Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train compilation w/some new material

Big Big Train compilation w/some new material

Big Big Train released a new double compilation CD on Christmas, titled Summers Lease. Haven’t seen a thread on this but it includes some new material: Don't Forget the Telescope (instrumental written by Nick D'Virgilio), Wind Distorted Pioneers (previously just live versions), Expecting Snow (updated with new keyboards), 3 live in the studio tracks (Kingmaker, Summers Lease and Master James of St George) and the 34 minute London Song (instrumentation added to previous download-only track).
    https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/summers-lease
    Last edited by Wah3; 01-13-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Actually, that was first released way back in March, although it was an import. It's a beautiful collection, essential for the BBT collector!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sounds good, may buy this download and then burn to olde worlde cd!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Actually, that was first released way back in March, although it was an import. It's a beautiful collection, essential for the BBT collector!
    I think they added some tracks for the digital (Bandcamp) version, but I could be wrong.

What about it makes it essential? Looks like just a compilation of songs from previous albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    What about it makes it essential? Looks like just a compilation of songs from previous albums.
    essential for the BBT collector
    ... it's a nice package. Japanese double SHM-CD set with a lovely booklet. And a couple of new tracks, for what it's worth.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was glad they put it on Bandcamp, because while I do have most BBT releases, this is one of the few that I hadn't bought on CD because it just didn't have enough new to offer the BBT collector who's not a completist, but I did want to hear the new stuff. It sure would be nice if more digital releases included the booklet. Actually, does anyone know if this one DOES include the booklet in the download?

[QUOTE=JKL2000;1017808] this is one of the few that I hadn't bought on CD because it just didn't have enough new to offer the BBT collector who's not a completist/QUOTE]

This is a fair point. Perhaps I should have said "Essential for the BBT completist".

Funny thing, I have been listening to it for the last few days and was going to start a thread on it. Got the Japanese 2CD SHM version and, even though it is an expensive proposition, it is worth every penny.

This is stuff of the type 2+2=5, meaning this so called compilation is so good that it easily beats (IMO) the separate pieces of it and, more so, anything BBT has released lately as "proper" albums. For me this is probably the top contender for the prog album of 2020. Love the music and its flow there as it hits all the correct buttons in this category. As such it should be appealing, if not essential, not only to all of the BBT fans out there but to all prog fans ... yes, it is so good

The bandcamp does not do it for me if there is a CD version available, but it is great for being able to listen to the music and judge it for yourself.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I bought this on import from Japan earlier in the year and I’m very pleased I did, in spite of owning everything else. The flow, the quality, the package and the new pieces make it a nice to have for the BBT fan/collector. Apart from those tracks identified above as new/altered, London Song is slightly revised from the previous free download version, and is a quite beautiful segue of those classic London themed songs.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was glad they put it on Bandcamp, because while I do have most BBT releases, this is one of the few that I hadn't bought on CD because it just didn't have enough new to offer the BBT collector who's not a completist, but I did want to hear the new stuff. It sure would be nice if more digital releases included the booklet. Actually, does anyone know if this one DOES include the booklet in the download?
    I do not own this one, however I count at least 8 BBG Bandcamp purchases where they have supplied the PDF booklet.
    If that fails, the Japanese artwork can be viewed and downloaded at Discogs:
    https://www.discogs.com/Big-Big-Trai...lease/14985272

Curious if anyone knows where to find the CD version? I might be interested in this as I only own a couple of BBT albums. I went on their web site and did not see any mention of it. Nothing but streaming on Amazon too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious if anyone knows where to find the CD version? I might be interested in this as I only own a couple of BBT albums. I went on their web site and did not see any mention of it. Nothing but streaming on Amazon too.
    It was originally a Japanese import, but later in the year it was made available on Burning Shed, that's where I got mine.

It was originally a Japanese import, but later in the year it was made available on Burning Shed, that's where I got mine.
    Thanks!

Looks like it is out of stock on Burning Shed.

Currently £30 and out-of-stock at Burning Shed.
    £10 for the hi-res download at Bandcamp.
    I usually grab the hi-res option, so cannot remember if the CD-quality 16-bit option is available, however I recommend the hi-res BBG downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    Currently £30 and out-of-stock at Burning Shed.
    £10 for the hi-res download at Bandcamp.
    I usually grab the hi-res option, so cannot remember if the CD-quality 16-bit option is available, however I recommend the hi-res BBG downloads.
    I bought the 16 bit WAV files from Bandcamp today, sounds great. Lots of music for £10

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I bought the 16 bit WAV files from Bandcamp today, sounds great. Lots of music for £10
    Did the download include the booklet PDF?

Screw it, I'm just gonna order the Bandcamp copy. I can always burn the lossless files for the living room stereo.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Got mine from ImportCDs. It seems to be on the backorder right now but this is how it was back then when I ordered mine. It took a bit longer (about a month) but eventually (and happily) received it a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.importcds.com/summers-le.../4527516604974

Nope.

Burning Shed does restock titles, guys. Patience might be rewarded.

By the way folks the booklet is written in Japanese characters, so you are not missing much without it unless your linguistic skills are superlative. There is a decent image of the sleeve art on the BBT website if you wanted to print a cover for any burned CD you wish to make from the files. This was a release purely for the Japanese market, to boost the bands fan base there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    By the way folks the booklet is written in Japanese characters, so you are not missing much without it unless your linguistic skills are superlative. There is a decent image of the sleeve art on the BBT website if you wanted to print a cover for any burned CD you wish to make from the files. This was a release purely for the Japanese market, to boost the bands fan base there.
    That is not correct. The booklet (and I am looking at it) includes also, in addition to lyrics in Japanese, the full set of lyrics in English. 2nd and 3rd page of the booklet, with description of the contents of both discs, includes tracks titles in Japanese and also with English translation, including description of a given track (authors, where it comes from etc.). So it is certainly not only for the Japanese market.

It was released only for the Japanese market, Greg and David have often stated as much. They imported a batch to the U.K. for the collectors which sold quickly via Burning Shed, there is no plan to physically release wider other than this download version. What I’m saying is there’s nothing new in the booklet, lyrics and track details are not hard to come by.