Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1832

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I can understand the choice to not include Abacab, it's a pretty quirky song that I think only hardcore Genesis fans and musicians enjoy. I think Tony's ARP Quadrasynth keyboard playing and textures is worth it tho.
    Someone else mentioned they missed Ripples, but it's a pretty slow song and I noticed at the 2007 show, folks were getting restless.
    As I have mentioned before, in 2007 in Philly the anger boiled over into a fist fight between the standing, dancing arm wavers in the first row (we were in a first level side section) and the people behind them that put up with this rude behavior all night This has since changed my memories of Ripples, I always think of it as a fighting song now. As it turned out no one around us saw or heard this song with all the Security and the ruckus going on. It was very tense for the remainder of the show. Go figure.

WOnderful night at the MSG show Monday. The highlight for me, as far as playing goes, was Nic. The kid plays a similar style to his dad in his younger days, but with a heavier edge. Thoughts from others on this?
    Plus I met, in person, for the first time a few of my other social media musician contacts. Good time indeed!
    Cheers!

I think the greatest exclusion in the setlist is Who Dunnit!! a total travesty!
    Although I am not a fan of that song, I remember when they did it on the ABACAB tour the way they performed it with the odd lighting and Phil's performance was pretty cool visually.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although I am not a fan of that song, I remember when they did it on the ABACAB tour the way they performed it with the odd lighting and Phil's performance was pretty cool visually.
    They played whodunnit live? That surprises me actually since I thought most of the band didn't like it. I don't remember who it was that insisted it be on the abacab album(maybe Phil).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

With Rutherford on drums! Definitely wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    They played whodunnit live? That surprises me actually since I thought most of the band didn't like it. I don't remember who it was that insisted it be on the abacab album(maybe Phil).
    The story is that Ahmet Ergetun of Atlantic Records heard it and said "YES THAT PLEASE." BRC decided that it'd befit their new wave approach, so they included it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The whole band like Who Dunnit?, not just Phil. Tony still mentions how much he likes it (although he's quick to point out their road crew hated it). And that's really saying something, because it was his own You Might Recall that was left off the album in favour of it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

The story is that Ahmet Ergetun of Atlantic Records heard it and said "YES THAT PLEASE." BRC decided that it'd befit their new wave approach, so they included it.
    It's actually a little more complicated than that. They hesitated between You Might Recall and Who Dunnit and went to Ertegun for advice. He made it clear to them that if they wanted Abacab to be the radical reinvention of the band's sound they claimed it was, they had to go all the way and include Who Dunnit. Sounds like a sensible advice to me and I'm a great fan of You Might Recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The whole band like Who Dunnit?, not just Phil. Tony still mentions how much he likes it (although he's quick to point out their road crew hated it). And that's really saying something, because it was his own You Might Recall that was left off the album in favour of it.
    Well, it's not the only turkey on the album. "Another record" isn't exactly "supper's ready" either. However, imo, if they played "who dunnit?" they may as well have played every song on that album in concert(and maybe they did but I doubt it).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Well, it's not the only turkey on the album. "Another record" isn't exactly "supper's ready" either. However, imo, if they played "who dunnit?" they may as well have played every song on that album in concert(and maybe they did but I doubt it).
    More accurately, it isn't exactly Submarine or Naminanu, both of which would have been better choices (for my tastes) than Another Record, which was in fact the only song from that album they did not play live. For what it's worth they did play Paperlate live, which was another from these sessions.

That said, I warmed to Another Record over the years. It actually makes a solid playlist opener. Try it. It's a weak album closer though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, it's not the only turkey on the album. "Another record" isn't exactly "supper's ready" either.
    Well no, it's not Supper's Ready. But that doesn't necessarily make it a turkey. I'm rather fond of "Another Record", in particular Collins' drum work on it. I much prefer it to "Man on the Corner".

I wouldn't call "Whodunnit?" a turkey either; it's kind of a fun experiment, even if I don't always feel like listening to it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well no, it's not Supper's Ready. But that doesn't necessarily make it a turkey. I'm rather fond of "Another Record", in particular Collins' drum work on it. I much prefer it to "Man on the Corner".

I wouldn't call "Whodunnit?" a turkey either; it's kind of a fun experiment, even if I don't always feel like listening to it.
    Ok, how about "me and Sara Jane" and "like it or not?" Also, some people don't like "keep it dark" but I have no problem with it even though the main melody is a bit repetitive.

Ok, how about "me and Sara Jane" and "like it or not?" Also, some people don't like "keep it dark" but I have no problem with it even though the main melody is a bit repetitive.
    I love all of those songs! And I do think they are better than "Another Record" (which is rather weak as an album-ender).

Abacab is one of my favorite Genesis records. The only way it could have been improved for me was if "You Might Recall" and "Naminanu" were included in place of "Whodunnit?" and "Man on the Corner". But those songs were made available, so I can make my own version of Abacab that includes them now.

"You Might Recall" is my favorite track from the entire 3-man era.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    As I have mentioned before, in 2007 in Philly the anger boiled over into a fist fight between the standing, dancing arm wavers in the first row (we were in a first level side section) and the people behind them that put up with this rude behavior all night This has since changed my memories of Ripples, I always think of it as a fighting song now. As it turned out no one around us saw or heard this song with all the Security and the ruckus going on. It was very tense for the remainder of the show. Go figure.
    The Genesis mosh pit is legendary.

I am under the impression that Tony championed that track, and he fought for the inclusion of that song on the album.

I think the greatest exclusion in the setlist is Who Dunnit!! a total travesty!
    Exactly! Seeing Rutherford on drums is worthy the price of admission!! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

"You Might Recall" is my favorite track from the entire 3-man era.
    Nice to see some love for that song. It’s one of my favorites too! Always reminds me of summertime, not sure why. Maybe it’s the “happy” keyboard sounds or the laid back vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I am under the impression that Tony championed that track, and he fought for the inclusion of that song on the album.
    Yeah, I think that's what I heard also.

For me, the most underrated track from that era was possibly "evidence of autumn."

I just came across this which is pretty cool. I haven't seen the whole thing yet though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That's actually typical of the US. In Europe, Genesis were known though not exactly big when Phil became a household name so there was less of that "Phil's band" thing.
    I believe that also explains why they were unable to sell tickets for the Calling All Stations tour in the US: people there couldn't take Genesis without Phil, while Europeans knew the band was not all about Phil.
    How did that tour go down in Europe? (That might sound facetious, but it's not! I don't remember.)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How did that tour go down in Europe? (That might sound facetious, but it's not! I don't remember.)
    Not so bad as far as I know. At least it happened! I don't know that anyone who went was disappointed or that there were any negative reactions in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Not so bad as far as I know. At least it happened! I don't know that anyone who went was disappointed or that there were any negative reactions in the crowd.
    I travelled from San Francisco to see 2 shows on that tour. I had not missed a genesis show since 76 and wasn't going to let the Atlantic stop me... Earls Court was sold out as was the Birmingham NEC. Others can correct me but I do believe the tour sold well across the board. The pro shot video from Poland was certainly sold out on nearly so...

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I travelled from San Francisco to see 2 shows on that tour. I had not missed a genesis show since 76 and wasn't going to let the Atlantic stop me... Earls Court was sold out as was the Birmingham NEC. Others can correct me but I do believe the tour sold well across the board. The pro shot video from Poland was certainly sold out on nearly so...
    There were two NEC shows, the one I went to was the second one, I think, and it was fairly full, but didn't seem sold out. I think the UK tour did sell well and the album did OK here.

See the video I posted in #1455.

That's a revelation. Never seen it. Mike playing drums? Tony using headphones?! Oh, the humanity!!!

For the (another) record, I really like the song. And I also like "Supper's Ready".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    That's a revelation. Never seen it. Mike playing drums? Tony using headphones?! Oh, the humanity!!!
    Yes, that's Rutherford on drums! Was really shocked when I saw him climb behind Phil's kit. Mike, are you lost?
    Last edited by Tangram; 12-09-2021 at 02:37 PM.