Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting finds ... in the time of isolation and beyond

Interesting finds ... in the time of isolation and beyond

Thought it would be fun to collect in one place some of the interesting music and other music related fun facts that some of us found on the web, especially now as we spend more time before a computer due to lockdowns etc., and in these "dark times" for live events.

For starters I think I have a great entry. Fren is a young band from Krakow, Poland, playing instrumental prog rock. Some of you already know this band as I have seen their debut album "Where Do You Want Ghosts to Reside" listed as one of the best albums of last year. I would encourage you to check the music from this album at their bandcamp website (link below) and if interested I think both Ken (Laser's Edge) and Steve (Wayside) have this album available.

https://fren.bandcamp.com/album/wher...osts-to-reside

Citing one of the entries there: "This Polish quartet performs a lush, cinematic variety of instrumental progressive rock in the same vein as Änglagård. Mellotron is prominent, and jazz tones are pervasive. And though Änglagård comparisons may be obvious, Fren successfully distinguish themselves."

But I think even more convincing will be the video the band made available: Fren - Autumn Session (Live from isolation). Hope you enjoy it as much as I have:

"Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I agree, this is very nice. Really like the guitar. All of the band is talented.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The more I listen they more you are drawn in! This is really fine music.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've got it on my home theater on Amazon Fire Stick. I would definitely consider buying this. Totally scratches the instrumental prog itch.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The more I listen they more you are drawn in! This is really fine music.
    Glad you enjoy it. And yes, their music seems to have this effect on people. There is very similar comment on their bandcamp page.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Glad you enjoy it. And yes, their music seems to have this effect on people. There is very similar comment on their bandcamp page.
    Yes, I see all kinds of new music on PE and regularly check it out. There is something VERY special about Fren. The drummer and keyboard player also sound great.

Yeah I saw that Fren mentioned on a Best Of 2020 list elsewhere and I checked it out. Great stuff, more guitar-based than I thought it would be too. Solid.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Restock on the way...

[...] For starters I think I have a great entry. Fren is a young band from Krakow, Poland, playing instrumental prog rock. Some of you already know this band as I have seen their debut album "Where Do You Want Ghosts to Reside" listed as one of the best albums of last year. I would encourage you to check the music from this album at their bandcamp website (link below) and if interested I think both Ken (Laser's Edge) and Steve (Wayside) have this album available.

https://fren.bandcamp.com/album/wher...osts-to-reside
    Oooops, giving the information on availability of the Fren's debut CD in US, it seems I have neglected people here who live elsewhere. Just to correct this, the bandcamp website has the information how to purchase the CD directly from the band. This is how I got my copy of the CD. Btw, shipment was amazingly fast, or perhaps I was just lucky as I wait for some shipments from Europe (including Germany) close to 2 months now.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've listened to "Where Do You Want Ghosts to Reside" on Spotify before and thought it was good. I need to listen to that again, and will check out the video you posted too. Thanks, PCMusic.

Most of my own discoveries this COVID have been things others have been pushing for a while, or that were already on my radar, but it's nice to have a place to post about ones we think others might not know of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've listened to "Where Do You Want Ghosts to Reside" on Spotify before and thought it was good. I need to listen to that again, and will check out the video you posted too. Thanks, PCMusic.

Most of my own discoveries this COVID have been things others have been pushing for a while, or that were already on my radar, but it's nice to have a place to post about ones we think others might not know of yet.
    Thanks Jed, it was the idea behind this thread, although, it seems Fern takes precedence for now.

By all means check the included video. There are two brand new tracks there, that I think are slated for the new album. These are 3rd (Wiosna / Spring) and 4th (Bajka Bajek / Fairy Tale of Fairly Tales) ... in rough translation. These two provide an early glimpse of what it is to come from the band and I like it

Excellent! thanks for sharing info and video.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I found this band from Greece, might be more post rock than prog, buts it's pretty awesome once it takes off..

https://theirmethlab.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-second

A blast from the past ... found a clip that must be one of the earliest recorded videos of live performances by Fren, enjoy:

German band Polis has been mentioned quite a few times here. Even though they sing in German, the music is very enjoyable. Below are two videos for the song Tropfen (Drop) from their last studio album Weltklang (2020). One video is from the live performance in studio and the other, for comparison, from a festival. Hope you enjoy

One of my personal biggest discoveries during the pandemic was Electric Orange, even though I had heard them over past few years. I bought a bunch of their albums ythis past summer and they are all pretty killer. They are my new "Can".

Few more finds, a bit with connection to the band Polis above, as these videos are recorded at the band's studio (Weltklang Studio Plauen, Germany) with the band member Marius Leicht on keyboards. The 1st one is a bit off track here at PE but I hope still enjoyable, then I am sure the next two you will enjoy quite a bit. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One of my personal biggest discoveries during the pandemic was Electric Orange, even though I had heard them over past few years. I bought a bunch of their albums ythis past summer and they are all pretty killer. They are my new "Can".
    Have the album Electric Orange - S/T (2CD), I think edition from 1999, but hopelessly out of touch with it as it sits somewhere in the box, in the basement, ever since the move. Thanks for reminding of them, perhaps the internet is the solution to get to listen to them again. I think I also have a pre Electric Orange album, but forget its name ... or mistaking the bands altogether ... well, it has been quite a few years since I listened to them

Few more finds, a bit with connection to the band Polis above, as these videos are recorded at the band's studio (Weltklang Studio Plauen, Germany) with the band member Marius Leicht on keyboards. The 1st one is a bit off track here at PE but I hope still enjoyable, then I am sure the next two you will enjoy quite a bit. Have fun
    [...]
    Geeez, it seems I just "discovered America" ... these guys (Martin Miller & Friends) are regular money making machines. Just looked up the number of hits their pages get on YT and wow ... in millions. I guess not a bad way to make a living, but then they are good at what they do. There is a lot more from them on YT ... Kashmir, Queen, Toto, Police and more, wow.

Geeez, it seems I just "discovered America" ... these guys (Martin Miller & Friends) are regular money making machines. Just looked up the number of hits their pages get on YT and wow ... in millions. I guess not a bad way to make a living, but then they are good at what they do. There is a lot more from them on YT ... Kashmir, Queen, Toto, Police and more, wow.
    ... and then the "Gold Mine" from these guys ... no, not exactly ... only the whole "The Dark Side of the Moon"

Have the album Electric Orange - S/T (2CD), I think edition from 1999, but hopelessly out of touch with it as it sits somewhere in the box, in the basement, ever since the move. Thanks for reminding of them, perhaps the internet is the solution to get to listen to them again. I think I also have a pre Electric Orange album, but forget its name ... or mistaking the bands altogether ... well, it has been quite a few years since I listened to them
    All/most of their albums are on BC so you can test drive whichever one you want to hear. I bought and love the following:

Volume 10
    Morbus
    Netto
    abgelaufen!
    fleischwerk
    Platte

Just crank and GO. You are just a passenger along for the ride, killer Krautrock jams.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

All/most of their albums are on BC so you can test drive whichever one you want to hear. I bought and love the following:

Volume 10
    Morbus
    Netto
    abgelaufen!
    fleischwerk
    Platte

Just crank and GO. You are just a passenger along for the ride, killer Krautrock jams.
    Thanks, will certainly give it a shot. Judging from ProgArchives ratings the latter albums should be the ones of most interest.

Volume 10
    Morbus
    Netto
    abgelaufen!
    fleischwerk
    Platte

Wish I had more time for proper listening of such music and just, similarly to what you say, get lost in it. Really enjoy their new album "Encode", as well as other albums posted at their bandcamp website, with the exception of the "patchwork 1996​-​1999". This one is quite different from the others, hardly the same band.

If you are not familiar with El Paraiso label you may be interested in exploring some of the artists there. I have albums from a couple of them: Causa Sui and Papir. All instrumental long jams, slightly on a heavier side.
    https://elparaisorecords.com/artists

There are others in similar vein like Electric Moon, Color Haze (also with vocals), Monkey 3 and Monomyth. There are more but these are just popping in my mind at this time.

Excellent, thanks for the heads up. Glad you're diggin the Orange

Funny, I just so happen to be listening to Brian Ellis Group's Escondido Sessions (on the El Paraiso label) right now as I read this thread. It's got a nice, acidy groove -- a bit like Miles' Bitches Brew perhaps. Great to just soak up while enjoying a beverage of choice.

There's some killer stuff on this label, like Causa Sui. Their 3-disc Live in Copenhagen is really good; walks a nice line between krautrock/psych/jazz and I can't imagine you not liking it, Frank. (assuming you haven't already heard it, of course. )