Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Greatest Prog Rock Singers: A Top 30 Countdown

I thought it was interesting that (re: Genesis vocalists) Collins ranked higher than Gabriel, and (re: Marillion vocalists) Hogarth ranked higher than Fish. Wonder what the hardcore prog fans of those two groups would think about that.

Hammill taking the top spot, makes sense -- fantastic range of styles, emotions, etc.

If nothing else, this article turned me onto Robert Wyatt's version of "I'm a Believer" (it's the clip chosen by Udiscover to showcase his singing chops). I very much like the classic Monkees version, but by changing the chords up (played on piano) during the verses, it gives the song a totally different (and wonderful) feel. Searched out a video perf of RW performing it on TOTP. Interesting clip with Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), Andy Summers (pre-Police), Fred Frith (Henry Cow), and others along for the ride.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I thought it was interesting that (re: Genesis vocalists) Collins ranked higher than Gabriel, and (re: Marillion vocalists) Hogarth ranked higher than Fish. Wonder what the hardcore prog fans of those two groups would think about that.
    I'm a hardcore fan, and I agree with both Hogarth and Collins as the top choices.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

If nothing else, this article turned me onto Robert Wyatt's version of "I'm a Believer" (it's the clip chosen by Udiscover to showcase his singing chops). I very much like the classic Monkees version, but by changing the chords up (played on piano) during the verses, it gives the song a totally different (and wonderful) feel. Searched out a video perf of RW performing it on TOTP. Interesting clip with Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), Andy Summers (pre-Police), Fred Frith (Henry Cow), and others along for the ride.
    The producer of TOTP didn't want Robert to be in his wheelchair onscreen because he was afraid it would upset viewers. Robert refused to be on without it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Although not prog throughout his whole career Demis Roussos was one helluva singer.
    Yes, most of his career has been cheese, but he did indeed have an excellent singing voice. And he sang the Hell out of the songs on 666!

Say what you will about their respective solo careers, I would agree that Phil is probably technically a better singer than Peter. I really like both of them as singers, probably equally, but I do think that Phil is a phenomenal singer, and much underrated for his singing, especially here.

I’m kind of over Marillion whoever is singing. Fight that battle out amongst yourselves.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Yes, most of his career has been cheese, but he did indeed have an excellent singing voice. And he sang the Hell out of the songs on 666!

Say what you will about their respective solo careers, I would agree that Phil is probably technically a better singer than Peter. I really like both of them as singers, probably equally, but I do think that Phil is a phenomenal singer, and much underrated for his singing, especially here.

I’m kind of over Marillion whoever is singing. Fight that battle out amongst yourselves.
    That's my position too - on Phil. I'm a much bigger fan of Gabriel's solo material compared to Phil but he is technically superior. For Hogarth, the large majority of their catalog is Steve-led. He's vocals, to me, are far more emotive/compelling - listen to Brave, for instance. I still like Fish but just prefer Hogarth.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Say what you will about their respective solo careers, I would agree that Phil is probably technically a better singer than Peter.
    For a brief moment I thought you were suggesting that Phil is a better singer than Peter Hammill, and thought that you had gone mad

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    For a brief moment I thought you were suggesting that Phil is a better singer than Peter Hammill, and thought that you had gone mad
    Peter Hammill is a singular talent, and not comparable to anyone.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Peter Hammill is a singular talent, and not comparable to anyone.
    And a nice guy to speak with