Thread: Need help finding more jazzy alt-folk like this...!

Need help finding more jazzy alt-folk like this...!

Heya, really hoping someone here can help!

anyone here able to recommend me any artists or songs based on these ones? there's a particular jazz alt-folk vibe to both of them that stand out to me. Maybe that descriptor is a bit misleading, so please give these tracks a listen to see what I mean! Maybe there's a particular genre I can search to find more like this, or maybe some artists who touch on these styles? Only can find these singular tracks of this style from these two artists.

Mary Fahl - Dream of You

Holly Brook - Falling Out of View

I haven't kept abreast of current alt-folk trends, but the songs above bring to mind some of the work Judee Sill did years ago. I think she only produced two studio albums and the first, IMO, is the better.

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

This is considered jazz

You may know them already - but I'd definitely recommend The Unthanks - especially the albums Last, & Mount the Air (for added prog credentials, they've covered both Robert Wyatt & Starless in the past!)

You might want to try Magnetic North - this is a track from their album Orkney:

Thanks for those suggestions! I'm liking that Melody Gardot tune as it's own thing, however it doesn't have that ethereal / abstract atmosphere of the two tracks I linked so I wouldn't say really fits with that, but thank you for sharing this as the orchestration is super lush

Judee Sill I am only hearing of now for the first time, but it looks I have also been suggested it in response to this request on another forum, so I am definitely digging in! I've listened to a few tracks so far and really particularly like 'The Donor', so I'm excited to hear more, thank you so much!

If anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know, I am not usually a folk listener at all but I really dig when it gets that bit ethereal and jazzy!

edit: the above post came in while I was typing this, going to check out The Unthanks next ^_^

You might also be interested in Elisabeth Fraser's collaborations with Yann Tiersen - this is Kala:

Based on the first clip I would recommend Anastasia Minster, who's recent album Father impressed me a lot:

Harry Connick Jr.?

A few songs by Jane Siberry fit that mold. I'd try "The Valley" and "The Lobby" first.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    You might also be interested in Elisabeth Fraser's collaborations with Yann Tiersen - this is Kala:
    both these have me thinking of this:

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    A few songs by Jane Siberry fit that mold. I'd try "The Valley" and "The Lobby" first.
    All of the Maria album qualifies, where she’s collaborating with a jazz combo. Obviously, latter 70s Joni Mitchell also comes to mind.

Maybe some of the work by Finnish singer-songwriter Carita Holmström would be of interest. A lot of those Finnish jazz-prog guys (Pekka Pöyry, Esko Rosnell, Måns Grundstroem, Mats Huldén, Paroni Paakkunainen, Heikki Virtanen, etc.) have played on her records.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Thanks so much everybody for your suggestions!

I've put together a playlist on Spotify of songs that have come close to scratching the itch!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2f...Yi6dUKZo3tPwEk

Not many on the playlist are exactly the right vibe, but there is a lot of really great interesting music I found while searching!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Heya, really hoping someone here can help!

anyone here able to recommend me any artists or songs based on these ones? there's a particular jazz alt-folk vibe to both of them that stand out to me. Maybe that descriptor is a bit misleading, so please give these tracks a listen to see what I mean! Maybe there's a particular genre I can search to find more like this, or maybe some artists who touch on these styles? Only can find these singular tracks of this style from these two artists.

Mary Fahl - Dream of You

Mary Fahl, formerly of October Project, is awesome. Fortunate to experience her live years ago.

How about a little Mono ( not the Japanese band )? I bought this album and enjoyed most of it. Not sure how you would narrow this down to classify it. People would ask me who it was if they heard it coming from my car.
    https://youtu.be/uYjq-ocIhjA

Bit of a stretch but how about Frente!'s version of Bizarre Love Triangle? I thought it was the only good song on the album if I remember correctly.
    https://youtu.be/IJ1c9ErCn7w

Try the "Reasonable Horse" album by Shawn Persinger. I'd mention Suzanne Vega too -- if one calls her 'jazz alt-folk' too, then, within that area, her "Days of Open Hand" album turns up the 'alt' dial and the album with green apple on the front cover turns up the 'jazz' dial, for example