Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Pat Metheny - From This Place

FEATURED ALBUM: Pat Metheny - From This Place

Continuing with some of the notable releases from 2020, next up is the excellent release from guitarist Pat Metheny.

Review from NPR

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/04/81156...rom-this-place

That liquid, crystalline tone; those airborne, searching melodies. They've been part of the jazz conversation for decades — ever since Pat Metheny's debut appeared back in 1976, when he was just 22-years-old. He's 65 now, an established star and the only recording artist in history to win a Grammy award in 10 different categories. On his latest album, From This Place, Metheny is pushing forward, still seeking breathtakingly new vistas.

In the notes he wrote to accompany the record, Metheny says he wanted to evoke the plush landscapes associated with American film music. To capture that cinematic sound, the album features both Metheny's current working quartet and the Hollywood Studio Symphony.

Metheny calls his new project a "culmination": It has the journeying spirit of the Pat Metheny Group and the fiery improvisational exchanges of his more recent jazz sessions. It's also a stretch beyond those horizons into textures and atmospheres not often heard in jazz.

The project began with Metheny's touring quartet, but rather than practice the new material on the road, as he's done in the past, Metheny gathered the musicians in the studio. He recorded their first encounters with these intricate compositions — without rehearsals. — and then surrounded the band's tracks with orchestral accompaniment. The result is something much more expansive than the typical soloist-with-strings kind of session. Running throughout, uniting everything, is the light, windswept lyricism that has always propelled Metheny's music.

The release of an elaborate project like this is usually a joyous event for an artist. This one is tinged with sadness: It arrives right after the death of Lyle Mays, Metheny's longtime keyboardist and collaborator. Its tranquil landscapes sometimes echo the work Metheny and Mays began decades ago, extending the spirit of that partnership into dazzling, new sonic realms.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

This is my favourite album of 2020 and probably of the last 10-15 years as well.
    It's a deep musical journey into feelings and emotions, it's a masterful work of art.
    It's been revealed that 6 further tracks have been recorded on those sessions, i highly hope they will be released in the near future.

I love what I'm hearing. Thanks for drawing my attention to this album.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 01-04-2021 at 07:32 AM.

What a great album!, top 10 here!

Love it!
    Good Call!

sweet long track

=================

BTW, another longtime ECM guitarist making a return (haven't seen it mentionned anywhere): here is Terje Rypdal - Conspiracy

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Kind of ironic that he released an album with such an apocalyptic cover image and opening track, and then had almost all of the tour postponed by the pandemic.

I need to return to this at some point...I remember getting it just as the craziness was starting to develop end of Feb, and the record sort of took on some of that vibe after which I stopped listening to it...but I remember liking it, and really enjoying Gwilym's playing.

This is a spectacular album, in some ways similar to Secret Story in scope, but I think the "band vibe" is stronger here. Can't wait to hear more from this group.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    sweet long track

=================

BTW, another longtime ECM guitarist making a return (haven't seen it mentionned anywhere): here is Terje Rypdal - Conspiracy

Sounds great but makes me want to take a nap.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    I need to return to this at some point...I remember getting it just as the craziness was starting to develop end of Feb, and the record sort of took on some of that vibe after which I stopped listening to it...but I remember liking it, and really enjoying Gwilym's playing.
    Same here. Wasn't in the same zone as this but its a great album no doubt. I do love PM but I have to be in the mood lately for his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yes, agree 100% Trane!

ps.: love it and gave it a solid 13 in Gnosis for example!

Just gave this a listen. Excellent album, it is indeed reminiscent of Secret Story. Lots of string and orchestral moments including Charles Bisharat from Shadowfax on violin. And Gwilym Simcock is one of my favorite keyboardists, I am so glad he's back.