Thread: Rush- Moving Pictures: Live 2011

Rush- Moving Pictures: Live 2011

Picked this up on vinyl today. From the Time Machine tour in '11. (1st time I bought a new vinyl in *years*) Lotsa negative reviews on Amazon. To *my* ears, the music sounds fine....but Geddy's voice doesn't. Sounds like he's straining & "cheating" a lot more than usual on this recording. It's a little disappointing. (Yeah, I know. Time/ age)

Anyone else have it?

Well I saw the tour and bought Time Machine (two disc live album of the show) and, yeah, he strains a bit, but I think the Moving Pictures tracks sound good. Nice to have a live version of "Camera Eye."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yeah, Geddy sounds kinda strained. I don't remember him sounding like that live, so maybe he had an off night?
    flute juice

Had a cold, yes.

This DVD is overall very good. Yes, Geddy strains a bit, but it's nothing compared to what was to come in some of the later live recordings. Absolutely understandable AND a bit hard to listen to, but give Alex, Neal, and Geddy credit for staying out there for the fans for as long as they did.

My drummer friend and I, both huge Rush-heads, bought this album the moment it came out 40 years ago. We used to jam several times a week at his house, and we learned Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta and played them endlessly. We saw Rush on this tour at the Richfield Coliseum in northeast Ohio. FM opened, and they were an added treat since we both were big fans of that band as well. The two bands played two sold-out nights in a row, and we saw them on both. That was indeed a privilege!

Best memory: ALex broke a string on both nights. Once, it was near the end of his Spirit of the Radio solo. The guitar tech guy came running out in a flash, they switched guitars with near military precision, Alex quickly put his hands down on the strings, and he blasted out that final riff just in time. Pretty amazing to watch. A concert reviewer in a local music paper made note of this very incident as well.

Moving Pictures was 40 two days ago....12 Feb 1981

Probably the most important album in my life. Got me started on the prog train really.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Moving Pictures was 40 two days ago....12 Feb 1981

Probably the most important album in my life. Got me started on the prog train really.
    I remember buying it, walking up Charing Cross road in London heading for the Virgin Megastore, there were lots of Moving Pictures displays in other record store windows, happy days but 40 years?! How did that happen?!

No idea how, but that's 40 years. The Le Studio years must have beem such a glorious time for these guys.

https://youtu.be/Yh5RSv52g6U

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    No idea how, but that's 40 years. The Le Studio years must have beem such a glorious time for these guys.

https://youtu.be/Yh5RSv52g6U
    Of all the cool things successful or at least well-heeled musicians get to do, the one I'd most like to do (if I was a musician, let alone a successful one) would be to spend time working in a nice residential studio (I THINK, Le Studio was residential, right?). It seems like so much fun! Like working in a Youth Hostel. Real World looks especially nice! I love reading about when Marillion was working on Brave at Miles Copeland's Chateau Marouatte, and also when U2 was working on The Unforgettable Fire there. Also, Tull's experiences!

Yes, Rush seemed like they were at a peak at Le Studio!

There are very nice insights on the making of Moving Pictures in Martin Popoff's Limelight: Rush in the 80s. This book and the one he's written about them in the 70s are absolute must-reads for anyone remotely interested on Rush. Hugely recommended. And yes, Le Studio was a very special place for them after their ordeal recording Hemispheres in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Of all the cool things successful or at least well-heeled musicians get to do, the one I'd most like to do (if I was a musician, let alone a successful one) would be to spend time working in a nice residential studio (I THINK, Le Studio was residential, right?). It seems like so much fun! Like working in a Youth Hostel. Real World looks especially nice! I love reading about when Marillion was working on Brave at Miles Copeland's Chateau Marouatte, and also when U2 was working on The Unforgettable Fire there. Also, Tull's experiences!

Yes, Rush seemed like they were at a peak at Le Studio!
    I would recommend to any Rush fan to read the book "Limelight" that gives an accurate and very enjoyable narrative of the Rush recording experiences through their 80's albums including this one. Le Studio in Quebec stands out prominently.
    A must read.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    There are very nice insights on the making of Moving Pictures in Martin Popoff's Limelight: Rush in the 80s. This book and the one he's written about them in the 70s are absolute must-reads for anyone remotely interested on Rush. Hugely recommended. And yes, Le Studio was a very special place for them after their ordeal recording Hemispheres in the UK.
    + 1

I have a home-made live comp of the entire album from the glory days. That's good enough for me. Saw them on my 20th birthday on the MP tour, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Picked this up on vinyl today. From the Time Machine tour in '11. (1st time I bought a new vinyl in *years*) Lotsa negative reviews on Amazon. To *my* ears, the music sounds fine....but Geddy's voice doesn't. Sounds like he's straining & "cheating" a lot more than usual on this recording. It's a little disappointing. (Yeah, I know. Time/ age)

Anyone else have it?
    Never opened it. It's an excerpt from the Time Machine CD/DVD so I just listen to/watch the whole show. I don't really have a problem with Geddy's voice until the second set of R40. At the time of release it was the first commercially released vinyl live recording since 1989's A Show Of Hands.
    Last edited by ytserush; 02-20-2021 at 09:33 PM. Reason: corrected information

I watched the Time Machine video when VH-1 Classic aired it, actually, saw it a couple tiems. I know what you mean about Geddy's voice. He sounds like he's yawning his way through a lot of the lyrics.

I enjoyed the tour and recently bought the live cd. Only negative for me seemed to be they played along to records on a lot of tracks, not only the keyboards but backing vocals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I watched the Time Machine video when VH-1 Classic aired it, actually, saw it a couple tiems. I know what you mean about Geddy's voice. He sounds like he's yawning his way through a lot of the lyrics.
    The Moving Pictures set was my least favorite part of that show. Not a lot of the usual improv (or as much as Rush does improv) during that part. There's a better version of just about any song on other live recordings except for maybe The Camera Eye which had come out of the mothballs and was a bit better than expected (perhaps because it was played for the first time in 28 years at that point.)

i'm sure that Rush will be releasing a 40th Anniversary deluxe package later this year.
    i would love to have the original 2 hour concert from Montreal 1981 as a bonus...
    perhaps it will be a Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left joint package.
    have always been critical about the editing/mixing of the original ESL.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i'm sure that Rush will be releasing a 40th Anniversary deluxe package later this year. .
    Unfortunately, there's a lot of doubt around that now. There was a 30th anniversary 5.1 release and Alex Lifeson made no mention of it during his interview on Make Weird Music with Andre.
    Chad

I missed the MP tour so I'd like to hear it. Then again, I caught the Signals tour and I'd kill for an official document of that tour.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Unfortunately, there's a lot of doubt around that now. There was a 30th anniversary 5.1 release and Alex Lifeson made no mention of it during his interview on Make Weird Music with Andre.
    That would have been a good time to mention it....especially if your name is Alex Lifeson.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    they have been doing the 40th anniversary deluxe packages of all the albums since 2112. if they didn't do it for MP, that would be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    they have been doing the 40th anniversary deluxe packages of all the albums since 2112. if they didn't do it for MP, that would be a surprise.
    I would have been surprised up until about a year ago, but not anymore. Could go either way. Might be a holiday release, might not. There doesn't seem to be anyone left at the label that would care and Alex and Geddy quite obviously have moved on.

Hugh Syme is releasing a second edition of his book with 20 more pages and will include all of the R40 art.