Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1832

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Really nice review. Thank You for your time and energy, and posting it.
    Just what I was going to say. MDC, you should post here more often!

To DMH84:

You are indeed fortunate to see so many shows! It’s great to get that perspective

Are you going to both shows at MSG? Have they done more than one night in any other US cities on this tour?

Is there an intermission during the shows?

My seat at MSG is almost all the way on the left as you’re facing the stage. It’s really on the side of the stage, but pretty far up. You think my view will be ok? I’m just worried it may be a bit obstructed, although it didn’t say it was obstructed when I purchased it. A bit worried about that, and also hoping there’s a big screen monitor in view. I know - first world problems!

Detroit tonight. Gonna be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

To DMH84:

You are indeed fortunate to see so many shows! It’s great to get that perspective

Are you going to both shows at MSG? Have they done more than one night in any other US cities on this tour?

My seat at MSG is almost all the way on the left as you’re facing the stage. It’s really on the side of the stage, but pretty far up. You think my view will be ok? I’m just worried it may be a bit obstructed, although it didn’t say it was obstructed when I purchased it. A bit worried about that, and also hoping there’s a big screen monitor in view. I know - first world problems!
    Chicago, Montreal, Philly, NYC and Boston have all had multiple shows.

I have seen every tour since Trick and I have never seen them take an intermission.

You should have a good view. My seats were not side stage but my son and I ventured over there in DC and watched a few minutes from there. it was nice to get a different view.

We are supposed to be at the second MSG show. Good seats too! Hopefully fear and panic doesn't shut things down again

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    We are supposed to be at the second MSG show. Good seats too! Hopefully fear and panic doesn't shut things down again
    What does Genesis have to fear or be in a panic over?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What does Genesis have to fear or be in a panic over?
    Banks, Rutherford and Nic Collins have all contracted COVID previously.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There was no intermission when I saw them in Charlotte; I don't think they're doing any intermissions on this tour, but they always could. They have a lot of music to get through though.

The screen behind the stage was great for making it possible to see the band members even when seated far away, and they also had two smaller (but still large) screens set up to either side of the stage. Sorta reminded me of the 2007 tour stage setup, only higher quality.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I’ll be the first to admit I am very lucky, indeed! Saves up over the past couple years, though, and the last hurrah for my band made me have to do it. Plus, I have some dear friends to share these with (and to push each other into all the dates!), and for that I’m really fortunate!
    For one of the Chicago shows I set up on the side, and it was a fantastic vantage point for all the lighting. Your MSG seats will be spectacular!

My takeaway from these shows is how much more Phil is connecting with the crowd as he sings. I’ve only been seeing him since 1985, but in the mini times I’ve seen him perform, this tour is where he’s connecting through his eyes to people as he sings much more than I ever saw before. That’s really cool to experience.
    And to catch the moments of interaction between the band—some great camera work on the screens at times shows that they’re really close and enjoying each other.
    Tonight’s show in Detroit flew by, and Domino was by far the beat I’ve seen of this tour—took me back to ‘86! Phil had struggled with this one a few times! But it was powerful and seemed really a part of him tonight. And at the intro, he saw a girl in the front row yawn, and he really had fun with her for doing that! She was the one he made the domino effect affect at the end of the “party trick!” He was really having fun all night. So great to see.

Oh, I will not be at MSG, so enjoy that for me!!

Great to hear all the chatter about these shows— thanks to everyone out there adding to the vibe here.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Really nice review. Thank You for your time and energy, and posting it.
    Thank you so much! I will make an effort.

I hope everyone here who has an upcoming show (or 7, as the case may be ) has a fantastic time! This reunion seemed increasingly unlikely just a few years ago, so I'm thrilled it's actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing them next Friday. I'll be ok with whatever they play. I've been careful not to look for any setlists because I want to be surprised.
    Good on you.. not sure how you've done this.. I did the same leading up to the Yes tour with Benoit and Oliver. Imagine my surprise hearing Drama era songs that I never imagined would ever see the light of day.
    Enjoy your show..

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    Tonight’s show in Detroit flew by, and Domino was by far the beat I’ve seen of this tour—took me back to ‘86! Phil had struggled with this one a few times! But it was powerful and seemed really a part of him tonight. And at the intro, he saw a girl in the front row yawn, and he really had fun with her for doing that! She was the one he made the domino effect affect at the end of the “party trick!” He was really having fun all night. So great to see.

ere.
    I was also at the Detroit show last night. I will post a review when I get sone time, but pretty much agree with your thoughts. The Yawning incident was funny and Phil let her have it in a kidding kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was also at the Detroit show last night. I will post a review when I get sone time, but pretty much agree with your thoughts. The Yawning incident was funny and Phil let her have it in a kidding kind of way.
    Hopefully she took it well!

A Caribbean bar in downtown Cleveland is blasting "I Know What I Like," just like it ought to.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A Caribbean bar in downtown Cleveland is blasting "I Know What I Like," just like it ought to.

You never know where that song will be played.

Last edited by FirthOf5th; 11-30-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Here are my thoughts on the Detroit show last night:

First, let’s address the two big elephants in the room for this tour:

1. Phil Collins health status / vocal chord status.
    2. High-ticket prices.

Since the last Genesis tour in 2007 we have watched Phil Collins go from an energetic middle-aged man to an elderly man who can no longer play drums or even stand up on stage. These developments have led some people to boycott this tour. No, Phil is not the performer and front man that he used to be, but sitting in that chair at the front of the stage last night, the man gave it all he had. Phil’s voice is not as strong as it once was, but I thought he sounded pretty good for the most part last night. The band used two backup singers to help him with the high stuff and generally it worked. The man hobbled on and off the stage using a cane, but the passion is still there and he acted like he was really enjoying himself.

The other big talking point over the course of this current tour has been the ticket prices. Yup, I agree they were ridiculous and I debated quite a bit before I bit the bullet and bought them. In Detroit last night, there were lots of empty seats, and the show was far from sold out. I know a lot of people who boycotted the tour due to the price of admission and I totally get that. The band does carry a huge stage production that I am sure is expensive to tote around the country, but I did not think it was any more elaborate than many other arena shows I have seen in recent years that were priced significantly less. In fact, the production almost seemed a bit tame for Genesis who were always pioneers and ahead of the curve when it came to lighting, sound and overall stage presentation. The bottom line is I think the band priced out many fans who may have attended. Had the tickets been more reasonable I have little doubt that this would have been a sold-out show which is too bad.

On to the show itself……… I really enjoyed all of it. As previously mentioned, Phil seemed to be having a good time and used many of his old tricks he has been doing for years to help work the audience. Tony was his scowling self but played brilliantly. Mike appeared to be having a blast and had a big smile on his face through most of the show. Phil’s son Nick played the drums and is definitely a chip off the old block. The kid has a style very similar to his father and nailed even the most difficult drum parts. Daryl Stuermer was a rock on guitar, taking on all of the older Steve Hackett era parts and of course the “Firth Of Fifth” solo was one of the highlights of the show. The band also had two backup singers helping out as I mentioned earlier. If you go to a Genesis show these days, you get 4 different types of fans. About 30% of the audience is made up of hard-core Genesis heads who have all the albums and go all the way back to the beginning with them. 50% of the audience is made up of those people who came to the band in the 80’s and just know the big radio hits and maybe some album cuts. About 20% of the audience are people who don’t know the difference between a Phil Collins solo tour and a Genesis tour. We were talking to a guy back at the hotel after the show who was lamenting that they did not play “In The Air Tonight.” For fans like this, Collins is Genesis and Genesis is Collins. Another 10% of the crowd are people who were dragged there by someone else and don’t have a clue what they are listening to. I thought the band picked a nice set list that catered to everyone. Yes, they played all of the 80’s hits, but they also delved into deep album cuts from that era. Genesis threw a bone to us hardcore heads with a few tracks from the Peter Gabriel era and the albums with Collins, before Steve Hackett left. Although some of these songs seemed to be lost on a lot of the audience, those who did know them responded with enthusiasm singing along and giving them standing ovations. I had no complaints about the song selection as I thought it was a nice mix trying to give everyone something they wanted. Some of the sucky ballads gave a good excuse for a pee and beer break. As always Genesis productions are top notch. Being the 4th time, I have seen them over the years, I thought this stage presentation was on a par with previous tours, possibly even a little bit less elaborate. About halfway through the show, the band did an acoustic set which I thought worked well. “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway” was cool as an acoustic number and really fit Phil’s voice. I know not everyone has liked this version, but I dug it. If I have any minor quibbles it would be that it would have been nice to have had a 2nd drummer on stage. In the old days when Phil would get back on the drums and play with Chester it was so powerful and majestic. Don’t get me wrong, Nick did a fantastic job, but there were spots in the show where that 2nd drum kit was missed.

All in all, I really enjoyed the show immensely and was glad I went. Genesis has been part of my prog DNA for years and it was great to see them for what will probably be the last time. Was it as good as the band in their heyday? Probably not, but we are all getting older and time takes it’s toll. The chance to see Genesis again seemed unlikely at best a year ago, but I was certainly glad that I went.

Here is a good video of the shows opening:

[QUOTE=SteveSly;1086486]Here are my thoughts on the Detroit show last night:

Totally agree with your review, Steve. I wasn't planning on seeing Genesis again until a friend talked me into going. (Of course, he didn't have to try too hard). I thoroughly enjoyed the show, even more than I expected (although I might have dropped a couple of slower numbers which I felt hurt the show's pacing). I agree that Phil Collins did a great job, everything considered. All in all, it was a good curtain call from a band that deserved one last bow.

Steve- that was a great review and pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I am really glad that I went!

So is there any talk of them coming to the west coast?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Steve, as a former Michigander and one who has attended a lot of concerts in Detroit, I really appreciate your review....well done!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Turns out, they were running a Genesis-only playlist for pre-concert celebration. After IKWIL, I also heard "Dusk" and "Please Don't Ask," among others. Can you imagine that? "Dusk" playing loudly in a bar in 2021? Regardless of circumstance, it's pretty unexpected, to say the least.

Can you imagine that? "Dusk" playing loudly in a bar in 2021? Regardless of circumstance, it's pretty unexpected, to say the least.
    That is certainly unexpected. “Dusk” is a beautiful song too, that doesn’t get enough love IMO.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    So is there any talk of them coming to the west coast?
    Nope, which means I'll never get a chance to see them lol
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That is certainly unexpected. “Dusk” is a beautiful song too, that doesn’t get enough love IMO.
    Dang. I wonder if anyone has the name of the bar. They should be frequented for this. Dusk, especially the beautiful instrumental section in the middle, is a gorgeous song.

Edit.

/not worth it
    Last edited by pianomankd; 12-01-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Great write up. Thanks Steve!

I'm hitting the second MSG show and both Boston shows. Can't wait. Only a couple weeks away.

Mostly looking forward to seeing Duchess live. That's a gem I haven't seen before!