Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artists, self-promote your best songs here!

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Wow! An awful lot of great stuff in here! Thanks to everyone for posting, and please continue to do so. I haven't caught up on all of it, but I'm trying.

I guess it's been long enough now that I can share one of mine. I thought about starting with a Farpoint song, since I've released the most stuff with that band, but I think I'll change directions here and share another one. Some of you may or may not know that a few years back I started a project with some musical friends including Steve Katsikas from Little Atlas, Brian Coralian from IZZ, Dennis Mullin from Iluvatar, and Wade Summerlin from Cobweb Strange. The group is called Greyfeather and we released our debut album in 2017. There are a few songs on that album I'm really proud of, but I think my favorite has to be this one. I'd love to hear any thoughts or feedback from anyone so inclined:

Great song. There is a lot of work in it, I think.

The last piece I've recorded. There is also an earlier recording on Soundcloud, but I think this one is better.

I might do another version with the synthesizer part split over several synthesizers, like a seperate bass-synthesizer for the lowest bass-line

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    After giving this a listen, I can understand how it's one of your favorites Kevin.
    The bass line along with a very Native American rhythm really opens the song nicely, and the Native American vibe continues throughout.
    Ya'll did great on this one, and I'm also a big fan of Illuvatar and of Dennis' guitar playing as well.
    Thanks for sharing, good to see you back.
    Hope you've been surviving this pandemic stuff ok.
    Thank you SO MUCH for those kind words and thoughts! You made my day!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Great song. There is a lot of work in it, I think.
    Many thanks, Renate! Yes, there is a bit of work in it, but I'm sure that's true of the work of all the artists on here, yours included!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

OK, so I'm finally going to try to comment on some of these posts. This will take me a while, but I'm going to start at the beginning:

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm going to cheat and do two, one Proggy and one more straight-ahead rock.

For the Proggy one, this is Forbidden Planet from Eccentric Orbit's 2004 album Attack of the Martians. This was the last song I composed for the album, and was my first venture into truly large-scale musical storytelling (the title tracks is also 10+ minutes, but is really divided into three distinct sections, whereas this track is far more integrated). The piece is built on recurrent themes, and essentially tells the story of the movie musically. The movie is, in some sense, a retelling of Shakespeare's The Tempest, but it also incorporates Freudian psychology, the "monsters from the id" essentially being repressed sexual urges. Fertile ground for a musical journey. For long-scale composition, I think this is the best work I've ever done.

https://eccentricorbit.bandcamp.com/...rbidden-planet

Great idea Kevin! Can't wait to hear what others post!

Bill
    OK, I have to say I love this track! I'm re-listening now, and thoroughly enjoying this! I could see myself listening to this on a long drive at night. Great diversity and dynamics, and that fretless bass is killer. Don't really hear anyone to compare this to either. Very very well done!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

OK, I have to say I love this track! I'm re-listening now, and thoroughly enjoying this! I could see myself listening to this on a long drive at night. Great diversity and dynamics, and that fretless bass is killer. Don't really hear anyone to compare this to either. Very very well done!
    Cool, thanks!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWideNothing View Post
    Great idea for a thread! Thanks for starting it!

We released a new album in November, and honestly, it's really hard to pick just one to highlight as being my favorite. But that being said, I really love the fourth track, "Stars Apart". I think it might be the most fun, creative, and collaborative one. Lyrically, it's a sci-fi breakup story about a relationship that collapses so catastrophically, the girl decides to join a deep space mission, leaving the guy on Earth to deal with the emotional fallout and reflect on what he did wrong with no real hope of redemption. Musically, it's total 90's pop rock (Collective Soul and Oasis were my big inspirations)...but with a really adventurous middle section that has some elements lifted from Porcupine Tree, Steely Dan, and more and features a really killer Moog solo from our keyboardist Dylan.

Check it out on Spotify at: https://open.spotify.com/track/2lj0s7Ak1YmEnJJWEj1zTa

Like I said, it's really hard to pick a favorite, though, so I definitely recommend giving the whole record a listen! I think you'll enjoy it.

You can stream and/or buy it (including pre-ordering a limited edition red vinyl copy!) at the links in my signature.
    Giving another listen to "Stars Apart" right now. I like it! It starts off reminding me a bit of Pendragon, (and that's a compliment) but moves into some other interesting areas before long. I'm going to have to find the time to check out the rest of the album! Well done!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    I already posted this but I still like it from one of my 4 extended releases in 2020.
    I decided in 2020 that as long my music made me feel ok then it was pretty well job done. I may have to play to help pay the bills again but that will be 2022 for me if plans go ahead to move back to Canary Islands.
    This is rocking horse shit and is dedicated to anyone and everyone who has an OCD of any and I mean ANY kind.
    .https://cliveymacdougall.bandcamp.co...ing-horse-shit
    Listening now. Very interesting! I love the way the energy picks up when the drums come in. Did you play all the instruments?

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Hmmmmm.....
    Best? I dunno, but my favorite from my CD is probably the title track:

From a more recent project, probably: https://groovetherapy.bandcamp.com/track/take-5
    OK, just listened to "Angels Dancing in Virga." Interesting. While my mind tends to categorize this more as "sound effects" than "music," I still find it quite intriguing. What instruments or devices are being used to create those sounds?

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

OK, just listened to "Angels Dancing in Virga." Interesting. While my mind tends to categorize this more as "sound effects" than "music," I still find it quite intriguing. What instruments or devices are being used to create those sounds?
    It's music, just not in a traditional way, more like electronic music, as it is teached at music academics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It's music, just not in a traditional way, more like electronic music, as it is teached at music academics.
    Of course, you are correct; it is music. Just very different from what I normally listen to. But that's not a bad thing! I need to expand my horizons every now and then!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Listening now. Very interesting! I love the way the energy picks up when the drums come in. Did you play all the instruments?
    Drums and bass no .did live cymbals though. Mellotron and synths vsti's yes + about 3 of the guitars out of 4, whistle, Soprano sax through tube and verb vsts all vox obviously .
    Thanks for the listen. I have new mini album release 1st September it's already on bandcamp not prog but does have 2 proggyesque pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    Drums and bass no .did live cymbals though. Mellotron and synths vsti's yes + about 3 of the guitars out of 4, whistle, Soprano sax through tube and verb vsts all vox obviously .
    Thanks for the listen. I have new mini album release 1st September it's already on bandcamp not prog but does have 2 proggyesque pieces.
    Love it.