Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solstice (UK) - new album "Sia"

Solstice (UK) - new album "Sia"

British band Solstice has a new album out called "Sia" and it is released on the Giant Electric Pea (GEP) label which I find quite fitting for them. It is a gorgeous album with pretty much the same line-up since the late 90s except they have a new vocalist in Jess Holland.

On New Years Day they premiered the video for the the closing track of the album:

Banned
    I just received their previous release, "Prophecy", last week and I am enjoying it a lot (my first album by them). Really good, dreamy stuff indeed. The 17:33 minute track "Warriors" is a killer.

This one sounds like a solid follow up based on the sample.

Note that the closing track listed on PA is "Cheyenne", not "A New Day" as stated above.

I was lucky enough to discover Solstice supporting Marillion in London back in late 1982. I then saw them many times at the Marquee over the next couple of years. My favourite album of theirs is New Life but I'd say the new one SIA has that same magic from their early days and is certainly one of their best ever. That second section of A New Day where the song builds into a majestic conclusion is just orgasmic. To my mind Solstice a band that would very much appeal to Yes fans without sounding at all like copy cats of that band.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Note that the closing track listed on PA is "Cheyenne", not "A New Day" as stated above.
    Cheyenne is actually a bonus track as it is re-recording (quite beautiful as well) of a song that was on their debut album from 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I was lucky enough to discover Solstice supporting Marillion in London back in late 1982. I then saw them many times at the Marquee over the next couple of years. My favourite album of theirs is New Life but I'd say the new one SIA has that same magic from their early days and is certainly one of their best ever. That second section of A New Day where the song builds into a majestic conclusion is just orgasmic. To my mind Solstice a band that would very much appeal to Yes fans without sounding at all like copy cats of that band.
    Yep, New Life is also my favourite Solstice album but damn, Sia is coming close. If it weren't for the slightly dodgy production Silent Dance would be my favourite because the songs themselves are superb. I think they weren't able to capture how the band sounded live in those in the studio.

And I agree, there is a sort of wholesome Yes / Jon Anderson vibe to Solstice's music.

Wow, I am loving this new one by Solstice. I just watched a bunch of videos for songs from this new album, and I bought the second-to-last copy on eBay with the nicest price.

Listened to a couple of tracks while sampled at their demo phase and they sounnded very good. Their new vocalist suits them greatly.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ Based on the above video, I would agree. This vocalist is excellent and a great fit with what they are doing.

Got it for Christmas - wonderful.

If any one sees the LP for sale for any less than $60, please post. I’d love to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    If any one sees the LP for sale for any less than $60, please post. I’d love to own it.
    Apparently in stock again: https://www.gep.co.uk/store/solstice...inyl-p-58.html

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Hopefully, they can get a US distributor because I'd love to get the vinyl. But with shipping to the US, it comes to $63.00!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Hopefully, they can get a US distributor because I'd love to get the vinyl. But with shipping to the US, it comes to $63.00!
    Exactly!! The postage from overseas kills it for me. Amazon seems to be only American distributor and they want $58 bucks for it.

The closing sections of A New Day are just total prog orgasm - one of the best 2020 moments in prog for me.

Have not heard this yet, but the trailer does sound very promising. Some of the best melodies I've heard from them in years. The post-Marc Elton albums so far have not been able to match the brilliance of the excellent Silent Dance and New Life, IMO, though they are quite nice. "Return of Spring" and "The Sea" are among the greatest instrumental tracks from the British neoprogressive movement, and a lot of it had to do with Elton's violin work.

Solstice have done a few gigs this year and have put a few very good videos up on YT, here's my fave from the new album:

and here's my fave from way back when I saw them many times at the old Marquee:

Just in case anyone is interested, a new live album recorded this year is now available at Bandcamp. Featuring the whole of the new SIA album plus a few older classics, I can highly recommend.

https://solstice3.bandcamp.com/album/sia-live

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    https://www.loudersound.com/news/sol...-album-to-fans

Downloaded this weekend, haven't yet heard it. Sorry for not posting in a more timely fashion.

Now available as a hi res download for a minimum price of £3 is the SIA Live video, 1 hour 33 minutes of Solstice heaven.
    Follow this link
    https://ko-fi.com/s/5e1c42d51e

I guess that very few people are interested in Solstice around here but if you listened you might like them.

I am very interested. Thanks for posting. Will watch later.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

I've been on the Solstice bandwagon for a long time. I think their 2010 release Spirit is my fave but Prophecy is also strong. Melody is always king for me and these guys bring it.

agreed