Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Phil Spector

R.I.P. Phil Spector

Legendary producer, rock-and-roll-hall-of-famer, and convicted murderer - dead at 81. TMZ is saying Covid, other sources are quoting the California Dept of Corrections press release, stating that the cause will be determined by the ME.

What an amazing, though erratic, career and impact he had.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...er-1234887057/

Let's not forget his murder conviction.

RIP to his victim, not him.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

He produced my favorite Ramones album (allegedly at gun point). RIP

I had not realized that his career reached 2003, where Starsailor apparently got him to produce two tracks for their album at the time.

From NME back in 2003:

STARSAILOR frontman JAMES WALSH says it would be a “great honour” if they were the last band to have worked with troubled producer PHIL SPECTOR but that it would feel “strange”.
    The band coaxed the legend into the studio to help them out on their second album ‘Silence Is Easy’, and he produced two tracks shortly before being arrested on a murder charge. And while Walsh admits Spector’s methods were unorthodox, he was not prepared for the shock news that he had been arrested on suspicion of murder.
    Walsh said: “It feels strange really. The time we spent with him, he was eccentric but by no means was there any indication that he could be capable of anything that serious. It would obviously be a great honour if we were to be the last band. But also it would mean the loss of someone so good who had given so much to music.”
    When asked how strange Spector was to work with, Walsh replied: “I think it was an amazing experience first and foremost. To see, for example, the way he could make a string quartet sound like an orchestra. His hours were very unconventional. He started at six at night and finished at four in the morning. That was quite hard work. He didn’t want to use anything modern, any pro-tools or anything like that. Whatever you recorded, stuck. You couldn’t really go back over anything and say ‘That could sound better or that could sound better’. In the end, two of the songs he did are on the album – ‘Silence Is Easy’ and ‘White Dove’. That style suited those two songs better than the other ones.

The very definition of a 'problematic legacy'. Maybe the first pop/rock producer-writer auteur figure; he had an image as big as the artists he wrote and produced for. No question that he was responsible for some of the very best records of the 60s, and some of the best solo Beatles records of the 70s as well. But a disturbed individual, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The very definition of a 'problematic legacy'. Maybe the first pop/rock producer-writer auteur figure; he had an image as big as the artists he wrote and produced for. No question that he was responsible for some of the very best records of the 60s, and some of the best solo Beatles records of the 70s as well. But a disturbed individual, to say the least.
    Yes, I'm inclined to agree. It's sad that he ended up the way he did, as it didn't have to be that way. He could have spent the rest of his life doing more; he had wealth and a legacy -- but these things aren't what bring true happiness.

He did a terrible thing, and while IMO he's not on the same level as someone like Charles Manson, or Jeffrey Dahmer, it will loom over his legacy indefinitely (and it should not be ignored). But he went to prison, and ended up dying there -- he's paid the price for his crimes. Sadly that can't undo the damage he did to Lana Clarkson and her friends/family.

Such a waste.

^No, not a mass murderer, but it's not even 'just' (!) the murder. Look at some of the stories of how he treated Ronnie Spector (as was). And the various stories of unhinged behaviour in recording sessions- firing guns etc. It's not that surprising that he was quoted as being highly defensive of Ike Turner's transgressions.

But it's an artistic legacy which cannot really be 'cancelled'. It's too big.

He was a crackpot long before the murder. The stories from Lennon's Rock and Roll album debacle are legendary.

But, yes, he had great talent and was a true pioneer. Aside from the tragedy of the murder, the other tragedy is that such great talent was wasted on a such a sad excuse for a human being.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

RIP only to his survivors and the woman he murdered. Phil is the epitome of ugly bastard who made great art. Here's a tidbit from his Wiki page: Spector's sons Gary and Donté both stated that their father kept them captive as children, and they were forced to simulate sex acts with his girlfriend.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A great artist but a terrible excuse for a human being. No Rest in Peace from me.

Lana Clarkson's ghost approves

Before I was aware of his studio craft, the first time I ever saw or even heard of him was when he played the buyer in Easy Rider.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    In his honor I'll only be spinning music recorded in mono tonight.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

He deprived the world of Lana Clarkson.

Frankly I never heard anything special in his "wall of sound" production. I always thought it sounded like shit.

Just looked Spector up in Wikipedia to refresh my memory. What an arsehole.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

^No, not a mass murderer, but it's not even 'just' (!) the murder. Look at some of the stories of how he treated Ronnie Spector (as was). And the various stories of unhinged behaviour in recording sessions- firing guns etc. It's not that surprising that he was quoted as being highly defensive of Ike Turner's transgressions.
    Yikes... Me and my big mouth... I'm sure there's a lot about him I don't know. And I don't doubt those stories of him being abusive; it checks out. But I'm not happy that he died either (and I'm not meaning to imply that you are). He was a talented artist, but also a very screwed up individual who damaged the lives of those around him. It's all sad.

Nor should it be cancelled really, IMO. He wasn't the only person involved in making those records. I'm not going to throw out my copy of Let It Be, to put it another way.

^I wasn't criticising you in any way. Even the obituaries have only focussed on what he was jailed for. I do listen to his productions (Ronettes, Crystals, Righteous Brothers etc.) fairly regularly. One of the ultimate 'judge the art, not the artist' cases, and the art definitely withstands everything else. The contributions of the singers and other writers involved with the records were as much a part of the songs' success as his.

In the case of Let It Be, I think George Martin's wry remark that the credit should have been 'over-produced by Phil Spector' is more appropriate. He made some good calls with those Get Back tapes but also some very bad ones. It's not a popular opinion among Beatles fans, but I much prefer Let It Be...Naked to listen to. It's no more 'audio verite' than Spector's version of the album, but it's a more enjoyable listening experience for me. (I am not a fan of Glyn Johns' version which I find even worse than Spector's.)

Here's a fairly balanced obituary here, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-so-many-lives

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He produced my favorite Ramones album (allegedly at gun point). RIP
    As I understand it, it's not even a real Ramones album, since they almost didn't play on it. Only DeeDee played on most tracks, the rest having been thrown out of the studio (yes at gunpoint) before starting the actual album.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    He did a terrible thing, and while IMO he's not on the same level as someone like Charles Manson, or Jeffrey Dahmer, it will loom over his legacy indefinitely (and it should not be ignored).
    I understand he was bipolar (as was Pastorius, btw), and held that from his dad.

While it doesn't compare at all, but at least jail played some kind of redemption with (ex-Manson buddy) Bobby Beausioleil's carceral music œuvre (Lucifer Rising is stunning)

It's not that surprising that he was quoted as being highly defensive of Ike Turner's transgressions.

While Ike destroyed Tina physically, Spector distroyed her sonically.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    He was a crackpot long before the murder. The stories from Lennon's Rock and Roll album debacle are legendary.

But, yes, he had great talent and was a true pioneer. Aside from the tragedy of the murder, the other tragedy is that such great talent was wasted on a such a sad excuse for a human being.
    I'm not even sure of that!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Frankly I never heard anything special in his "wall of sound" production. I always thought it sounded like shit.
    TBH, I never really thought his "wall of sound" changed much in the rock-pop realm. TBH, I always wondered if that was not a journalist thing
    Maybe someone could explain (elsewhere or here) what that WoS was really something new. I just don't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Just looked Spector up in Wikipedia to refresh my memory. What an arsehole.
    Yup, but he's hardly the only rock-pop alumni to crowd the jails for murder.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nor should it be cancelled really, IMO. He wasn't the only person involved in making those records. I'm not going to throw out my copy of Let It Be, to put it another way.
    I never understood those that detested his Let It Be sonic imprint. To me, it sounds like just another Beatles record.
    I heard the Naked version, and I really do not find it an improvement.
    I've lived my whole life until Naked with the Spector prod, and I will not change.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Darlene Love on Phil Specter's passing
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...death-1115794/
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Good riddance! POS!

I'm okay with Let It Be not naked. The guy was scum. But I don't need to hear LIB naked.