Thread: FEATURED CD: Neal Morse - Lifeline

FEATURED CD: Neal Morse - Lifeline

Review from ProgArchives (Zitro)
    I wish there were a 3.5 star rating, this would be the perfect candidate.

Seems like Neal Morse is in need of some inspiration. He keeps repeating himself musically and lyrically, and it's starting to work against him. However, despite being generally unadventurous played safe, it's a very good album. Neal Morse, due to not taking many risks and played to his strengths on his epics, and due to his songwriting talents, Neal Morse songs rarely are mediocre.

The opening song and title track is so derivative and familiar that it could be a neat overture to his previous four prog albums and his Transatlantic compositions. The problem with the song is when it was released, leaving an impression that you've heard all of this music before, as competent as it sounds. Let me explain: the piano intro reminds of The Creation, the overture mixes the intro to Yes' Endless Dream with bits that really remind of The Door and stuff from the second Transatlantic album. When he sings, the verses sound like "At the End of the Day", the pre-choruses remind of Transatlantic again and the chorus sounds familiar for some reason and is actually not that good: the vocal melody is too poppy. Then it plays the melody in the piano intro (that sounds like a main theme of One) with a guitar/synth unison and sounds very good, but something you heard before. Then you get a random instrumental jam reminiscent of the jams of Sola Scriptura, but with some pretty weak rock riffs alternating with an awful processed vocal line Send me a Lifeliiiiiiiine that sounded very familiar as well. Familiar melodies lead to the next verse/choruses and the chorus line He gave me a lifeline is played with the The Creation recycled melody, which in this case fits perfectly. The song ends with the same melody playing with a Jesus is My Lifeline line instead. Very nice restrained outro I got to admit, but this song is not perfect and is too derivative musically and lyrically

Then there's a humorous and slightly out of place prog-metal piece Leviathan. Opening with funny ominous synths and horn riffs. The verses continue the goofy prog-metal while the choruses are beatleish. Then silly lyrics playing on a mellotron-drenched background alternate with other hard rock riff until a silly instrumental that combines metal with vibraphone leads into the themes of the beginning with the Beatle chorus leading into a fast-paced heavy metal break where Mike Portnoy is on fire. The song ends as it began: goofy synths. The song is fun I guess, you can tell the band was enjoying themselves while making this, but it could have worked wonders as a bonus track.

Then there are four ballads, typical Morse ballads with overtly Christian lyrics. This is what could divide the Neal Morse fans. For the ones who enjoy his ballads and Christian songs, then you will find these songs uplifting and pretty nice at the least, if familiar. For the one who want prog, they may bring disappointment. These kinds of songs work very well on his concept album as part of the story, but having many of them can make them sound like songs aimed for Christian rock radio. I personally enjoy them all nevertheless. They're well written, catchy and memorable: the way Christian music should sound in my opinion.

Luckily, So Many Roads turns this good but non-essential album into a very good one. While it is again derivative lyrically (he did this already in Testimony) and doesn't break new ground, it plays to his strengths, is extremely coherent, and is musically very enjoyable. The theme of the song (deciding on what to do in life, looking at possibilities, and finally choosing to be a Jesus follower) make the epic be varied and divided into different sounding sections. It seems Neal Morse too advantage of this structure and apart from Star for a Day he made every section outstanding and he connected everything extremely well, despite how different parts sound from each other. Not only that, he made a varied epic extremely accessible and easy to get into. The first section doesn't wait to get started, with a very memorable fanfare synth melody. The 1st section is singer-songwriter for the most part but there's a watery synth passage that comes unexpectedly and sounds quite refreshing. Star for a Day is my least favorite part as it repeat things a bit too much and its sound is derivate (think of Hanging in the Balance and California Nights). I found it amusing that he referenced Britney Spears. Again, with great coherence the music leads into Humdrum Life, which is my favorite section as it really sounds as something that Neal Morse hasn't done before. It is an charming acoustic jazz piece with two saxophones playing in the background and an upbeat pace. The melodies are very memorable and when Neal Morse lets the saxophones take the centerstage, their dual solo is incredible. A new in between sections theme is introduced: So Many Roads vocal harmonies and a gentle guitar/mellotron theme is interrupted by the hammond-driven rocker All the Way to the Grave, singing of the idea of partying, getting drugged and living it up. It is here when he finds God: great symphonic buildup on The Eyes of the Savior. The song ends with variations of the themes in the first section, and his pretending to be in front of the audience, going "wooo" "oh yeah" "can you feel it" "yaaaa" "haha" as he always does on epics, which always annoyed me, but what can I do? Anyways, this is a really great epic, and due to its similarities to Testimony it shows you how much he grew musically since that album.

Despite my complaints, Neal Morse fans should own this album. So Many Roads is, for the most part, a masterful composition and the main reason to own the album for the casual fans of Neal Morse and symphonic rock fans who are not familiar of him. This album is also a good starting point for Christians who are not progressive rock listeners as it is accessible, melodic, and much better than the average Christian Contemporary Music. Testimony might be more emotional, but non-prog listeners would be overwhelmed by its duration.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I absolutely love Neal's stuff but this is the weaker of his albums for me personally. "So Many Roads" has its moments, but he's done MANY epic-length tracks that just appeal to me more. This album just seems what might be called "Neal By Numbers". It's good but not great, when stacked against the tremendous stuff on his other albums that moves me so much. Love the guy, but this is the one album that falls a little short. IMO.

Guess i'm in the minority but this is in my 'top three' Neal albums. I like the idea of shorter songs with just one 'epic'. I guess the guy just can't win as when he releases a concept album of 'epics' he gets lambasted for being samey, releases an album of shorter songs & still gets 'lambasted'.
    I think the track 'Lifeline' ranks amongst his best melodies ever !!!!

I have no idea why anyone would "lambaste" Neal based on the length of his songs. The album could be thirty 2-minute songs or an hour-long epic for all I care. The question is, as always, are they good? In the case of Lifeline, my answer is: not as good as they usually are.

The track "So Many Roads" is one of my favorite Neal tunes ever....
    www.canvasproductions.net

Lifeline, ugg... One of my least favorite Neal prog albums. Probabably 2nd to the bottom, sitting just on top of Sola Scriptura which covers the floor. This is a period that I really lost interest in Neal's work. On Lifeline he just seemed lost for ideas, and retreaded past works in a less appealing way. That said, I now have regained interest since the amazing "Seeds of Gold" epic from T2, and the "Momentum" CD which is an excellent return to form.

It seems that most folks are agreed that Lifeline isn't the most favored release of Neal's, although many people concede that it's not really bad either, just doesn't try much new.

My favorites are the songs he's played on recent tours: "Lifeline", "Leviathan" and "Fly High", the first two simply rage live and are a lot of fun. Classic Neal. I'm not personally hooked by the epic "So Many Roads", though I know some people really like it. There are several songs that border more on the material in his worship CDs and I could see that those would turn off some folks. But those 3 tracks I mentioned are strong winners in my book, and will stay in my regular playlist.

Given the many other highpoints in Neal's career ("One" and "Momentum" being two of my faves), this isn't the best release for newcomers, and also one that not many Neal-devotees will keep in heavy rotation. But so many prog bands don't get near this level in their songwriting or delivery, it's hard for me to criticize this album too much.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canvas View Post
    The track "So Many Roads" is one of my favorite Neal tunes ever....
    I agree, but better on the live three set. As for "Lifeline," I do enjoy, more than the new one, but nothing has topped ? .
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't have too much to say about this album, but this choice got me listening to Testimony last night. Time to revisit some of Neal's post-SB albums to see what I think now that a few years have passed.

I agree with those who consider this one weak in comparison with his previous work, is the only one I don't own a physical copy.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

I try to stay out of Neal Morse threads, as I can't stand PreachRock, but this part amused me in the review:

The song ends with variations of the themes in the first section, and his pretending to be in front of the audience, going "wooo" "oh yeah" "can you feel it" "yaaaa" "haha" as he always does on epics, which always annoyed me, but what can I do?
    Is he still doing that? It was passable on his Transatlantic records and "Snow," but man, I agree that'd get tiresome.

Don't much agree with the review quoted at the beginning; I haven't got every single Neal Morse solo album, but I think the least appealing to me personally is 'One'. Honestly, I enjoy the cover version bonuses more. 'Sola Scriptura' is a bit tiresome for me, and I'm a big fan of Morse generally. Whereas the title-track on 'Lifeline' and the manic "Leviathan" are very much among my favourite Neal Morse tunes. Ironically, the epic "So many roads" doesn't do much for me. The concluding epic tracks on the most recent two albums both blow it out of the water, but perhaps I haven't listened to it recently enough to be fair about it.
    Anyway, the point I'm really making is that the track "Lifeline" is barnstormingly wonderful, as far as I'm concerned. After "Leviathan", my interest in the album tapers off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    Don't much agree with the review quoted at the beginning; I haven't got every single Neal Morse solo album, but I think
    the least appealing to me personally is 'One'. Honestly, I enjoy the cover version bonuses more. 'Sola Scriptura' is a bit tiresome for me, and I'm a big fan of Morse generally. Whereas the title-track on 'Lifeline' and the manic "Leviathan" are very much among my favourite Neal Morse tunes. Ironically, the epic "So many roads" doesn't do much for me. The concluding epic tracks on the most recent two albums both blow it out of the water, but perhaps I haven't listened to it recently enough to be fair about it.
    Anyway, the point I'm really making is that the track "Lifeline" is barnstormingly wonderful, as far as I'm concerned. After "Leviathan", my interest in the album tapers off.
    Generally agree with this ...it def,o better than ONE , which is generally the only Neal album i don't really care for !