Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Just got back from the second show in Birmingham. I really enjoyed it. The band were energetic and the drumming was fabulous. Phil's vocals had their issues, but it didn't bother me at all - I was just glad to see them live before they bow out for good. The light show was good as well.
    Awesome !!!!

Phil is sounding a lot like Fish, these days. Ironic?

Yeah Phil doesn't sound too good and the songs are obviously transposed down. The rest of the band sounds good though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Just got back from the second show in Birmingham. I really enjoyed it. The band were energetic and the drumming was fabulous. Phil's vocals had their issues, but it didn't bother me at all - I was just glad to see them live before they bow out for good. The light show was good as well.
    That really states why I want to see the band one last time. There is classic material presented and I adore the song Duchess.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks for posting your personal opinion of the show. It's nice to read a positive experience, glad you were able to see them live for this final tour.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Am I mistaken or is Daryl playing more guitar on post-Hackett songs - parts that Mike used to do?
    In the TV special Daryl played bass exclusively, I'd be shocked to see that reversed itself for the tour but I don't know.

Am I mistaken or is Daryl playing more guitar on post-Hackett songs - parts that Mike used to do?
    Didn't think there was any guitar post-Hackett!!!

Been ages since I bought my tickets ..... hope I remember to go LOL

I'm sure it will be the same formula as usual, Daryl will play lead on the Steve era tunes and Mike on most of the 3 man era tunes... Having said that a few songs from the 3 man era Daryl did play lead on, The Lady Lies and Jesus He Knows Me. His lead work was great on those Lady in particular. He also played acoustic guitar on Illegal Alien while Mike played bass... can't think of any other 3 man era tunes he played lead on... but I can think of a few I wish Mike would have stayed with the bass on!

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Been ages since I bought my tickets ..... hope I remember to go LOL
    if you want, I'll hold on to them for you, and remind you when it's time.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I'm sure it will be the same formula as usual, Daryl will play lead on the Steve era tunes and Mike on most of the 3 man era tunes... Having said that a few songs from the 3 man era Daryl did play lead on, The Lady Lies and Jesus He Knows Me. His lead work was great on those Lady in particular. He also played acoustic guitar on Illegal Alien while Mike played bass... can't think of any other 3 man era tunes he played lead on... but I can think of a few I wish Mike would have stayed with the bass on!
    Darryl played guitar on Behind The Lines, Misunderstanding, No Reply At All (where he played the horn section parts with a clean tone, which sounded ridiculous), It's Gonna Get Better, and of course they both played guitar on Turn It On Again. Not sure which songs on the tours after 84 he played on.

But i remember in about 87 or 88, he did a solo album, his first one, I think, and he said one of the reasons he did it was because Mike had taken over most of the guitar playing on the preceding couple tours and he was mostly just playing bass, and he felt like he needed to do something where he'd get to play all the guitar he wanted or whatever. Whether that was because of them phasing out most of the Steve/Ant era pieces, or if it was also Mike feeling more confident in his guitar playing, is anyone's guess.

But I remember Darryl saying in Guitar Player in 84, that they'd give him the tapes of the new pieces they were gonna be rehearsing for the next tour, and he'd learn everything that he thought he might need to know, i.e. all the guitars and bass parts, or anything he thought might be a guitar part (say something that he thoguht might be guitar synth or whatever), and then when they'd get into rehearsal, they'd work out who was playing what. I think he said something like, "That's what rehearsal is for, figuring out who is playing what".

Mike is to the guitar what early (current? Idk) Mick Pointer is to the drums.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I thought his one guitar solo on ATTWT; Burning Rope was rather good but I have to agree. Just been watching some more videos, yes I know I'm a glutton for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    C'est WHAAAAAAAAA?!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I thought his one guitar solo on ATTWT; Burning Rope was rather good but I have to agree.
    His guitar solo at the end of "Second Home By The Sea" is also pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I love the little textures he adds at the end of The Brazilian. Maybe that kind of playing is nothing special, I don't know. But it really appeals to me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was surprised to see Darryl playing guitar on That's All on this tour. I'm not sure if he had in the past, but that seems like such a Mike part with the little solo at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    His guitar solo at the end of "Second Home By The Sea" is also pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
    Also like his playing on the Behind The Lines intro and Duke's Travels. Also love his fills on Dodo/The Lurker, and his playing on Mama, as well as Abacab itself.

Also, I'm given to believe there's quite a few bits on those records that sounds like synths, that you might think is Tony, is actually Mike on guitar synth. For instance, on Duke's Travels, when he and Tony come in after the drum duet section, Tony is playing one synth part, and Mike is playing the other on an ARP Avatar. I think Mike also used a guitar synth (probably the Roland GR-500) to double the 12 string acoustic on Snowbound. I note that on the Mama Tour video, both Mike and Darryl played Roland guitars, for whenever each of them plays guitar. Mike alternates between a Roland G-202 and G-505 (and the GS-500 for the couple songs where he uses the GR-500), and Darryl has the G-303. I don't know how much they're actually using the synth modules themselves, though, I'm sure at least a few of those songs don't have any guitar synth parts at all (Abacab, for instance).

Mike also did some nice soloing, trading solos in 'The Dividing Line', with the Clannad guitarist on the Calling All Stations tour.

Watched the video of Firth of Fifth/I Know What I Like in Birmingham. They pretty much nailed it. Surprisingly good. Phil was actually a lot of fun during the 'tambourine solo' which he did sitting and added humor to it. Audience loved it. He actually sounded good, better than I expected. Daryl did a nice job with the Firth of Fifth solo too. They all seemed to have their hearts in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Watched the video of Firth of Fifth/I Know What I Like in Birmingham. They pretty much nailed it. Surprisingly good. Phil was actually a lot of fun during the 'tambourine solo' which he did sitting and added humor to it. Audience loved it. He actually sounded good, better than I expected. Daryl did a nice job with the Firth of Fifth solo too. They all seemed to have their hearts in it.
    This is reassuring to hear.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

While Mike is no virtuoso on the guitar, he's certainly no Mick Pointer either.

His playing on "Naminanu" and "Do The Neurotic" are some of my favorite parts to those songs. I love Mike.

Really glad you enjoyed the show. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a couple months.

The entire opening night is on YT. The songs are split into different videos but are all in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cbLK70Ao0pqz3y
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did not know fading lights from before, so I don't know if it was ruined live or not, I just know that the vocal delivery was captivating in its way.
    Sure, not perfect, but sounds sincere and with real emotion especially with the lyrics. Same for Afterglow, but perhaps knowing it too much I was less forgiving to some of the vocals, but still found the singing very convincing in conveying the emotion.

Yeah... wow, 'Fading Lights" has a whole different character. Kind of like a dying Nad Sylvain now, which kinda gives the song an added poignancy...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)