Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah, frustrating, eh? Montreal is also a world classed city so maybe something will happen there too. Last time, Genesis added an Ottawa show (capital of Canada $1M pop), so who knows.
    Whoa, a pop costs a million dollars in Ottawa?! Compared to that, the Genesis tickets will be a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Whoa, a pop costs a million dollars in Ottawa?!
    Yeah, but those are Canadian dollars.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yeah, frustrating, eh? Montreal is also a world classed city so maybe something will happen there too. Last time, Genesis added an Ottawa show (capital of Canada $1M pop), so who knows.
    I think most major cities will add a second show. I'd really be surprised if Philadelphia doesn't. I think they played 3 shows in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Anyway, I'm wondering how you were able to get a presale code. I couldn't find one online.
    You had to register, and they sent an access code. I chose via text. This was to thwart the bots.

Banned
    If only Tony wouldn't talk so darn much and hog those interview clips.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeah, but those are Canadian dollars.
    Yeah, so that equals about $100 U.S.D.

Great to hear that Chicago added a show.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

One of my fb friends (and a former PE member) told me that they save tickets for each day. I told him it seemed like they were sold out even though the offical sale starts tomorrow. He said to try again tomorrow. Is this true that they hold some for the official sale day? I don't think I've heard of that before.

One of my fb friends (and a former PE member) told me that they save tickets for each day. I told him it seemed like they were sold out even though the offical sale starts tomorrow. He said to try again tomorrow. Is this true that they hold some for the official sale day? I don't think I've heard of that before.
    There are usually a million pre-sales, fan club, the venue, certain credit card holders, etc, if they left all tix out there for sale there would never be a public sale, as a matter of fact there would probably be none left after the first pre-sale let alone the numerous ones. In addition the pre-sales usually have the prices jacked, if you can get a ticket on the regular sale date you're almost guaranteed to pay less for the same seat as the pre-sales.

I know this has nothing to do with this tour, but I'm just throwing it in here instead of starting a new thread as it's pretty inconsequential. Remember when Phil played the criminal game show host/televangelist on the second season of Miami Vice in the mid-80s? I just noticed this when I looked up the episode on IMDB:

cd.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    There are usually a million pre-sales, fan club, the venue, certain credit card holders, etc, if they left all tix out there for sale there would never be a public sale, as a matter of fact there would probably be none left after the first pre-sale let alone the numerous ones. In addition the pre-sales usually have the prices jacked, if you can get a ticket on the regular sale date you're almost guaranteed to pay less for the same seat as the pre-sales.
    ^^ this.

Ticketmaster's "Dynamic Pricing" algorithm probably also adds to this, as FOMO would tend to push "die hard" fans to get their tickets as quickly as possible, which is also when the bots are going to go to town.

Just for laughs I checked today and the DC show is still quite available, with nosebleeders going for the low low price of $240 before service fees. Tomorrow might be lower when the general sale starts.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Well, well. A second show added for Montreal. I wouldn't have checked if not for the poster who pointed out the extra show in Chicago. I'm right next to the stage, in the lower bowl, for $818 Canadian. I know that's crazy but 5 songs that I love is worth it. I think that's about $658 USD.

BTW - I paid $5.50 the first time I saw Genesis so that's hundreds of times higher for the current tickets.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-06-2021 at 03:11 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Well, if there are plenty of seats still left then why did it say something like "there are no tickets left in that price range" or something like that and when I tried every price range it said the same thing? Was the website lying to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with this tour, but I'm just throwing it in here instead of starting a new thread as it's pretty inconsequential. Remember when Phil played the criminal game show host/televangelist on the second season of Miami Vice in the mid-80s? I just noticed this when I looked up the episode on IMDB:

cd.jpg
    That can't be coincidence.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, if there are plenty of seats still left then why did it say something like "there are no tickets left in that price range" or something like that and when I tried every price range it said the same thing? Was the website lying to me?
    If it was a pre-sale the tix that were set aside were el gone-o.

Technically, no concert is ever sold out until showtime. If a show sells out the first day seats went on sale, then those ticket prices were underpriced. That's the philosophy of many concert promoters.

Blocks of tickets in each section are reserved for every piece of the pie: promoter pre-sales, band pre-sales, public day-of sale, etc. Some pie pieces have more and/or better tickets than others. Vendors, the band, radio, etc. all get tickets. Some promoters hold back tickets to hope for panic in the fandom. They then release tickets for sale to the salivating public, usually for a higher price tag now that we have dynamic pricing. Also, if the band has reserved a certain amount, then realize they do not need that amount, they will release those extra (usually premium) seats to gain more income. More tickets will be released from now until day-of-show.

If you want to see how some of these types of sales work when concerts return and we get co-headlining shows or package concert events, check each band's ticket pre-sale prices. Sometimes seats next to each other are priced differently on the same day of sale based off which band is selling it. We live in some dumb and crazy times with concert ticket purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Second show added for Chicago. Presale starts at 10:00 AM CST today.
    Thanks for posting that. It gave me the idea to go back to Ticketmaster and there was indeed a second show for Montreal!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Technically, no concert is ever sold out until showtime. If a show sells out the first day seats went on sale, then those ticket prices were underpriced. That's the philosophy of many concert promoters.

Blocks of tickets in each section are reserved for every piece of the pie: promoter pre-sales, band pre-sales, public day-of sale, etc. Some pie pieces have more and/or better tickets than others. Vendors, the band, radio, etc. all get tickets. Some promoters hold back tickets to hope for panic in the fandom. They then release tickets for sale to the salivating public, usually for a higher price tag now that we have dynamic pricing. Also, if the band has reserved a certain amount, then realize they do not need that amount, they will release those extra (usually premium) seats to gain more income. More tickets will be released from now until day-of-show.

If you want to see how some of these types of sales work when concerts return and we get co-headlining shows or package concert events, check each band's ticket pre-sale prices. Sometimes seats next to each other are priced differently on the same day of sale based off which band is selling it. We live in some dumb and crazy times with concert ticket purchasing.
    Thanks for explaining that. I was sort of joking when I said the website was lying. I guess they just ran out of tickets that were blocked off for the presale. The radio station in my area that mentioned the presale (with the code)actually took that page down. So I will try again tomorrow. If not then I'm 100 percent certain they will add another show.

Yes... well manipulating for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Well said and surprised more folks don't know that this is the new way of selling tickets to the big shows. There are plenty of seats left, well barring the demand being small for the Platinum, VIP Dinner, Vip Cocktail, Ultra Fan type packages selling incredible well! It will vary from venue to venue and different promoters but there are probably 4 base ticket prices spread around the arenas, face value tickets without the frills. They will be released periodically. But their hope is people buy early and get sucked into the packages. You will see tickets for a thousand bucks say in row 4... see them for months, they will come down in pricing the closer they come to show date. Those 1K tickets will be sold at face value at some point if there are no takers at the "VIP" price levels. Having said that tickets for this show are more pricey than what I thought they'd be. I thought the face value range would be in the $75/$95, $150/$175, $250/$350 range depending on the venue/city. It looks like that less than $100 range may not exist.

Last thing, it's the promoters that set the ticket prices not the bands in this case Genesis. If they think the fan base can afford the higher prices they will squeeze them for sure. Having said that there are bands that go out of their way to work with local promoters to jointly keep ticket prices reasonable... far to many of them sadly. The top bands have the most expensive tickets and surprisingly this band we all love with the hobbled lead singer, a band that has toured only once since 1992, has not made an LP since 1991 is still a top band! I for one love it and look forward to the show not matter what I end up spending. The light show and Tony are worth the price of admission to me... and yes I know about the CAS tour and LP, saw it and loved it and the LP as well just left it out of this conversation for obvious reasons.

BTW - I paid $5.50 the first time I saw Genesis so that's hundreds of times higher for the current tickets.
    My first Genesis show was JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, August 1982. Just for fun, I looked up the ticket price ($15.75) and according to an online inflation calculator, that's equivalent to $43.23 today (all USD). And that was a big festival show (with a weird lineup: Elvis Costello, Blondie, Flock of Seagulls). And they played Supper's Ready.

Well, well. A second show added for Montreal. I wouldn't have checked if not for the poster who pointed out the extra show in Chicago. I'm right next to the stage, in the lower bowl, for $818 Canadian. I know that's crazy but 5 songs that I love is worth it. I think that's about $658 USD.

Nearly the same for me... my first Genesis stub is for $4.50 I'm sure of that at the Berkeley Community Theatre... just can't remember if it was the Lamb or Trick. W&W was $6.50 or $7.50... I'm sure of that as well. I'll have to dig them out. Attached a Supertramp stub I had on my desktop for reference... Breakfast Tour!

IMG_1811.jpgIMG_1811.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rich; 05-07-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Nearly the same for me... my first Genesis stub is for $4.50 I'm sure of that at the Berkeley Community Theatre... just can't remember if it was the Lamb or Trick. W&W was $6.50 or $7.50... I'm sure of that as well. I'll have to dig them out. Attached a Supertramp stub I had on my desktop for reference... Breakfast Tour!

IMG_1811.jpgIMG_1811.jpg
    I was at the same Supertramp show (and, of course the Trick) in Ottawa. We were leading parallel lives (lol) in the North and South. I kinda wished I saved my ticket stubs (I did for 20 years but lost them somewhere) but there is no way moving from $5 or $6 to $400 could be accounted for with the overall rate of inflation. This is at a much higher factor.

Calculating for inflation, my last Genesis ticket would cost me $53.05 Canadian now. And it was quite a production too. I just checked Ticketmaster for prices in the same general seating area I was in, and they are between $545 - $650. More than ten times the cost. I wonder if the show will be ten times better than in 1992?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ At least. I've heard they're going to have a flying pig in the building.

No, a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Why amazing festivals stop and why people decide that it just is NOT worth the headache and stomach ache, part 197......
    Yup.......