Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The new Steensland is indeed a killer. Like Canterbury music moulded in the fires of Mordor. I seriously need to research his earlier work
    Fat Again and his collab with JG Thirlwell, Oscillospira, are my favorites of his.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Fat Again and his collab with JG Thirlwell, Oscillospira, are my favorites of his.
    These two are the only ones I know.

There is stuff in Let's Go To Hell that would make Magma wnd Present fans to stand up and salute the Swedish flag.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    These two are the only ones I know.

There is stuff in Let's Go To Hell that would make Magma wnd Present fans to stand up and salute the Swedish flag.
    I'd go with Zombie Hunter & Farewell To Brains next.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'd go with Zombie Hunter & Farewell To Brains next.
    cheers Ian!

This is more like avant-folk than avant-prog, but it's pretty cool and may interest some here:

This is from PAGANS, the label run by the Baudoins of Artús fame. For those who are bagpipe-phobic I must warn that drones on the gaïda are a prominent element here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaida).
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 11-12-2021 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Wrong diacritical mark.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

It's great my friend. And a big thanks.
    Glad you dig it Kostas (I thought you might...).

Sometimes Spinifex do sensitive cross-cultural collaborations in the mode of Aka Moon, other times they just kick arse. This album is one of the arse-kickers.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Glad you dig it Kostas (I thought you might...).

Sometimes Spinifex do sensitive cross-cultural collaborations in the mode of Aka Moon, other times they just kick arse. This album is one of the arse-kickers.
    Yes, I got mine bruised

Separate Strings from François Thollot, a new album where it appears he plays everything himself:

The piano / drums duet is particularly good, but it's all good. Much like Angel Ontalva, he's a man pursuing his own musical vision and consistently producing superb work, to little acclaim or indeed notice.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    One of the best records of 2021, although I was unaware of the Rhun connection

I bought Oscillospira half a year ago, but I've honestly not had the time to listen to the entire thing more than a handful of times. And yet the damn madman already has another ultra-facceted onslaught of notes and noise and tones on the market. Some folks simply just can't be kept down, I reckon.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Re. the new Steensland, I bought it about a month ago and probably have spun it 5-6 times and it gets better with each listen. He has really taken the Univers Zero model and ran with it. The result is indeed something unique to him and extremely satisfying to these ears. it also (generally) sounds better than many of his (earlier) releases.

This album pairs well with the new T Zaboitzeff Pagan Dances release.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Re. the new Steensland, I bought it about a month ago and probably have spun it 5-6 times and it gets better with each listen. He has really taken the Univers Zero model and ran with it. The result is indeed something unique to him and extremely satisfying to these ears. it also (generally) sounds better than many of his (earlier) releases.

This album pairs well with the new T Zaboitzeff Pagan Dances release.

best
    Michael
    I am also enjoying it more with each play. Just had a concetrated listen with headaphones. Man, that choral ending of Zomby.B.Good! This does send the shivers down my spine!

^ Well, earlier some of his challenge was indeed to make "his own" of somewhat obvious influences (UZero/Magma and some Zappa on the "regular" albums, very much The Residents, Tuxedomoon, Coil, various soundtrack-composers and more on Phantom of the Theatre and many of his jingles). Although I always thought that he did indeed possess a clear-cut, transcendent identity with stuff like "Before We Can Drown" or that immaculate "Instant Jesus", he arguably needed to make a mend of intentions and artistic aspirations as such. Steensland's first three records are instrumentally extremely impressive, but conceptually and sometimes creatively the outset tends to be too transparent as to source.

He's suddenly a complete mofo paired with Thirlwell and Ågren, though...

That collective Live Gang-Gang release of his music from 2004 is consequently quite a revelation. It must have been sheer hell for the band to rehearse his shit, even so they're some of the best dudes around and bring it to life formidably. It's arguably one of the very best recordings of Morgan Ågren's adaptive-interpretive technique too, as he mostly features on tracks Simon S. himself played drumming [sic] on the studio versions.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I busted out my Meridiem album. The first one with Percy Howard, Fred Frith, Bill Laswell and Charles Hayward. Still kicks ass. Always dug this record.

OK. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Well, earlier some of his challenge was indeed to make "his own" of somewhat obvious influences (UZero/Magma and some Zappa on the "regular" albums, very much The Residents, Tuxedomoon, Coil, various soundtrack-composers and more on Phantom of the Theatre and many of his jingles). Although I always thought that he did indeed possess a clear-cut, transcendent identity with stuff like "Before We Can Drown" or that immaculate "Instant Jesus", he arguably needed to make a mend of intentions and artistic aspirations as such. Steensland's first three records are instrumentally extremely impressive, but conceptually and sometimes creatively the outset tends to be too transparent as to source.
    Yep, transparent as to source I would definitely agree with, but I did say the end result was unique...a Steensland "sound" if you will. I didn't mean to imply that wearing your influences on your sleeve is a bad thing, I mean we can't all be true innovators in the sense of creating something that has never been done, or heard before. I don't even know I can name artists like that, certainly not more than I can count on one hand. (I keep harping on Paul Dolden, he may be one of these people, and even he isn't a "true" innovator, i.e. creating something from scratch that is canonical, a master of synergies---yes, indeed, but his work processes are what really fleshes out his outrageously unique vision.) Although, now that i think about it, there are some in the Acousmatic world that have done this...maybe this is why I'm drawn so hard to it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    He's suddenly a complete mofo paired with Thirlwell and Ågren, though...

That collective Live Gang-Gang release of his music from 2004 is consequently quite a revelation. It must have been sheer hell for the band to rehearse his shit, even so they're some of the best dudes around and bring it to life formidably. It's arguably one of the very best recordings of Morgan Ågren's adaptive-interpretive technique too, as he mostly features on tracks Simon S. himself played drumming [sic] on the studio versions.
    I have this release and should revisit soon, especially after reading what you just wrote^^^! Any opinion on his 25 Years Minimum R&B release? I think that's the only one I don't have.

best
    Michael

25 years of minimum R&B is a double cd compilation album of his first few solo albums and the live gang gang album. Its basically a compilation of everything upto fat again. These albums were out of print for years so for me this was a very welcome release.

If you already have these early albums no need to buy this

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    25 years of minimum R&B is a double cd compilation album of his first few solo albums and the live gang gang album. Its basically a compilation of everything upto fat again. These albums were out of print for years so for me this was a very welcome release.

If you already have these early albums no need to buy this
    Just checked the tracklists: there apears to be a fair amount of unreleased material on it as well.

Just checked the tracklists: there apears to be a fair amount of unreleased material on it as well.
    Thx thedunno!

It's actually up on BC, I'll check the tracks vs. what I have but, if there is unreleased material on it it will probably go in my cart

best
    Michael

New Physics House Band album coming soon! Based on the track that is currently streaming, probably "avant" enough for the thread:

Bandcamp Profile

My avant-binge of the last week or so:

Simon Steensland : Let's Go To Hell (SE, 2021) ****-
    Aquaserge: The Possibility Of A New Work For Aquaserge (FR, 2021) ****+
    Antoine Berthiaume, Derek Bailey, Fred Frith: Soshin (UK/CA, 2003)
    Thinking Plague : In This Life (US, 1989) ****½
    Sonata Islands Kommandoh : Quasar Burning Bright (IT, 2020) ****
    Ske : 1000 Autunni (IT, 2011) ****+
    Stormy Six : Al Volo (IT, 1982) ***½
    Black Midi : Schlagenheim (UK, 2019) ****-
    Fred Frith & François-Michel Pesenti: Helter Skelter (UK/FR, 1993) ****-
    Zamla Mammaz Manna : Familjesprickor (SE, 1980) ****½
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

The new Shamblemaths is an album somewhere in between avant prog and retro prog. At times, especially in the "Lat Kvar Jordisk Skapning Teia" suite it reminds me of the work of Paola 'Ske' Botta. No suprise that he is actually playing keyboards on this suite. Highly recommeded for avant and retro prog fans alike.

https://shamblemaths.bandcamp.com/album/shamblemaths-2

The new Shamblemaths is an album somewhere in between avant prog and retro prog. At times, especially in the "Lat Kvar Jordisk Skapning Teia" suite it reminds me of the work of Paola 'Ske' Botta. No suprise that he is actually playing keyboards on this suite. Highly recommeded for avant and retro prog fans alike.

https://shamblemaths.bandcamp.com/album/shamblemaths-2
    I failed to notice that Ske is playing in there, despite buying and likind the record very much. The Shostakovich take is one of the best rock interpretations of a classical piece that I've ever heard. It's better than ELP!

It's better than ELP!
    Some things should never be said, even in jest

Bandcamp Profile