Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deus ex Machina news.

Deus ex Machina news.

Hey folks, anyone got insider info as to whats happening in DEM camps? Cheers.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You forgot the question mark at the end of your thread title!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You forgot the question mark at the end of your thread title!
    Agree, I was hoping to read news on this great band. I opened the thread wishing it would contain something on the reissue of the older albums, it was quite a while that there was mention of this on this site if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    Agree, I was hoping to read news on this great band. I opened the thread wishing it would contain something on the reissue of the older albums, it was quite a while that there was mention of this on this site if I remember correctly.
    I hope there's some news too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    Those were planed by Altrock, as the lable is ashes there won't happen anything in that direction…

Please don't post thread titels in that way if you have no News, I nearly got a Cardiac Arrest reading it.

No news that I know, but they never tell me anything!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Steve, did they gig anything at all in the wake of Devoto? I seem to remember a couple of concerts in Italy lined up in one of your "label tour updates" in here, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I thought Devoto was their greatest thing since Equilibrismo. One of a kind!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There was some footage online from one of the few gigs they did after "Devoto" was released. I only heard about it after the fact - otherwise I would probably have tried to be there. Let's hope they return eventually.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Steve, did they gig anything at all in the wake of Devoto? I seem to remember a couple of concerts in Italy lined up in one of your "label tour updates" in here, but I may be wrong.
    They played ProgDay in North Carolina. I was happy to get to see that.

They played a couple of dates in Italy and they filmed this at one of them and released this.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    March, 2018 is 18 months later than I ever heard a peep about!

Good news. They're not dead! They're just pining for the fjords.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Anyway, I thought Devoto was their greatest thing since Equilibrismo. One of a kind!
    Nice to hear; I think that a lot of people didn't seem to get it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

They played a couple of dates in Italy and they filmed this at one of them and released this.

Yum...my personal fave from Devoto

And oh yeah...it was so very awesome to see them at Progday again. I don't want to disparage Fabrizio because he was damned cool and his work with them was awesome...but for whatever reason Luigi's keyboard work with them always just hits me the right way...and it was a thrill to see him with them once more on the field
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

This thread has inspired me to pull out Devoto and give it a spin. This is a good thing.

neil

My wife and I dropped in unannounced to Scolopendra in Bologna in June 2018 when we were visiting. Fortuitously, Alberto was there, and was extremely happy to meet two weirdo Deus Ex Machina fans from the States. He gave us a vinyl copy of their live album, which I believe is no my only vinyl LP.

We did talk about the band's future, and he said they were taking a rest after Devoto (which I also love, btw). But when the time was right, the band would "awaken from slumber," as I believe he put it. Obviously, that was two-and-a-half years ago, but it's been a weird time this past year. My guess is they play occasionally, and at some point will get the itch to do another album, but likely don't feel any pressure to do it on any kind of timetable. I hope it happens, I'd definitely be in for anything they did!

Bill

20180626_170207_Film1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    We did talk about the band's future, and he said they were taking a rest after Devoto (which I also love, btw). But when the time was right, the band would "awaken from slumber," as I believe he put it.
    Hey Bill

Great story
    Great photo
    "Steve! We have awakened from our slumber!" is actually how I think I remember him writing to me to tell me that the band was doing a new album (Devoto) and wanting to know if I was interested.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Hey Bill

Great story
    Great photo
    "Steve! We have awakened from our slumber!" is actually how I think I remember him writing to me to tell me that the band was doing a new album (Devoto) and wanting to know if I was interested.
    LOL! That's definitely Alberto! Quite a character! He was so gracious and kind to us, and it really was an thrill for us meeting him and having a quick chat. I could have spent $20,000 in Scolopendra, too! Man, did they have some nice stuff!

Bill

LOL! That's definitely Alberto! Quite a character!
    I have quite a number of Alberto stories!

They really mostly are not for posting. If we ever meet and you remind me, I'll tell you one or two....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

LOL! That's definitely Alberto! Quite a character! He was so gracious and kind to us, and it really was an thrill for us meeting him and having a quick chat. I could have spent $20,000 in Scolopendra, too! Man, did they have some nice stuff!

Bill
    Bill, that is such an awesome story. I would love to visit that store some day! I thought they sold albums, but had no idea that they sold instruments, too? What other treasures lurk there?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Bill, that is such an awesome story. I would love to visit that store some day! I thought they sold albums, but had no idea that they sold instruments, too? What other treasures lurk there?

Neil
    Scolopendra is primarily a musical instrument shop. I too was surprised they didn't have more CDs and vinyl, I also thought they sold music. I actually brought a bunch of Eccentric Orbit CDs as a gift, figuring they could sell them. But if they did, they weren't selling them at Scolopendra, which only had a very modest selection of vinyl albums.

It was a nice coincidence, because we had been invited to visit Poggio Civitate, the Etruscan dig site near Murlo in Tuscany. We asked the director of the program there other places nearby he enjoyed, and the first word out of his mouth was, "Bologna." There's actually an incredible Etruscan archaeological site near Bologna, so we decided to take a chance. Now Bologna is one of our favorite places in Italy! There's tons to do and see, but it's not touristy like a lot of other Italian cities, and the food is to die for. So if you want to visit Scolopendra, combine it with a few days in Bologna and the surrounding countryside. It will be well worth you time!

Bill

I have quite a number of Alberto stories!

They really mostly are not for posting. If we ever meet and you remind me, I'll tell you one or two....

LOL! Sounds good! Hope to see you at a future event!

Bill

Scolopendra is primarily a musical instrument shop. I too was surprised they didn't have more CDs and vinyl, I also thought they sold music. I actually brought a bunch of Eccentric Orbit CDs as a gift, figuring they could sell them. But if they did, they weren't selling them at Scolopendra, which only had a very modest selection of vinyl albums.

It was a nice coincidence, because we had been invited to visit Poggio Civitate, the Etruscan dig site near Murlo in Tuscany. We asked the director of the program there other places nearby he enjoyed, and the first word out of his mouth was, "Bologna." There's actually an incredible Etruscan archaeological site near Bologna, so we decided to take a chance. Now Bologna is one of our favorite places in Italy! There's tons to do and see, but it's not touristy like a lot of other Italian cities, and the food is to die for. So if you want to visit Scolopendra, combine it with a few days in Bologna and the surrounding countryside. It will be well worth you time!

Bill
    Thanks for the tips. My girlfriend and I are both big fans of Italy, and would love to get over there and explore some of Northern, Italy. From what I've seen, it looks quite beautiful. Since it isn't as touristy...do many people speak much English?

neil

That was the Imparis DVD?

Nice to hear; I think that a lot of people didn't seem to get it.
    I also like Devoto very much. In fact I think it is my favourite Deus Ex Machina album. I like the more straightforward approach they took with this record. it really rocks!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Thanks for the tips. My girlfriend and I are both big fans of Italy, and would love to get over there and explore some of Northern, Italy. From what I've seen, it looks quite beautiful. Since it isn't as touristy...do many people speak much English?

neil
    Though not as prevalent as in some of the other touristy cities, English is still widely spoken. And in the cases it is not, the people were super friendly and helpful and we had no issues whatsoever. Definitely feel comfortable going there, it was wonderful!

Bill