Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Phil Spector

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I wasn't criticising you in any way. Even the obituaries have only focussed on what he was jailed for. I do listen to his productions (Ronettes, Crystals, Righteous Brothers etc.) fairly regularly. One of the ultimate 'judge the art, not the artist' cases, and the art definitely withstands everything else. The contributions of the singers and other writers involved with the records were as much a part of the songs' success as his.
    It's all good; I didn't think you were criticizing me, and I hope it didn't seem like I was criticizing you because that wasn't my intention at all. You made good points, and I was just attempting to expound on them. The "Me and my big mouth" comment was because I opened my mouth without much knowledge of Spector's record of abusive behavior towards his family, and I was a bit embarrassed.

Reminds me of the saying: "It's better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In the case of Let It Be, I think George Martin's wry remark that the credit should have been 'over-produced by Phil Spector' is more appropriate. He made some good calls with those Get Back tapes but also some very bad ones. It's not a popular opinion among Beatles fans, but I much prefer Let It Be...Naked to listen to. It's no more 'audio verite' than Spector's version of the album, but it's a more enjoyable listening experience for me. (I am not a fan of Glyn Johns' version which I find even worse than Spector's.)
    Over-produced is probably accurate. I'm still fond of it simply because that's the version of those songs I grew up hearing.

I grew up with the original Let it Be but the naked version works for me as well. It's just looking at a semi-great album in a new way.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I own both, Spectored Original and Naked. Don't dislike either form of the album. It's the Beatles!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Darlene Love on Phil Specter's passing
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...death-1115794/
    Thanks for sharing. That was a very insightful read.

I prefer the original "Get Back" album. I wish it would get released,
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Boy, what a jerk

There were producers who had a 'sonic imprint' before Spector- Sam Phillips at Sun springs to mind, with the famous 'slapback echo' sound. But that was a more basic sound, in a way, probably the 50s Sun recordings were pretty much live with small bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I prefer the original "Get Back" album. I wish it would get released,
    I also think it should probably come out for historic purposes, but I find it a mess. Sloppy takes, bad editing. I can see why it didn't come out at the time.

Spector at least mostly got the take choices right, with one exception. ...Naked had a better take of 'The Long And Winding Road' than the one Spector chose and overdubbed. (I think the ...Naked take is the version in the film as well.) I also don't understand how 'Don't Let Me Down' was left off the original, although some have speculated it's because it was on the US album Hey Jude already.

He was the type of abuser the world would be a better place without him.

Good riddance!
    Last edited by spacefreak; 01-19-2021 at 06:27 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Another sick wack job gone. And another rich man of power that thought he was entitled to abuse. True that people with mental illness can produce great art, but he crossed the line many times into the heart of evil. I do acknowledge what he did for the early to mid-sixties "Girl" groups, but that's about it. IMO he ruined Let It Be. Thank God The Beatles estate released Let It Be Naked, much much better! Hope he rots in Hell, and hope he gets a visitor soon...Harvey Weinstein.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I saw a doc on him and in it was a song IIRC he sang that was really disturbing, not only the song but that it got recorded and released. You would think the record industry would notice a sicko in their midst but no they actually encouraged him.

I found The Bouy's take on cannibalism quite funny with Timothy but that song by Spector was not right.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Frankly I never heard anything special in his "wall of sound" production. I always thought it sounded like shit.
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    He was the type of abuser the world would be a better place without him.

Good riddance!
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20....musicmonthly4