Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

You'd think that they'd change it up a little. Let's see.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    They had a good setlist in 2007... I'm not sure how different this one will be.
    This will be very interesting to see considering Phil no longer drums

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. No prices listed for Detroit yet.
    Kindertotenleider! We built the wall that can be defeated by an 8 year old girl on the wrong border!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, I tried to register with Ticketmaster on the link for the 'verified fan presale'. Then, I was steered to sign in to the website, and informed that I must update my password. Part of that process involved me giving them a phone number. When I selected Canada as my country and inputted my number, they told me that it was invalid, they didn't support 'that type of number' and that I needed to try again with a valid mobile or land line number. Of course, it is my valid number. Wow, ticketmaster. Just, wow.

Neil
    No one ever accused Ticketmaster of having good customer service.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    They had a good setlist in 2007... I'm not sure how different this one will be.
    I agree and for that reason, can't justify going. What are the chances of Genesis doing a full Suppers Ready? Or a full One for the Vine? Hell, I'd be happy to hear Dodo or The Lady Lies. So many great tracks that will likely get overlooked for Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance. I could understand that when those albums were current or within a decade of release, but it's not like they are that highly regarded anymore. Those albums are *really* old now. Are there really that many 50+ aged soccer grandmas looking forward to Throwing it All Away??

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Are there really that many 50+ aged soccer grandmas looking forward to Throwing it All Away??
    Well I’m 37 and I’m looking forward to Throwing It All Away. It’s not just soccer grandmas who like that song you know.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm just hoping for 20-30 minutes of 70s Genesis.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I agree and for that reason, can't justify going. What are the chances of Genesis doing a full Suppers Ready? Or a full One for the Vine? Hell, I'd be happy to hear Dodo or The Lady Lies. So many great tracks that will likely get overlooked for Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance. I could understand that when those albums were current or within a decade of release, but it's not like they are that highly regarded anymore. Those albums are *really* old now. Are there really that many 50+ aged soccer grandmas looking forward to Throwing it All Away??
    As opposed to the 60+ prog grandpas waving their canes looking forward to hearing Supper's Ready for the umpteenth time?

This is just silly - there will be far more people there wanting to hear Throwing it all Away than there will for anything from the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm just hoping for 20-30 minutes of 70s Genesis.
    If it's something like this then it would be in the ballpark: https://www.setlist.fm/stats/average...?tour=6bd6faa6

I don't think I'd recommend Phil try to do "Mama" at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    As opposed to the 60+ prog grandpas waving their canes looking forward to hearing Supper's Ready for the umpteenth time?

This is just silly - there will be far more people there wanting to hear Throwing it all Away than there will for anything from the 70's.
    This is where we need to bring the canes into the picture. I say we see anyone clapping for "Throwing It All Away" and we club them with a cane. This will tamp down the enthusiasm of 80s neanderthals.

I don't know. If I still lived in the Philly area, I'd go. I live in Dallas now, so if they play in Dallas or even Austin or Houston I'd go.

Some history from the Philly area where I attended all tours from 74-84 before leaving the area. Two shows at the Tower in March of 74, about 6K+ total in attendance. Lamb at the Civic Center in Dec 74, about the same, maybe a bit less. April 76, two shows same night at the Tower, again about 6K+. March 77 W&W tour, now at the Spectrum, according to the review in the paper, 16K there. By Duke multiple sell-out nights at the Spectrum.

I wonder what a similar analysis from NY, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, etc. would yield?

So....if maybe 15K show up for this tour's Philly show, how many would be disappointed if say 3/4's of the set is Duke and before stuff? Maybe not that many.........

Put another way. Take something akin to the 2007 set-list, Replace Hold on My Heart, Throwing it All Away, and Follow You Follow Me with older classic stuff, maybe another medley, and you'd have something really good.

I think the 2007 setlist was fairly well balanced, although of course I would like more 70s material in an ideal world.
    Realistically, I expect them to keep the same kind of setlist and change a few things. Maybe a different medley, probably something else than "Ripples".

(I can't help but notice that Nic Collins said that he spent time learning some complex songs that finally aren't in the setlist, so I won't hold high expectations for the proggy stuff...)
    Last edited by Interstellar; 05-02-2021 at 05:08 AM.

For other setlist speculation it's probably good to look at setlists since 1980 or so. For example they had rehearsed One for the Vine, which I think has now been dropped, but it was played on the 1980 tour.

As far as what Genesis means to the younger folk, they may want to see "that song with the puppet video" and that's it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm sure this new medley will be a crowd pleaser.

The Serpent / Never A Time / The Waiting Room / Papa He Said / Harold The Barrel / Me and Virgil

Banned

Throwing it is over 30 years old and probably repeated more than Suppers Ready has ever been. Intelligent people who appreciate music, including students at Rock School will appreciate Suppers ready more than that pop 80s/90s BS. Suppers Ready is far more goth and if folks saw the new 4k restore of the Paris performance, they would appreciate it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I'm sure this new medley will be a crowd pleaser.

The Serpent / Never A Time / The Waiting Room / Papa He Said / Harold The Barrel / Me and Virgil
    I'm sick of that medley, it's been done to death. Here's what my sources tell me the setlist is (and it's very reliable) :

-------------------------------------

Intro tape/walk-on: Easy Lover (New version with Phil rapping every other word)

Window

Ravine

Naminanu (Hackett guesting on nylon guitar)

It's Gonna Get Better (Banks doing 'I Can't Dance' walk through the audience)

Build Me A Mountain

Question medley: Who Dunnit? / Am I Very Wrong? / Wot Gorilla? / Do You Know, Do You Care?

Banjo Man

Mike & The Mechanics medley (Hackett guesting on nylon guitar)

Hair On The Arms And Legs (extended 12" dance remix version)

In Too Deep / Hogweed closing section

Medley: Throwing It All Away ("eee-ba-day-ee-ayy" live intro only) / Phil's "Other world" story / Enter Sandman / Dusk / "Eee-ba-day-ee-ayy' reprise

Air drum duet

Against All Odds (Banks 'I Can't Dance' walk reprise)

Vancouver (Phil in flower mask)

Encore:

The Jackson Tapes

Congo (Stuermer lead vocal)

Congo again

... a few obvious choices there, but Window is always a crowd pleaser of an opener, and Vancouver to end the set is a powerhouse as well. Some oddball choices too, I definitely didn't expect them to resurrect In Too Deep. Rumour has it that cities with no live show curfew will be treated to a third version of Congo.
    Last edited by Progatron; 05-02-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm sick of that medley, it's been done to death. Here's what my sources tell me the setlist is (and it's very reliable) :
    Brilliant setlist. I just bought 10 tickets after reading your posts, because I fully trust your sources and I want - I need, in fact - to hear at least 20 versions of Congo. Stuermer's singing and Banks' dancing skills are so underrated.

I have it on good authority that 'Wooden Mask' will be in the set-list on some shows. And Nic Collins might even do that 'clock' thing with his hands that his father did in the 'Anything She Does' video.

Banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    HAHA!! That's hilarious.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have it on good authority that 'Wooden Mask' will be in the set-list on some shows. And Nic Collins might even do that 'clock' thing with his hands that his father did in the 'Anything She Does' video.
    I didn't include that because they're not 100% on it. Word is they are split down the middle on whether to play that or Pennsylvania Flickhouse. Apparently when that was suggested, Mike stormed out of the room but quickly returned when he remembered that it wasn't one of Tony's pieces.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    As far as what Genesis means to the younger folk, they may want to see "that song with the puppet video" and that's it.
    lol - so long as the "younger folk" are in their 40s or 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I didn't include that because they're not 100% on it. Word is they are split down the middle on whether to play that or Pennsylvania Flickhouse. Apparently when that was suggested, Mike stormed out of the room but quickly returned when he remembered that it wasn't one of Tony's pieces.
    Pennsylvania Flickhouse...what in the?!?!?

Neil

^ A song by Anthony Phillips' pre-Genesis group. Was put out on CD by a Genesis fan club.