I would drop is the awful "acoustic" Lamb re-arrangement.

kind of a moot point for me -- the 07 tour nor this tour did not come to Nor Cal. I will say that at least musically they still sound pretty good, and phil's son is fantastic behind the skins.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Exactly!
    And as imperfect afterglow rendition is, I still get chills and believe PC when he sings-

"For now I've lost everything
    I give to you my soul
    The meaning of all that I believed before
    Escapes me in this world of love
    I miss you more"
    Hmmm. Who is he singing that to, though? Not his recent double ex! I definitely see the relevance and poignancy behind "Fading Lights" however.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I have watched/listened to the entire thing over the course of the day. It's... actually... pretty darn ok overall. I'm very impressed with Nic; I loved his work on Domino. And Phil acquits himself well on most tunes and the backup vox are used tastefully and sparingly. The only thing I would drop is the awful "acoustic" Lamb re-arrangement.
    Yep. Nic is really playing well. As he gets more comfortable with the material on stage, I hope he stretches out a little more.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hmmm. Who is he singing that to, though? Not his recent double ex! I definitely see the relevance and poignancy behind "Fading Lights" however.
    To the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Phish.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

The entire opening night is on YT. The songs are split into different videos but are all in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cbLK70Ao0pqz3y
    Wow that was quick.. thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Wow that was quick.. thanks for posting
    They're already selling photos from the Birmingham gig on ebay.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

God.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    God.
    shouldn't that be God?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Yep. Nic is really playing well. As he gets more comfortable with the material on stage, I hope he stretches out a little more.
    Gspot fans aren’t going to like this, but a better solution for this tour, would have replaced Phil Collins with Simon Collins whose voice is uncanny in its similarities to Phil’s and he could play Phil’s drum parts with his brother Nic as the constant drummer. Even better would be the replacement of Nic with Nick, and Nick was a Genesis drummer on the CAS album, not to mention Kevin Gilbert’s Lamb. But that would require Phil to swallow big time, and for the music lovers of Genesis to win.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    a better solution for this tour, would have replaced Phil Collins
    Yeah, that worked out beautifully for them last time they tried it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Gspot fans aren’t going to like this, but a better solution for this tour, would have replaced Phil Collins with Simon Collins whose voice is uncanny in its similarities to Phil’s and he could play Phil’s drum parts with his brother Nic as the constant drummer. Even better would be the replacement of Nic with Nick, and Nick was a Genesis drummer on the CAS album, not to mention Kevin Gilbert’s Lamb. But that would require Phil to swallow big time, and for the music lovers of Genesis to win.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but let's enjoy what's here in real time than fantasy line ups. If it's not working for you that's fine, but I've enjoyed what I've seen and heard, and I've been a Genesis fan since seeing the SEBTP tour.
    Tony and Mike convinced Phil to do the tour. Without him, I strongly believe they would not have gotten anyone else and that would be it.

I know, I still have my cancelled CAS ticket stubs for the Palace in Auburn Hills, along with my Zoom Jeff Lynne tickets in my memories stash box.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Sounds good in theory, and I love Simon’s voice, but he is an awful live singer. He sings out of tune. Check out some of the live SOC videos. Fingernails on the chalkboard.

Sarcasm? The CAS tour, which Iíve only seen on YouTube was pretty good. The tour from the last decade wasnít bad or badly executed. I didnít go because a video was good enough for me and itís not the cost factor, itís regurge music factor. I would rather reward bands that create, even if they have to play the old ones.

The line “…and now I lost everything…” could apply to his multiple divorces.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Sounds good in theory, and I love Simon’s voice, but he is an awful live singer. He sings out of tune. Check out some of the live SOC videos. Fingernails on the chalkboard.
    Many YouTube videos sound like nails on a chalk board because data compression does that to my ears. Are there higher resolution official live videos of SOC? I saw SOC at ROSfest, and it sounded fine. However, Simons behavior of combing his hair over his balding forehead (like his old man) and therefore covering his face, was very weird. Did I actually see him?

The CAS tour, which I’ve only seen on YouTube was pretty good.
    It was completely cancelled in North America due to a jaw-dropping lack of ticket sales.

When the one and only tour without Phil was that dismal a failure (if I recall, one show had sold less than 100 tickets), and the tours on either side of it with him involved were massively successful, it's safe to say that trying it without him again is likely not the 'better solution'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    kind of a moot point for me -- the 07 tour nor this tour did not come to Nor Cal. I will say that at least musically they still sound pretty good, and phil's son is fantastic behind the skins.
    The 2007 tour played the San Jose Arena and the Kings venue in Sacramento... was its the Arco Arena then?

It was completely cancelled in North America due to a jaw-dropping lack of ticket sales.

When the one and only tour without Phil was that dismal a failure (if I recall, one show had sold less than 100 tickets), and the tours on either side of it with him involved were massively successful, it's safe to say that trying it without him again is likely not the 'better solution'.
    One of their mistakes was misjudging the US market. Promoters wanted them to play theaters like the Beacon in NYC but they felt they could pull off arenas. A theatre tour just might have worked for them. Of course promotion or lack of promotion stateside didn't help at all. I saw the shows at the Birmingham NEC and Earls Court and they were sold out or nearly sold out. I think the tour did very well in Europe. The Katowice video looked like it was sold out. I just don't think Mike and Tony had the stomach for starting over again and playing theaters in the USA must have felt that way to them... just my take.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I just don't think Mike and Tony had the stomach for starting over again and playing theaters in the USA must have felt that way to them... just my take.
    Oh, I completely agree. At age 47, they didn't want to rebuild, or go back to the tour slog of their youth, they wanted to play the kind of shows they were accustomed to, and who could blame them? But it was not to be (as much as I liked Ray, myself). Easier for Mike to fall back on the Mechanics, and Tony to do some gardening. (I kid, I love his music.)