Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Prog Rock Singers: A Top 30 Countdown

Though I love Focus, I don't understand why Thijs van Leer is on that list. Just because of the occasional yodeling?

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    I feel they should've included Dream Theater's James LaBrie on the list!
    Why? He is the single most boring vocalist that I could think of. Don't get me wrong, of course he can sing but even in Prog Metal there
    are at least a hundedred better lead vocalist.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's a pretty decent list - I would drop, however, Peter Hammil altogther. I would replace him with Jon Anderson as number one.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Nice call by Mr. Scissors with Inga Rumpf

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Why? He is the single most boring vocalist that I could think of. Don't get me wrong, of course he can sing but even in Prog Metal there
    are at least a hundedred better lead vocalist.
    The way I read starless and bible black's post, he was just trying to stir up trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's a pretty decent list - I would drop, however, Peter Hammil altogther. I would replace him with Jon Anderson as number one.
    That's crazy talk! Actually, I never really thought of Jon Anderson as being a particularly "talented" vocalist, although his voice is unique and suited to the music (at least it used to be unique). Not that being a particularly "talented" vocalist is a requirement to be considered the "greatest" vocalist. However, I do think Hammill is a talented vocalist, and his voice suits the music too.

CTTOI, being one of the "greatest" vocalists probably SHOULD include being able to write good lyrics as well. I prefer Hammill's lyrics to Anderson's, although as many have said (including me), Anderson is good at writing lyrics that suit his voice, and his voice and lyrics suit Yes very well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Though I love Focus, I don't understand why Thijs van Leer is on that list. Just because of the occasional yodeling?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.

Correct! Would love to hear a few VDGG with Hammill's voice mixed out!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't think the task of replacing Jon Anderson was THAT unenviable, since it's clearly not that hard to find singers who sound a lot like him.
    I disagree here, sounding a bit like Jon Anderson is one thing, but his voice has more richness to it than the imitators have found, I think his is quite a unique voice in progressive music.

Density Cluster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Where is
    Demetrio Stratos
    Christian Vander (and assorted singers in Magma)

Usual problem - what is prog, and why just 30?
    These, in particular, are great choices. I do rather love that Hammill topped the list though, unexpected, and in my mind, well-deserved.

More because of Hamburger Concerto, Round Goes the Gossip, and other signs that he's a brilliant singer when he wants to be.

I agree that the order is problematic, but I agonized over it a lot and finally threw my hands up. I didn't include Winwood et al (Bowie, Ferry....), so that other, less obvious singers who are more strictly aligned with prog could be included. Most of the Facebook complaints have said that Gary Brooker should have been higher, and I think that's a fair point.

And I agree that dropping Hammill would be crazy talk of the first division.

Peace and love,
    Guy who did the list
    Last edited by bRETT; 01-19-2021 at 12:16 AM.

No Renate Knaup. I'd take her over any of the females in the list.

No Mr Doctor?

Pretty good list, but I take exception with S.W. being among all those real singers. And come on, I love Maddy Prior as much as the next guy, but her connection with prog is pretty tenuous.

Good on them for sticking up for Sally Oldfield, though. Talk about underrated talents!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    No Renate Knaup. I'd take her over any of the females in the list.
    I love her too. I also enjoy Chris Karrer’s goofy voice, but I seem to be in the minority with that one.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Can you have Geddy Lee but not David Surkamp?
    Adrian Belew but not John Wetton?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Can you have Geddy Lee but not David Surkamp?
    Adrian Belew but not John Wetton?
    John Wetton is there.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Maddy Prior, prog????!!!!

Any list not including Krause, Stratos, Di Giacomo, Decamps, Surkamp, Knaup, Rumpf shows limited appreciation of the genre.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think that the British folk rock explosion of the late Sixties and early Seventies gave us some of the most progressive rock that's ever been made so Maddy Prior is well worth her place on the list.

Not only should Peter Hammill be removed from VdGG-recordings, he should be replaced by someone much, much better and fitting that I personally like and can relate to. Not only that, but Laurence Olivier should be digitally removed from all of his movies and be equally digitally replaced with either Chuck Norris or Sho Kosugi.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Not only should Peter Hammill be removed from VdGG-recordings, he should be replaced by someone much, much better and fitting that I personally like and can relate to. Not only that, but Laurence Olivier should be digitally removed from all of his movies and be equally digitally replaced with either Chuck Norris or Sho Kosugi.
    Removing Peter Hammill from VdGG-recordings?
    Who should replace him? Justin Bieber?
    Or Madonna?

I would also like to have the Jimmy Hendrix Experience classic albums with Jimmy Hendrix's guitar mixed out.

but Laurence Olivier should be digitally removed from all of his movies and be equally digitally replaced with either Chuck Norris or Sho Kosugi.
    WTF - Haha! Missing in Action II - The Beginning!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Banned
    Removing Peter Hammill from VdGG-recordings?
    Who should replace him? Justin Bieber?
    Or Madonna?
    The obvious stand in for PH would be Saylor Twift...

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Maddy Prior, prog????!!!!.

Classic Steeleye got pretty damn close to prog. The article names King Henry and Long Lankin but you could add Thomas the Rhymer, Sir James the Rose, and the entirety of the Storm Force Ten album (the recent Wintersmith too).

There's also Maddy's longstanding Tull connection, and as noted, "Hiawatha" is arguably the greatest vocal ever on an Oldfield album-- She;d get in for that alone. And we didn't even mention Mandalaband.

Although not prog throughout his whole career Demis Roussos was one helluva singer. The problem with the list is that it ignores the rest of the World

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree on Peter for sure... Jon for sure would be near the top of my list.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    The obvious stand in for PH would be Saylor Twift...
    Hey. You leave Trailer Swift alone.