Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No-Man (and related)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

No-Man (and related)

Now that I’ve found that Sanguine Hum is tangentially related to No-Man, I’d like to get some recommendations for investigating No-Man, Henry Fool, etc. I have a copy of No-Man’s “Returning Jesus” somewhere, but that’s it. Anything, especially more-recent or most-recent to which I should listen?

Sadly I don't have anything by No-Man (not yet at least). But Henry Fool's Men Singing is very good.

Do you have any of Tim Bowness' solo albums?

I personally think "Together We're Stranger" is the finest No-Man album, although "Schoolyard Ghosts" and some of the earlier albums are certainly great too. And Tim Bowness's "Abandoned Dancehall Dreams" is essentially a No-Man album in all but name.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Great band...I'm partial to Wild Opera and Dry Cleaning Ray

Also, I like the ep Carolina Skeletons alot too.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I think Together We're Stranger is a great (very quiet) album. Flowermouth and Love You To bits are very good also, but really different (very groovy).
    The more eclectic albums Returning Jesus and Schoolyard Ghosts, are really good too.

Regarding Bowness' solo material, Abandoned Dancehall Dreams and Flowers At The Scene are my favourite ones, but they're all worth a listen. The latest one, Late Night Laments, impressed me on first listen the other day. Lost in The Ghost Light is the most overtly proggy.

Among other projects, I think Warm Winter by Memories Of Machines (Bowness with Giancarlo Erra) is really strong - close to No-Man, but with a special ethereal and Floydian touch.

My No Man faves are
    Speak
    Returning Jesus
    Together We're Stranger
    Schoolyard Ghosts

I love all Tim Bowness's recent solo albums too.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Together We're Stranger is the only No-Man album I've been able to get, so far. Can't speak for the ones I haven't heard. But one good one is better than none.

For me Together We're Stranger is their peak but Schoolyard Ghosts comes really close. Of the earlier albums Flowermouth is my favourite, with Returning Jesus not far behind - and it has Carolina Skeletons which is one of their most beautiful songs.

The live albums (Mixtaped and Love and Endings) are both recommended - with the full band they give the songs a different spin.

I'm a fan of Tim's other work as well - Stupid Things That Mean the World is probably my favourite along with Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. Lost in the Ghost Light is very good - it's about a (fictional) 70's band and has some great moments.

And a special mention of the California, Norfolk album by Tim Bowness with Peter Chilvers - it has a fabulous atmosphere all its own.

Wild Opera is my personal favorite. Very diverse set of songs

Great suggestions so far, thanks! I was just listening to Returning Jesus. I turned it off just to throw some Soft Machine on, but it was in the middle of a song that sounded quite a bit like Floyd's "The Thin Ice."

BTW, in following the relationships between these bands (No-Man, Henry Fool, Sanguine Hum, etc.)I was surprised to see the name Huxflux Nettermalm listed as playing with Henry Fool at some point. He's the main guy from Swedish band Paatos (née Ricard Nettermalm). I remember Stefan Dimle explaining to me about how Ricard changed his name to Huxflux. Apparently in Sweden, they use the word huxflux to mean something similar to "amok." Something like one day he woke up and announced he was changing his name to Huxflux, and that day he got the name tattooed on his body somewhere. I probably am misremembering at least part of that story, maybe the whole tattoo part!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-19-2021 at 10:12 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The compilation Loveblows & Lovecries: A Confession is all the No-man I need

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    As a fan of the music of Japan (which members are on this one too) I was lucky to find a copy of this one two. You could say No-Man returned to this sound somewhat with Love You To Bits.
    The documentary on the second DVD from Mixtaped is also worth checking out (it even includes a snapshot of Mick Karn somewhere!).

Highly recommend Tim Bowness "Flowers At The Scene" from 2019. Really strong album IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Highly recommend Tim Bowness "Flowers At The Scene" from 2019. Really strong album IMO.
    Yeah I agree. I've really enjoyed all of Tim's solo albums actually, and they're all just different enough from each other to remain interesting IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've really enjoyed all of Tim's solo albums actually, and they're all just different enough from each other to remain interesting IMO.
    Indeed. He clearly insists on every album and project having its own identity and consistency. So even though his vocal style remains pretty much the same, as does the melancholy that permeates the lyrics, there are significant changes in the soundscape and atmosphere every time.

I think I now have everything available via the Kscope label, plus the newest album.

I liked the relaxed vibe, and Wilson and Bowness make for a very compatible creative relationship, (compared to Blackfield, where Geffen is more pushy).

Here are a couple of pieces I wrote, which you might find helpful:

Returning Jesus reissue - https://momentstransition.wordpress....-2017-reissue/

Love You To Bits - https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2019/11/25/no-man-love-you-to-bits-2019/
    Last edited by Valen; 01-22-2021 at 04:25 AM.

I’ve got everything that Sanguine Hum have released and most everything that No Man / Wilson / Bowness have too, but I’m not aware of a link between the Hum and No Man... perhaps I’m being very forgetful?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    To clarify - this isn't a compilation covering their career (that would be All the Blue Changes).

It's their first album that had some of their early singles added when it was rereleased (or first released in North America, I'm not sure).

I like it but for me it's not on the same level as their best material.

Isn't No-Man pretty much a Tim Bowness solo project w/ Steven Wilson? I think most everyone else are just guest players. I have most everything, its almost singer/ songwriter music, but I will never forget my daughter heard Tim in my car years ago and said " he sounds so dramatic" she thought it was funny. He does sound a little over dramatic sometimes ,though Im still a big fan. I have to believe most people on here know Tim runs Burning Shed as well. Henry Fool wa excellent, had a Canterbury tinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I’ve got everything that Sanguine Hum have released and most everything that No Man / Wilson / Bowness have too, but I’m not aware of a link between the Hum and No Man... perhaps I’m being very forgetful?
    I guess it's a minor connection, but it's drummer Andrew Booker, who has played with all three bands. What I meant, really, is that "researching" Sanguine Hum on Wikipedia led me to reading about Henry Fool and No-Man (and not just because there may be some musical similarities).

^^ thanks for the explanation. I must revisit to that Henry Fool disc, I have it tucked away somewhere but I never really gave it sufficient airtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Among other projects, I think Warm Winter by Memories Of Machines (Bowness with Giancarlo Erra) is really strong - close to No-Man, but with a special ethereal and Floydian touch.
    This will be rereleased including a 5.1 surround mix: https://kscopemusic.com/artists/tim-...iancarlo-erra/

cover.jpg
    UK, 2014.
    Firstly known with his works with No-Man, this is the most famous album from a prolific discography, and it features many prestigious artists from the Steven Wilson and crimsonic core. The cloudy mythic David-Bowie-styled voice brings some of them here, along with excellent drumming arrangements and bass parts. All the tracks are enjoyable treats of sweet musical aura mixed with light and heavy sound.

I think Tim has another one on the way soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Naytheet View Post

Firstly known with his works with No-Man,
    Bowness's first works were with Always The Stranger (1983 & 1985) and After The Stranger (1986 & 1988.) No Man Is An Island Except The Isle Of Man started in 1989.