Thread: Discipline - Chaos Out Of Order (1988 - 2013)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Discipline - Chaos Out Of Order (1988 - 2013)

This album is on Spotify. I don’t think I ever looked at it, or the title, closely, because I didn’t realize the compilation contains songs from AFTER Unfolded Like Staircase that aren’t on other albums. I thought it was all pre-Unfolded songs. Very interesting!

I just listened to Unfolded, and I’m now listening to To Shatter All Accord, but I’ll listen to Chaos Out Of Order next. Spotify picked one song from it to play when Unfolded ended - “Peacemaker” - and it was very good, although the audio quality was low.

OOPS! I was wrong - the notes on Bandcamp day it’s all written and recorded 1987-1988, except for Peacemaker, which was written earlier in 1987, with an earlier lineup. The other songs make up a concept album. That must have been a cassette-only release. Anyone know about that? Anyway, Peacemaker is good! I think Mickey Mouse Man is the only one I know.. I’ll listen to the whole thing shortly.

What a great band. Did you guys know Mark Monforti is running a preorder/crowdfunding campaign to get Unfolded remastered or something? Suddenly I want to get in on that, even though I was always happy enough with Unfolded as it is.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What a great band. Did you guys know Mik Monforti is running a preorder/crowdfunding campaign to get Unfolded remastered or something? Suddenly I want to get in on that, even though I was always happy enough with Unfolded as it is.
    The remaster is being discussed here: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...light=unfolded

This album is on Spotify. I donít think I ever looked at it, or the title, closely, because I didnít realize the compilation contains songs from AFTER Unfolded Like Staircase that arenít on other albums. I thought it was all pre-Unfolded songs. Very interesting!

I just listened to Unfolded, and Iím now listening to To Shatter All Accord, but Iíll listen to Chaos Out Of Order next. Spotify picked one song from it to play when Unfolded ended - ďPeacemakerĒ - and it was very good, although the audio quality was low.

OOPS! I was wrong - the notes on Bandcamp day itís all written and recorded 1987-1988, except for Peacemaker, which was written earlier in 1987, with an earlier lineup. The other songs make up a concept album. That must have been a cassette-only release. Anyone know about that? Anyway, Peacemaker is good! I think Mickey Mouse Man is the only one I know.. Iíll listen to the whole thing shortly.

What a great band. Did you guys know Mik Monforti is running a preorder/crowdfunding campaign to get Unfolded remastered or something? Suddenly I want to get in on that, even though I was always happy enough with Unfolded as it is.
    As you already said a Cassette only Album by the band. It's interesting to see the development of the band from that Phase, although tracks
    like Peacemaker and Wrists (the highlight) showed the Prog involvement of the band even before they knew what Prog even is.

Parts of this can be found live on the DVDs Bonus tracks.

Tracks like Mickey Mouse Man and Wrists where still performed in later years. Love every thing the did, although they lost half their appeal (at least) with
    Bouda leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Tracks like Mickey Mouse Man and Wrists where still performed in later years. Love every thing the did, although they lost half their appeal (at least) with Bouda leaving.
    I'm a big fan too. I agree that losing Bouda was a blow, but I think what they've done since then is very good - live and in-studio. I missed some of the festival performances that a lot of PE folks saw, though I was at the most recent Progday performance. And my introduction was at one of the Progscape festivals - introduced to Echolyn and Discipline on the same day - sweet! I think this was in '94, and then Echolyn played at Progfest in LA the next year. I may have the years a bit off. Anyway, the performance at Progscape was fantastic - Discipline made quite an impression on me!

Hey, Peter Renfro, tangential, but is there any chance of getting the Progday "Encore" CDs and all the other Progday releases up on streaming services? I own them all, but having them streaming would be handy for me. And, I assume, for others. I realize royalty-wise it could be a pain in the ass, but I believe the Progfest albums are on Spotify. Chad, the same goes for the NEARfest Records releases, which I don't THINK are on streaming services. Or are they?

No plans on streaming the ProgDay recordings - my contracts were for a limited run of physical CD's only. Most bands probably wouldn't object to having the material online, but I feel it would be up to each individual band. --Peter

This album is on Spotify. I don’t think I ever looked at it, or the title, closely, because I didn’t realize the compilation contains songs from AFTER Unfolded Like Staircase that aren’t on other albums. I thought it was all pre-Unfolded songs. Very interesting!

I just listened to Unfolded, and I’m now listening to To Shatter All Accord, but I’ll listen to Chaos Out Of Order next. Spotify picked one song from it to play when Unfolded ended - “Peacemaker” - and it was very good, although the audio quality was low.

OOPS! I was wrong - the notes on Bandcamp day it’s all written and recorded 1987-1988, except for Peacemaker, which was written earlier in 1987, with an earlier lineup. The other songs make up a concept album. That must have been a cassette-only release. Anyone know about that? Anyway, Peacemaker is good! I think Mickey Mouse Man is the only one I know.. I’ll listen to the whole thing shortly.

What a great band. Did you guys know Mark Monforti is running a preorder/crowdfunding campaign to get Unfolded remastered or something? Suddenly I want to get in on that, even though I was always happy enough with Unfolded as it is.
    I may be remembering my Discipline history wrong here, but I thought they had 2 cassette only releases back at the beginning of their career. When "Chaos" came out I was happy to finally get some of those songs on CD. They band had performed a lot of these songs live over the years. I think it is a great little release and well worth owning for anyone into Discipline.

Did you ever see the DVD from the early days when Matthew used to dress up in different costumes for each song?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Did you ever see the DVD from the early days when Matthew used to dress up in different costumes for each song?
    If you're talking about the one called Live 1995 (black cover with the white mask), I've got that. I'm fairly sure I have the complete Discipline/MP catalogue actually, barring cassette-only releases, that is. As for Chaos Out Of Order, I believe I bought that from LE as soon as it was released, but these things get foggy over time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I may be remembering my Discipline history wrong here, but I thought they had 2 cassette only releases back at the beginning of their career. When "Chaos" came out I was happy to finally get some of those songs on CD. They band had performed a lot of these songs live over the years. I think it is a great little release and well worth owning for anyone into Discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    If you're talking about the one called Live 1995 (black cover with the white mask), I've got that. I'm fairly sure I have the complete Discipline/MP catalogue actually, barring cassette-only releases, that is. As for Chaos Out Of Order, I believe I bought that from LE as soon as it was released, but these things get foggy over time.
    I have the DVD, and I THINK I had a more home-made VHS tape before that, of some of the same stuff. At the Progscape show he was dressed up in a sort of toga for Canto IV, but I don't think he wore any other costumes. It was a great show.

There was a second Cassette with only two tracks: 1.Faces of the Petty 2.Mickey Mouse Man

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, I am pretty sure that is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There was a second Cassette with only two tracks: 1.Faces of the Petty 2.Mickey Mouse Man
    Ah...that must be what I was thinking of.

I have the DVD, and I THINK I had a more home-made VHS tape before that, of some of the same stuff. At the Progscape show he was dressed up in a sort of toga for Canto IV, but I don't think he wore any other costumes. It was a great show.
    If I am remembering right it was on a VHS tape first and then they put it out as part of a DVD. Even though Discipline were out of Detroit I did not become aware of them until ProgDay 97. By that time their 2nd keyboard player had left, so Matthew was no longer doing the costumes and spent his stage time behind the keys. At one time in the mid-90's Echolyn and Discipline played a show about 10 minutes from my house, but I had no clue about either band so did not go. I really wish I had been at that one.

Back in the late 90s I met a guy on r.m.progresive who was a college student from Detroit. He was a HUGE Discipline fan (and Genesis /Hackett), and he came and visited me (he was going to NYU), and brought all his Genesis/Hackett/Discipline rarities to show me. He was super-enthusiastic, and apparently knew the guys from Discipline. I wish I could remember his name!

Anyway, he dubbed me a copy of a full board-recording of a show at The Magic Bag in Detroit. It was fantastic, and had several of the big numbers that ended up on To Shatter All Accord, as well as much of Unfolded... I might still have it, but not sure. Discipline should put a couple shows like that up on Bandcamp!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Chad, the same goes for the NEARfest Records releases, which I don't THINK are on streaming services. Or are they?
    They are not. My contracts for the recordings I released under NEARfest Records were also only for CDs. I agree with Peter, it's totally up to the bands at this point. If any of them want their recordings for whatever reason, they are welcome to contact me. I don't have the time, interest or disposable income to get back in the record label business.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I don't have the time, interest or disposable income to get back in the record label business.
    That's the trifecta of no!

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    They are not. My contracts for the recordings I released under NEARfest Records were also only for CDs. I agree with Peter, it's totally up to the bands at this point. If any of them want their recordings for whatever reason, they are welcome to contact me. I don't have the time, interest or disposable income to get back in the record label business.
    Yeah, I understand that. It was just a pipe dream!