Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

Been playing first two Thinking Plague albums. Great albums. I like the rough edges that these have comparson to the more sophisticated (and wonderful!) later albums.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    btw - there might be a Henry Cow live recording coming up as legit release: "live Henie Onstad Kunstsenter Oslo july 1975" - dunno where, dunno when...
    Do you know who will be releasing it? It won't be ReR/Cutler, it seems. He says that the rest of that concert, which is written material, is already available in good versions elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    Do you know who will be releasing it? It won't be ReR/Cutler, it seems. He says that the rest of that concert, which is written material, is already available in good versions elsewhere.
    Where is it available? I was under the explicit impression that the whole gig had been an improvisation, and that this is essentially the same recording made by Frode Hom (of Compendium) and Hans Voigt. Their earlier (and rather excellent) tapes of Soft Machine at the same venue was released by the now long gone Reel Recordings, later by Smalltown Superjazz/Supersound here in Norway. Could it be the latter releasing this?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

What Chris wrote when asked about it was: well, a big chunk of it is on 'concerts' already and there are good live versions of all the other pieces we played in the 18CD henry cow redux box, so i'm not sure it would add much to what's already available.. but who knows?

In case there are other ignorant people (like myself) who are not aware of this band, they need to rectify this as soon as possible. Progressive-avant-punk of the highest originality and intensity.

^ Iirc, they toured the USA maybe 15 years ago or so. I knew who they were, but wasn't familiar with their tunage, and I didn't attend. Still kicking myself over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Iirc, they toured the USA maybe 15 years ago or so. I knew who they were, but wasn't familiar with their tunage, and I didn't attend. Still kicking myself over that one.
    They've toured the USA something like a dozen times. Seriously. I started seeing them in the late 80s or very early 90s.

Last time was 2010.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw them at RIO, fantastic band.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They've toured the USA something like a dozen times. Seriously. I started seeing them in the late 80s or very early 90s.

Last time was 2010.
    This is just amazing, that this kind of band had the opportunity to play overseas. It is also clear from the huge mileage that Roger Trigaux's thread gets from our American friends. It shows that there was substantial interest for this sort of bands - and that there were people in the States that were devoted in promoting and allowing this music to be listened.

It's sad that this is apparently no more.

[QUOTE=Zappathustra;1031876]In case there are other ignorant people (like myself) who are not aware of this band, they need to rectify this as soon as possible. Progressive-avant-punk of the highest originality and intensity.

Agreed, a band I've followed for many years. Their days touring the US may be over, but they're still releasing new albums and their entire back catalogue is still available, so there's planty to catch up on: https://uzjsmedoma.com/hudba/?lang=en

np:

First time here ... great music and have to explore their catalogue soon!

"They combine a very unique & recognizable skewed rhythmic base (influenced by Capt. Beefheart) with angular & intricate horn & guitar charts ala Henry Cow and Doctor Nerve. About 1/4 has vocals, while the bulk is instrumental. The music is tough-edged & aggressive. This album adds scored parts for a number of guests on tuned percussion, brass & more. This is a great disc of intensely complicated, rehearsal-intensive RIO-style rock."

"I never got to see Henry Cow, but now that I've seen Blast, it doesn't matter." – Bill Ellsworth [after seeing this version of the band with me in 1996]"

More:
    https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...m/stringy-rugs
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

[QUOTE=alanterrill;1032012]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    In case there are other ignorant people (like myself) who are not aware of this band, they need to rectify this as soon as possible. Progressive-avant-punk of the highest originality and intensity.

Agreed, a band I've followed for many years. Their days touring the US may be over, but they're still releasing new albums and their entire back catalogue is still available, so there's planty to catch up on: https://uzjsmedoma.com/hudba/?lang=en
    Oh, great, thanks for the link Alan.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

For the next 12 hours, use the code FIVE and get it for $5!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've just gone mad and ordered Henry Cow's In Praise of Learning and Concerts cds. Give me 10 years or so and I might be able to come back and tell you if I like then (I already have the other 3 studio albums- assessment still in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I've just gone mad and ordered Henry Cow's In Praise of Learning and Concerts cds. Give me 10 years or so and I might be able to come back and tell you if I like then (I already have the other 3 studio albums- assessment still in progress)
    Great albums, give em time. In Praise took me a while but once it bites.....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    In Praise took me a while but once it bites.....
    Bitten by the Cow!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Has this one been mentioned yet?

Some great playing here!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Has this one been mentioned yet?

Some great playing here!

best
    Michael
    I dig this, but weirdly high, random shipping charge considering they're apparently shipping from Brooklyn: $6.17 !! or has postage gone up enough that this is realistic? Maybe it has.

Interesting interview with Fred Frith

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

np:

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

^ Outstanding album.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Now playing: Motor Totemist Guild – City of Mirrors (US, 1999)

Interesting but not totally convinced. Any fans?
    Count me as a big fan!

I used to see them live pretty often (maybe every gig) in the 80's and 90's, here in LA. They were amazing live.

They used to be part of something called California Outside Music Association (COMA), who regularly put on one day festivals in Long Beach, and shows at local LA clubs.

Read the list of participating members in this Wiki article. Some pretty major names, to be sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...on#Discography
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    np:

I love it.

"Carmine" is a world-class progressive track no matter era or demography, but the greatest treasure here, I think, is "L'Orchestra Dei Fischietti". Sure, they loved GGiant, but this is all their own and an attest to how they made ideas their own entirely. That track simply brings so much instant joy to the moment of hearing that it justifies the pondering introduction.

You heard their masterpiece track, TCC - "Reparto Novità"? It's one of the finest song-form limited examples of coherence between melodic compression and immense ideas of dissonance and dynamic intent that I ever heard; The more you hear it, the more I get convinced that there was genuine genius involved with some of their writing.

People also need to hear the Yugen-Plays-Leddi record issued by AltrOck in 2008, Uova Fatali. There's some insanely intricate ideas at play here - and they keep playing them!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For me l'apprendista is one of those albums that seems to have a perfect balance between experiment, complexity and accesability.

Probably my favorite album from the original RIO gang and an all time top 10 overall. Did I already say I love the album?