Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I had heard the story before about PG adding a mellotron bit in the studio while Banks was absent, and Banks being angry that someone other than him had dared play a keyboard part. But I didn't know it was at the end of IKWIL (the part after "you can tell me by the way I walk"). Phil seems to think they kept that bit on the recording.

I believe you can watch the rest of the guys' full interviews as well, links seem to appear at the end.
    Or mayby it was some song on Abacab!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

The eons are closing
    A fourth NYC date added at Barclays in December

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm assuming the N.A. dates are on track. I booked time off the Genesis show in Montreal on November 23rd.
    I guess you are driving from Ottawa, for me besides time off I have plane tickets from Halifax to Montreal for that show.
    My son lives in Montreal so no hotel booking needed but being positive, having those shows among the first ones on the Canada US leg, I'm confident they will happen
    Last edited by Rajaz; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:22 PM. Reason: text addded

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    It's interesting to think about how large radio was in those days and especially how big a role the DJs at the time played in educating listeners to what was going on in the music world. Tis a pity that all that is gone.
    The original Influencers??
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I guess you are driving from Ottawa, for me besides time off I have plane tickets from Halifax to Montreal for that show.
    My son lives in Montreal so no hotel booking needed but being positive, having those shows among the first ones on the Canada US leg, I'm confident they will happen
    Yeah, anticipation is building! I'll either drive or take the train. Safe travels. I'm pretty confident too!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I wish they had announced the European dates sooner and that Phil hadn't totally ruled out playing additional dates. I wouldn't have had to travel all the way to Leeds to see them when they are now playing 2 dates in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I wish they had announced the European dates sooner and that Phil hadn't totally ruled out playing additional dates. I wouldn't have had to travel all the way to Leeds to see them when they are now playing 2 dates in Paris.
    Have you seen the fact that C19 cases are rising in Ireland and the Netherlands. For the UK, looks to be going down and expected to. Great modeling and surveillance in the UK.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Have you seen the fact that C19 cases are rising in Ireland and the Netherlands. For the UK, looks to be going down and expected to. Great modeling and surveillance in the UK.
    Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Cases are very low here in France. They may be going down in the UK but still very high due to the suppression of all social distancing measures.
    I'm not sure the situation justified the initial announcement of UK and US dates at the expense of mainland Europe when the situation wasn't particularly better there than in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Cases are very low here in France. They may be going down in the UK but still very high due to the suppression of all social distancing measures.
    I'm not sure the situation justified the initial announcement of UK and US dates at the expense of mainland Europe when the situation wasn't particularly better there than in Europe.
    I don't want to go too far off topic into the swamp with Covid conversations, but I'm curious whether there has been a spike of cases after Genesis and other bands have been doing shows again.
    Throughout the pandemic we always saw a spike in cases following large gatherings, so it will be interesting to see what the data is showing.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I don't want to go too far off topic into the swamp with Covid conversations, but I'm curious whether there has been a spike of cases after Genesis and other bands have been doing shows again.
    Throughout the pandemic we always saw a spike in cases following large gatherings, so it will be interesting to see what the data is showing.
    Good question. I think those spikes due to large gatherings were seen at the beginning when the overall number of cases was still quite low and not widespread. I believe that at the current stage, those concerts are unlikely to have a visible impact.

Given the demographics of the people going the majority will have been double or triple vaccinated.

I got my third jab precisely because I'm going to the Dec 5th show in NYC!

I've been running a flight case company outside of Chicago for around 25 years. Last Friday I got an email from Genesis' production manager asking about a case for... a ping pong table! Looks like it's approved because there's now a ping pong table shipping to my shop. Now to parlay this into seeing Genesis one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I've been running a flight case company outside of Chicago for around 25 years. Last Friday I got an email from Genesis' production manager asking about a case for... a ping pong table! Looks like it's approved because there's now a ping pong table shipping to my shop. Now to parlay this into seeing Genesis one last time.
    Time to write some subliminal messages on those paddles: 'Play Hogweed' for example.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Time to write some subliminal messages on those paddles: 'Play Hogweed' for example.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oh, the possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I got a Genesis ping pong story. Here goes:

November 1983, Philly Spectrum. 3 night run.

I go the first night and back on the third without a ticket. I head to the parking lot which has been a reliable place to secure a ticket under such circumstances.

I bump into a guy claiming to have a back stage pass for sale. His price is OK but I’m skeptical. “Pay me after the pass gets you inside,” he tells me. Pass did the job and I am on my way.

I wander into the bowels of the building, walking down the curving hallway.

First stop is a room crowded with people, some food and drink, but nothing and no one about exciting.

I continue walking and hear some voices. I duck into a room from whence they came and, low and behold, there’s Mike and Tony and a few others. Tony is playing ping pong.

He kind of gives me a dirty look, like “what are YOU doing here.” I get that, being 24, dressed in blue jeans, high top Converse basketball shoes and a green down jacket. I was not an important person and had no business being in that room at that time.

His playing partner looks up at me, grins and says “wanna play?” “Sure” I reply. Tony looks at his watch – it was about 8:20 and almost show time – and says “I gotta go” and the room clears out leaving me behind.

After the show, back in that other room still crowded with people. No sign of the band.

I see a group of guys get ushered in and wander over their way.

I strike up a conversation with one of them. They are sailors on a British merchant ship docked in the Philly port. Arrangements had been made for them to attend the show and get backstage passes.

While I’m talking to this cat, someone walks into the room and waves at the group for everyone to follow him. I tag along. Why not.

The group, including me, was ushered into an adjacent secure room. They were all there.

I first spoke to Mike and he was very pleasant and friendly. As you’d expect. Phil, Chester and Daryl, I didn’t get to speak with them, but I did say hello and shake hands with Phil.

And of course Tony. I would not leave without speaking to him. I head his way. He clearly remembers me from earlier. Tony was Tony, friendly but maybe a little edgy. I thanked him for the great music and other such fan-boy stuff. I then asked him why he ditched the Mellotron. No answer would satisfy me, but he did say something about the numerous sounds the new keyboards enabled.

And then he asked me if I was any good at ping pong.

“Well, yeah, I’m pretty good I think,” says I. Tony starts walking to the door, saying, “let’s go play.” He stops, realizing I think that this is gonna be kind of hard to pull off and tells me so. I get it.

We part ways. I head back over to the group of sailors and finish my adventure talking to the band’s photographer who had taken some photos of the group. He asks me, “How’d a bloke like you wind up on a British ship?”

^ That's a pretty cool story. If I ever meet Tony, I'll challenge him to a Ping-Pong match. I crashed a Marillion VIP after show in 1989. Great, great guys and a lot of fun.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

The eons are closing
    That's a fuxking great story.

Dont have a wacky Genesis story; but do have a wacky Elton MSG story... No Elton unfortunately - but an adventure nonetheless LOL

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Elton John and monosodium glutamate would indeed make for a wacky story. Do tell!

I used to play ping-pong quite a bit. Would love to challenge Tony. Winner gets to play something on the piano never recorded. I'd lose on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by txprog View Post
    I got a Genesis ping pong story. Here goes:
    That was a great story. Thanks for sharing.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I used to play ping-pong quite a bit. Would love to challenge Tony. Winner gets to play something on the piano never recorded. I'd lose on purpose.
    Smart man!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I knew there had to be a good Genesis ping pong story out there!