Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ears Festival 2022

Big Ears Festival 2022

I didn't see a thread for this yet.

https://bigearsfestival.org/

KNOXVILLE, TN · USA // 3.24.22-3.27.22

Vaccination required:

"The health and safety of everyone who attends Big Ears is our number one priority. With the rise of COVID cases due to the Delta variant, we are now mandating that all staff, artists, and audience members be fully vaccinated in order to participate in ticketed activities presented by Big Ears. In the coming months, we’ll describe the steps we intend to take to verify the vaccination status of audience members. As we continue to observe the situation, we reserve the right to institute other COVID-related safety measures in advance of the festival.

To be considered fully vaccinated for attendance at the 2022 Big Ears Festival, you must have received your second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson) on or before Wednesday, March 9, 2022."

JOHN ZORN
    SPARKS
    MEREDITH MONK
    MOSES SUMNEY
    KIM GORDON
    ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
    YVES TUMOR
    LOW
    ANNETTE PEACOCK
    KRONOS QUARTET
    BILL FRISELL
    SONS OF KEMET
    JASON MORAN
    BILL CALLAHAN
    PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND
    MARC RIBOT
    CAROLINE SHAW
    JOE HENRY
    EFTERKLANG
    MDOU MOCTAR
    AROOJ AFTAB & THE VULTURE PRINCE ENSEMBLE
    GEORGIA ANNE MULDROW
    BANG ON A CAN ALL-STARS
    ANDREW CYRILLE
    TERRY ALLEN & THE PANHANDLE MYSTERY BAND
    RON MILES QUINTET
    SŌ PERCUSSION
    NATHALIE JOACHIM
    NUBYA GARCIA
    SHABAKA HUTCHINGS
    KNOXVILLE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
    DAWN RICHARD
    SAUL WILLIAMS
    75 DOLLAR BILL
    79RS GANG
    JOSHUA ABRAMS & NATURAL INFORMATION SOCIETY
    ARENI AGBABIAN
    AMBROSE AKINMUSIRE
    ATTACCA QUARTET
    BALÚN
    JAIMIE BRANCH FLY OR DIE
    JOSEPH BRANCIFORTE & THEO BLECKMANN
    THEON CROSS
    SARAH DAVACHI
    KRIS DAVIS’ DIATOM RIBBONS
    ANGEL BAT DAWID & SISTAZZ OF THE NITTY GRITTY
    BONNY LIGHT HORSEMAN
    ALABASTER DEPLUME
    DOS SANTOS
    FENNESZ
    HARRIET TUBMAN
    JOHN HOLLENBECK
    VAL JEANTY
    CASSANDRA JENKINS
    L’RAIN
    LAKOU MIZIK
    MARY LATTIMORE
    DAMON LOCKS’ BLACK MONUMENT ENSEMBLE
    LISEL
    ELLIS LUDWIG-LEONE
    PEDRITO MARTINEZ GROUP
    LEYLA MCCALLA
    JAMES MCVINNIE
    MYRA MELFORD’S SNOWY EGRET
    MSSV
    AURORA NEALAND & THE ROYAL ROSES
    ANGÉLICA NEGRÓN
    JEFF PARKER & THE NEW BREED
    TRISTAN PERICH
    LIDO PIMIENTA
    DAFNIS PRIETO’S SÍ O SÍ QUARTET
    RAM
    ELLEN REID SOUNDWALK ENSEMBLE
    GYAN RILEY ELIXIR
    CHRISTIAN SCOTT ATUNDE ADJUAH
    ANDY SHAUF
    CHES SMITH WE ALL BREAK
    SPEKTRAL QUARTET
    SPORTY’S BRASS BAND
    SUDAN ARCHIVES
    CRAIG TABORN
    WILLIAM TYLER
    DAN WEISS STAREBABY
    AND MANY MORE!

THE MUSIC OF JOHN ZORN
    BILL FRISELL
    STEPHEN GOSLING
    KENNY GROHOWSKI
    PETRA HADEN
    SAE HASHIMOTO
    MATT HOLLENBERG
    JESSE HARRIS
    JULIAN LAGE
    BRIAN MARSELLA
    JOHN MEDESKI
    GYAN RILEY
    JORGE ROEDER
    CHES SMITH
    KENNY WOLLESEN

NEW ORLEANS / HAITI AND BEYOND
    FEATURING BIG EARS’ FIRST-EVER KREWE DU KANAVAL
    CURATED BY PRESERVATION HALL’S BEN JAFFE

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm in for this. We doing VIP again? That's my choice.

Immediate highlights:-

JOHN ZORN
    SPARKS
    KRONOS QUARTET
    BILL FRISELL
    SONS OF KEMET
    JASON MORAN
    NUBYA GARCIA
    SHABAKA HUTCHINGS
    THEON CROSS
    JOHN HOLLENBECK
    CHES SMITH WE ALL BREAK
    CRAIG TABORN
    DAN WEISS STAREBABY
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 09-14-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ticket purchased.Now i have to decide which expensive hotel to book for the weekend.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Already? Presale looks like noon on Wednesday
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pre-presale for supporters of BigEars.I sent 'em $100 a few months ago so i guess that makes me a supporter.

A discount on the VIP ticket price would have been nice.

I"m still on the fence

At least there is a vax mandate!

There are a lot of interesting names but...nothing that is screaming out at me that I MUST attend. (I saw the Zorn "mini-fest" last year in Chicago and it's well worth it!)

Honestly...the pandemic is acting as a drag on me going...but, I'm still deciding.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

VIP ticket bought.

Nubya Garcia, Theon Cross, Shabaka Hutchins, Sons Of Kemet & Starebaby are all 'must see' for me.
    Ian

What a killer lineup, wish I could be there (even if money was not an issue, my US visa expired...)

First blush. Less excitement for me compared to last year's lineup. But springing for VIP ticket tomorrow. Certainly a lot of investigating of artists to do as there will be some mighty fine discoveries here.

I guess you have to donate to get the code to allow purchase of the vip pass.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I"m still on the fence

At least there is a vax mandate!

There are a lot of interesting names but...nothing that is screaming out at me that I MUST attend. (I saw the Zorn "mini-fest" last year in Chicago and it's well worth it!)

Honestly...the pandemic is acting as a drag on me going...but, I'm still deciding.

best
    Michael
    Don't let this floor you, Ian...but I'm in the same boat is Michael. I'll likely go ahead and go because it's Big Ears and I have lots of love. But the lineup isn't leaving me with my jaw on the floor either.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

But the Scene John, The Scene!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Don't let this floor you, Ian...but I'm in the same boat is Michael. I'll likely go ahead and go because it's Big Ears and I have lots of love. But the lineup isn't leaving me with my jaw on the floor either.
    Oh I get it, this line up is sweet for me as I highlighted above. Plus I'm stir crazy for live music and this is one of the biggest highlights of the year for me.

Doesn't the idea of Falafel with me & Mark swing it?
    Ian

I'm sure the felafel store staff will be thrilled to see me again.

The garlic sauce will kill the Rona. I read it on Reddit. ( just giving FB a break, not that they need it. )

The Zorn thing with Frissell, mmmmm. I still have PTSD from seeing Naked City with Mike Patton on screams. Fred Frith on bass.
    I've wanted to see Christian Scott etc for a while. shows kept getting canceled.
    There's always enough music to go around, even if I have to travel a few blocks to find something good.
    -- Aristotle

The falafel is a BIG draw. Ditto just the social aspect of seeing you fellow crazy peeps roaming in/around Knoxville. And there are definitely acts I'd like to see.

I'll most likely swing around, and I'll not regret it once I'm out and about enjoying the shows.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

I'm definitely tempted. Haven't decided yet.

Well....... I reserved lodging. First step. Second tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Well....... I reserved lodging. First step. Second tomorrow.
    ^^^^with

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

No interest in seeing most of the music I want to see in standing situations.

I enjoyed hanging out with everyone and in the town in 2019, but very unlikely to go again. The music being served is excellent, but the infrastructure of the city cannot support it comfortably.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    the infrastructure of the city cannot support it comfortably.
    How so? Venues too far apart? Lodging/transportation?

Not to be nosey, but i'm curious as to which lodgings y'all are considering for the weekend.I'm still on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Not to be nosey, but i'm curious as to which lodgings y'all are considering for the weekend.I'm still on the fence.
    I usually stay in the Crown Plaza or Hilton, I'll check tonight on best rate I can find in city center.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    How so? Venues too far apart? Lodging/transportation?
    About half the venues are all standing unless you buy a VIP ticket. A lot of the bands I'll be looking to see will be in the all standing venues. Generally the more rock/youth focused bands.
    Ian

So I'm going a different route with the hotel this year, and giving the Cumberland House a shot. It is on the Big Ears hotel list...it is technically 0.7 miles from the TN Theater, but is only a few blocks away from the Knoxville museum which means if I'm feeling lazy, I can grab the free shuttle service to get to the further venues. Or, I could spring for parking downtown and just drive the half mile. Or, my legs are still pretty darn functional so I may just hoof it...that way I can have even MORE falafel + spicy garlic chicken and still burn them calories like a witch in Salem

The total cost for the weekend at Cumberland was only about $100 more than a single night at the Hilton so....yeah, I'm going to give it a try