Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah, Barry said tickets in NYC were much higher than Montreal.
    I made mention on the Genesis fan forum on how special these times are when the Last Domino Tour was announced; yes, ticket prices are much higher but some of us fortunate to have kept working and navigated the global financial crisis caused by the pandemic have set aside some extra cash. And this tour is a good way to spend it since there have been no live performances and travel (at least for me) to spend it on for the last 14 months. But also, a venue like MSG NYC has more city taxes, expenses and premium venue rental rates far higher than the Bell centre in Montreal and that cost falls into the ticket price evidently.

In the past some bands have made lower price tickets available to fans but that is difficult to do in an arena size venue. In 2007, Genesis played only stadiums on Europe and a handful of stadium shows in North America like Montreal Olympic stadium and Giants stadium, NJ where cheaper nose bleed tickets are available for those who cannot afford higher prices. It would have been easier to only do stadiums in the US and Canada this time instead of adding extra nights. But maybe due to covid the control factor that is best controlled in an arena - but I'm surprised to see how many Baseball stadiums are starting to reopen recently. The after effects remain to be seen.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I made mention on the Genesis fan forum on how special these times are when the Last Domino Tour was announced; yes, ticket prices are much higher but some of us fortunate to have kept working and navigated the global financial crisis caused by the pandemic have set aside some extra cash. And this tour is a good way to spend it since there have been no live performances and travel (at least for me) to spend it on for the last 14 months. But also, a venue like MSG NYC has more city taxes, expenses and premium venue rental rates far higher than the Bell centre in Montreal and that cost falls into the ticket price evidently.

In the past some bands have made lower price tickets available to fans but that is difficult to do in an arena size venue. In 2007, Genesis played only stadiums on Europe and a handful of stadium shows in North America like Montreal Olympic stadium and Giants stadium, NJ where cheaper nose bleed tickets are available for those who cannot afford higher prices. It would have been easier to only do stadiums in the US and Canada this time instead of adding extra nights. But maybe due to covid the control factor that is best controlled in an arena - but I'm surprised to see how many Baseball stadiums are starting to reopen recently. The after effects remain to be seen.
    I've been lucky to have work during the pandemic and have been able to save money for this first big event. I'm thrilled the show is not in the Big O, the Bell Centre is far superior. I'm not convinced it will be possible to cram in 20,000 fans without social distancing but I figure my tickets will still be valid for a rescheduled date.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I have always thought 'The Silent Sun' would be such a good song for Phil to sing... especially in his current range. If they ever did something acoustic where Tony and Mike both played guitars this would really work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Pedals Rock View Post
    I have always thought 'The Silent Sun' would be such a good song for Phil to sing... especially in his current range. If they ever did something acoustic where Tony and Mike both played guitars this would really work!
    It's funny you mention "The Silent Sun" because I heard it on satellite radio the other day(deep tracks of course) in my car. It's a great pop song and if it was released by someone more well known at the time it certainly would have been a hit. Of course they wouldn't play it live. In fact I seriously doubt the Phil era of the band has ever played anything from that first album live.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's a great pop song and if it was released by someone more well known at the time it certainly would have been a hit.
    It really screams early Bee Gees, which apparently was intentional.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yes, and I don't doubt it but it's the only song on the album that really sounds much like the Bee Gees (imo). The strummy acoustic parts in particular are probably more like the Moody Blues.

^ They wrote that song because Jonathan King was a fan of the Bee Gees, and they wanted to impress Jonathan King.

I just procured three tickets for the second Philly date. My seats are on the floor but in the back. I had similar seats for Yes in 04(not the same venue though).

I just procured three tickets for the second Philly date. My seats are on the floor but in the back. I had similar seats for Yes in 04(not the same venue though).
    Congrats! The anticipation is building.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Congrats! The anticipation is building.
    Thanks.

I was actually thinking earlier today that there probably won't be an opening act but how cool it would be if Steve Hackett came out as the opening act and had Peter Gabriel join him for a few songs. Of course that won't happen but we can dream.

Banned
    Thanks.

I was actually thinking earlier today that there probably won't be an opening act but how cool it would be if Steve Hackett came out as the opening act and had Peter Gabriel join him for a few songs. Of course that won't happen but we can dream.
    A better way to state that: What if Peter Gabriel stuffed his ego in a cage, and approached the Three + Steve for a minimal encore at a venue in Rome, and filmed it in 4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    A better way to state that: What if Peter Gabriel stuffed his ego in a cage, and approached the Three + Steve for a minimal encore at a venue in Rome, and filmed it in 4K.
    Well, that's probably more realistic but I doubt even that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Ok, but why Politico who expressed this in political terms. I’m anti-political and I’m sick of reading news media which doesn’t provide the science behind decisions like the CDC makes.
    Fixed it for you: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/h...-guidance.html

Hey come on guys. I don't want Cozy to close this thread.

Yeah, it's 5 months away, but I'm still excited to see my favourite band in Montreal on November 23rd!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yes ISTR Peter Gabriel actually told them this, decades later (the exact quote is in the Chapter And Verse book). I eventually got into early Bee Gees, and it struck me that Gabriel seemed to be affecting an impersonation of Robin Gibb on the second verse!

My hope for the tour is they do some unusual things like Bass Pedals Rock suggested that they come out and do a guitar based acoustic number. Also dig deeper into their catalog, maybe Entangled, Heathaze and Undertow if they are checking in here. And most everyone’s wish, have PG and SH on to end the show for the concert DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    My hope for the tour is they do some unusual things like Bass Pedals Rock suggested that they come out and do a guitar based acoustic number. Also dig deeper into their catalog, maybe Entangled, Heathaze and Undertow if they are checking in here. And most everyone’s wish, have PG and SH on to end the show for the concert DVD.
    I was thinking about this the other day. With Phil probably spending most of his time sitting on a stool it would be the perfect situation to roll out an acoustic set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    That would be cool, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Genesis seems to be one of the more "out of touch with their fans" kind of band, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Given the number of tickets they are selling, and the prices they are going for, I think they are in touch with their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Given the number of tickets they are selling, and the prices they are going for, I think they are in touch with their fans.
    Invisible Touch!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That would be cool, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Genesis seems to be one of the more "out of touch with their fans" kind of band, IMO.
    Well, that could be true but I think the problem is maybe at least partly because they have so many different kinds of fans. There are those that only like the PG era, those who like up to Duke or maybe Abacab and that's it, those who like everything and those who prefer the later pop oriented material. Obviously they can't please everyone and I doubt they would only try to please just one of those categories of fans. So in that sense they have a difficult job imo. In the end they probably chose fo focus on what they consider to be their most popular songs/albums.

Invisible Touch!

Well, that could be true but I think the problem is maybe at least partly because they have so many different kinds of fans. There are those that only like the PG era, those who like up to Duke or maybe Abacab and that's it, those who like everything and those who prefer the later pop oriented material. Obviously they can't please everyone and I doubt they would only try to please just one of those categories of fans. So in that sense they have a difficult job imo. In the end they probably chose fo focus on what they consider to be their most popular songs/albums.
    I agree with this as well.
    After Phil's success as a solo artist, he brought a lot of fans to Genesis who knew him from his solo work. I honestly read some folks refer to Genesis as Phil's band.
    I know of some Genesis fans who wouldn't go to a Genesis show if you gave them a ticket, because they believe the real Genesis ended when Peter left the band.
    Many of the Phil era fans only know of Peter's music as a solo artist, so we are left with those of us who love both the PG and Phil era Genesis, and those who came on board with Phil and want to hear songs like Invisible Touch.

I personally would love to hear different songs in the setlist, but you know that ain't gonna happen. But hopefully some type of 20 min medley with samples of more obscure stuff may find it's way into the setlist.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

If I'm not mistaken, they did a small acoustic set for 2 or 3 songs on the 98 tour with Ray Wilson. So I wouldn't totally rule that out.