Thread: Memories of Col. Bruce Hampton

Memories of Col. Bruce Hampton

I had a chat with my old friend Jez Graham today, along with his friend who just penned a new biography on Bruce, Jerry Grillo.

Bruce is probably best known around these parts for being in the group that was sort of the Southern answer to the Mothers of Invention, The Hampton Grease Band. We take a look at their legendary album, Music To Eat, and their history. We talk quite a bit about his best known group as well, The Aquarium Rescue Unit.

For Episode #57 we look back on the life and times of a Southern music legend- Col. Bruce Hampton. We're joined by keyboardist Jez Graham and biographer Jerry Grillo. Both of which are old friends of Bruce's and occasional collaborators. We discuss Jerry's new Col. Bruce biography, "The Music and Mythocracy of Col. Bruce Hampton- A Basically True Biography". A take a look at Bruce's early years growing up in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood in the 50s and early 60s. Driving into the Sweet Auburn area of Atlanta to see soul and blues greats of the day. His love of baseball and days spent at the Ponce De Leon Ballpark. A close look at the Hampton Grease Band is here, along with details on their legendary album, Music To Eat. We also take a close look at Bruce's best known group, The Aquarium Rescue Unit, and also touch on others like the Fiji Mariners, the Codetalkers, the Quark Alliance, Pharaoh Gummitt, and Madrid Express.
    Last edited by Sean; 1 Week Ago at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I had a chat with my old friend Jez Graham today, along with his friend who just penned a new biography on Bruce, Jerry Grillo.

Bruce is probably best known around these parts for being in the group that was sort of the Southern answer to the Mothers of Invention, The Hampton Grease Band. We take a look at their legendary album, Music To Eat, and their history. .
    Reputedly the second worst selling album in the history of Columbia Records.

Only beat by a yoga album!

I just went and added time stamps for each subject, if anyone wants to skip around.