Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

People also need to hear the Yugen-Plays-Leddi record issued by AltrOck in 2008, Uova Fatali. There's some insanely intricate ideas at play here - and they keep playing them!
    Uova Fatali certainly seems a bit underrated. For me its just as good as the other Yugen albums. In fact, it might be the one I played most often.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Uova Fatali certainly seems a bit underrated. For me its just as good as the other Yugen albums.
    Well, it's more acoustically based. But the level of compositional dissonant density here is simply staggering.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Gonna check out that Yugen...cheers guys.

^ The guy is named after a Cow!

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^^^^^

Someone has a PATREON page for doing this stupid shit?

And people complain about Food Stamps for the needy.....
    Last edited by Steve F.; 04-01-2021 at 08:55 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^[

Someone has a PATREON page for doing this stupid shit?

And people complain about Food Stamps for the needy.....
    Must admit it makes me kinda angry that this is considered talent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Some time during my student days in the 1990s I ventured into a heated discussion on musical merit with a distant acquaintance who claimed that "DJs are the new virtuosos". I responded rather dryly from the back of my drunken tongue that this would be equivalent to honouring the nobody-guy with the starting pistol instead of the runners in the field. And my adversary, in all seriousness, proceeded to argue that if the nobody with the starting pistol hadn't fired his damn gun, there'd be no run to begin with.

And by that reasoning he actually claimed to have "won" the debate. He'd probably still do to this day. That's the way overt silliness works.

^ Some time during my student days in the 1990s I ventured into a heated discussion on musical merit with a distant acquaintance who claimed that "DJs are the new virtuosos". I responded rather dryly from the back of my drunken tongue that this would be equivalent to honouring the nobody-guy with the starting pistol instead of the runners in the field. And my adversary, in all seriousness, proceeded to argue that if the nobody with the starting pistol hadn't fired his damn gun, there'd be no run to begin with.

And by that reasoning he actually claimed to have "won" the debate. He'd probably still do to this day. That's the way overt silliness works.
    Does this distant acquaintance post in the current COVID-19 thread, by any chance?

I didn't watch this until the end but at least this guy is acknowledging this music even exists, which is a positive in my book. I don't think talent plays any part of this, merely an opinion. There is a French guy who I do like that covered Magma - he seemed genuine and passionate.

I love it.

"Carmine" is a world-class progressive track no matter era or demography, but the greatest treasure here, I think, is "L'Orchestra Dei Fischietti". Sure, they loved GGiant, but this is all their own and an attest to how they made ideas their own entirely. That track simply brings so much instant joy to the moment of hearing that it justifies the pondering introduction.

You heard their masterpiece track, TCC - "Reparto Novitŕ"? It's one of the finest song-form limited examples of coherence between melodic compression and immense ideas of dissonance and dynamic intent that I ever heard; The more you hear it, the more I get convinced that there was genuine genius involved with some of their writing.

People also need to hear the Yugen-Plays-Leddi record issued by AltrOck in 2008, Uova Fatali. There's some insanely intricate ideas at play here - and they keep playing them!
    Hello Richard!
    Thanks and second your Yugen's recommendation too!.

"Al Volo" is one record of Stormy Six that I haven't heard, something that I must fix ASAP ! ;-), tankx!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Your mistake was in not beginning your reply with “Uh, it’s ‘VIRTUOSI!’”

I can’t find it now, but did someone mention the Japanese band OOIOO? Or is it 00100? Or did I dream it? In any case, I’ve started listening to them! Apparently OOIOO means giving someone the finger, in ASCII. But 00100 would be the finger in Binary...

^^^^

FYI

It’s OOIOO
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can’t find it now, but did someone mention the Japanese band OOIOO? Or is it 00100? Or did I dream it? In any case, I’ve started listening to them! Apparently OOIOO means giving someone the finger, in ASCII. But 00100 would be the finger in Binary...
    OOIOO is the band of Boredoms drummer Yoshimi P-Wee, great Avant Pop Girl band. They should have played in Paris last fall. I kept the ticket and hope they will come this fall. ..

Fantastic stuff
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    OOIOO is the band of Boredoms drummer Yoshimi P-Wee, great Avant Pop Girl band. They should have played in Paris last fall. I kept the ticket and hope they will come this fall. ..
    Yeah, I also had tix to go see them last year at a festival in Den Haag. Festival got cancelled altogether.
    Their last album is quite good!

NP: Regal Worm - Pig Views

I guess they belong here?! Next I'm going to try Henry Fool's "Men Singing." And/or I Monster's "A Dense Swarm Of Ancient Stars." I just read the bio for Regal Worm in ProgArchives, and it's pretty interesting - it's the band's own bio provided by them.

NP: Magma - Attahk (Is Magma considered Avant Prog? I think maybe both Magma and Regal Worm don't belong here...oops. I'll get me coat!)
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-12-2021 at 01:33 AM.

^ Magma and much other -radical- Zeuhl certainly passes for avant-progressive in my book. Just like -some- assorted Canterbury does.

On the other hand, in contrast to what one might think, there are actually bonafide RIO-artists whose work wouldn't pass as either "avant-prog" or even rock music.

People should read'n'learn about those darn concepts of genre. Belonging to one doesn't omit you from others. Unless it's commerce-country vs. black metal or something. I mean, black metal may sit well with some country, but not the commercial type. At least it'd come out as very original, almost like avant-prog. Y'know.

I have always thought that Magma is one of the foundational (is that even a word?) bands of the avant-prog "genre".
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Listening to the first Yugen album - never heard the band before. Man, is this good!

Where to after this album (Labirinto D’Acqua)?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listening to the first Yugen album - never heard the band before. Man, is this good!

Where to after this album (Labirinto D’Acqua)?
    Fantastic band with a great debut, saw them at my first RIO in France in '11. Spent a bunch of time with them in the bar during the Arno set. Iridule is my favorite by the band which also features Mike Johnson, Elaine Di Falco, Dave Kerman & Dave Willey from Thinking Plague. Wonderful album.
    Ian

^ Iridule is stupendous.

To master/muster such insanely compressed density of notes in an ensemble-setting is an achievement in itself, but to actually make it come alive as they do - now that's another thing entirely.

I always thought of Iridule as an equal companion-album to Ske's 1000 Autunni. Both featuring Paolo B., of course.

This has to be so obscure, that maybe not even PE savants have heard about it (my google search produced just a couple of results).

No drums, no bass, no guitars, not even conventional keyboards. Just 2 french horns, oboe, and electronic effects from this Mexican project named 1870. Definitely there is a lot of improvisation involved in this so original and masterfully executed record.

Judge for yourselves

^ That's pretty weird, I guess. Facceted still.

Mexico always had them comin'; Culto Sin Nombre, Decibel, Nazca, Ledesma, Banda Elastica, Cabezas Di Cera, High Fidelity Orch.

Did you ever hear the duo Erehia from the late 90s? they only released one album (that I know of), but it contains intriguing, through-composed pieces for drums/perc., electric viola, Warr and careful MIDI, plus some wordless vox. I'm really glad I got this back then, as it quickly vanished with its 1000 pressed copies.

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 04-16-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Did you ever hear the duo Erehia from the late 90s? they only released one album (that I know of), but it contains intriguing, through-composed pieces for drums/perc., electric viola, Warr and careful MIDI, plus some wordless vox. I'm really glad I got this back then, as it quickly vanished with its 1000 pressed copies.
    I like it, really dense stuff. And heavy.

Of course Decibel and Nazca is top notch.