Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

Banned
    Anatomy of the Heads' music is well-made with detail. It's vigorous and rawboned, mighty and handsome; blistering with capricious drift changes. It displays the complexity, elaborateness and accuracy of refined musicianship. This trio (plus additional personnel) venture along unexpected musical arterials regarding the experimental rock genre. With many distinctive artistic leanings in a way, their work shifts into certainly 'avant' deviatory, and can rather be attributed to the twentieth-century avant-garde whose historic legacy somehow still lives while continuing to inspiring young minds.

Here is another one that should press people's buttons on this thread. The entire album hasn't been released yet except for this teaser cut. Based on this cut I'll be getting this for sure!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yeah, it seemed that poppier stuff was upfront and things got weirder after few songs. But I might be wrong. This is just first impression after a one listen while working.
    When I first read this I thought you were referring to the aforementioned "Hunger's Teeth". How the first couple minutes of that could be considered "poppier" than the rest caused me a moment of wonder! If anything, on Hunger's Teeth it's the other way around, though I can assure you we had no plan other than let's do something.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Here's a Neptunian Maximalism-related project on "none more fucked up" weird metal label I, Voidhanger:

Digging the one track that is currently streaming - to the max! Avant-garde yet primitive, and trippy as it gets.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Last avant album was yesterday, ever exploring

MAN this rules. New to the forum and going through this thread bit by bit. (It appears it'll take awhile—this being the oh jeez, SIXTH reply!?)

My own contribution! (Though it may have been shared already, idk!). Really dig the avant-jazz/avant-prog deal going on here. Caught a solo performance by the flautist at DMG in nyc. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by offwithyerhat View Post

My own contribution! (Though it may have been shared already, idk!). Really dig the avant-jazz/avant-prog deal going on here. Caught a solo performance by the flautist at DMG in nyc. Very good.
    Great, great band, although I only own their latest Geometria del Vinculo. Top shelf stuff!

Banned
    Chilean label Templo Sagital just released a cassette album with a live recorded material by short-lived but intense band La Babosa Mecánica that was playing around in Santiago, Chile, between 2010 - 2011. This is experimental rock one-track full-length album, on which the music slowly builds up a creepy and angry mood. The music is always very intense, dark and brutal. The overall sound practically never changes. There is just a little breather in that haunting and chaotic cosmic atmosphere until things continue to drift according to plan. Nevertheless, the record is continuously exciting, always surprising, plays brilliantly with the dynamics and is wonderfully mystical and disturbing. As is so often the case, there is always a kind of weird humor that only lovers of this genre will understand.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Will check it out, thanks & welcome aboard, always exploring
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Chilean label Templo Sagital just released a cassette album with a live recorded material by short-lived but intense band La Babosa Mecánica that was playing around in Santiago, Chile, between 2010 - 2011. This is experimental rock one-track full-length album, on which the music slowly builds up a creepy and angry mood. The music is always very intense, dark and brutal. The overall sound practically never changes. There is just a little breather in that haunting and chaotic cosmic atmosphere until things continue to drift according to plan. Nevertheless, the record is continuously exciting, always surprising, plays brilliantly with the dynamics and is wonderfully mystical and disturbing. As is so often the case, there is always a kind of weird humor that only lovers of this genre will understand.

Thanks Monet ... out of my radar ... like so much other good music :-)
    Last edited by TCC; 09-10-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Fan here !.
    Thanks.

Pura Vida!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

np:

"Instrumental Chamber, Classical, ProgRock"

Well, thanks to Zalmoxe: good one from the US !!

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Here is another one that should press people's buttons on this thread. The entire album hasn't been released yet except for this teaser cut. Based on this cut I'll be getting this for sure!

best
    Michael
    I LIKE THAT
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

Banned
    On his album "Flambant Neuf", Belgium guitarist Pierre Vervloesem once again offers a bizarre, ironic, bitterly angry, virtuoso-amateurish, loud, weird, nasty, furious, shrill and far removed from the radio-friendly clichés and in this form can only come from Belgium today. You are certainly not doing Vervloesem and his fellow campaigners an injustice if you call Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention their spiritual fathers, but you can also clearly hear the influences of the avant-garde bands Present and Univers Zero - with Vervloesem, however, the proportion of improvised music is significantly higher.
    For all those who answer "yes" to the question "does crazy humor belong to music", Vervloesem's "Flambant Neuf" is a big deal. Sometimes you almost have the feeling of listening to an experimental post-punk band from the 80s. But these passages are always only short; just a heavy riff, and then suddenly a jazz-rock part is coming. Keneally-like playfulness, suddenly free-jazzy hustle and bustle. Strictly composed intensification, suddenly loud, avant-garde free tinkering. Recommended for prog-heads with an adventurous spirit. An exciting record indeed.

A new album by Jack O' The Clock offshoot Ventifacts landed today.

Edit: It's not available on CD yet, but will be. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:41 PM.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Canadian guitartist Rene Lussier released this a few months ago.All tracks except one are played in toto by Lussier.On the avant side of the street, but accessible and just plain fun most of the time.

https://circum-disc.bandcamp.com/alb...tement-marteau
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Canadian guitartist Rene Lussier released this a few months ago.All tracks except one are played in toto by Lussier.On the avant side of the street, but accessible and just plain fun most of the time.

https://circum-disc.bandcamp.com/alb...tement-marteau
    Agreed 100%

I picked it up after you brought it to my attention and think it's great. I see that my acousmatic buddy Gilles Gobeil is involved in the mixing on two cuts, so that was an added bonus. (Not surprised at this since they have done quite a bit of work together in the past).

If you dig "little" sounds and "little" instruments with much detail, this one is for you.

If you dig Lussier's guitar sound, it's here in spades too.

Great album!

best
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

I am going to wait for CD. Definitely going to get this one!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I am going to wait for CD. Definitely going to get this one!
    Same here. I listened to all 3 tracks, and I probably like them better than anything on Leaving California, which I think is a fine album.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Like a three-legged dog

best
    Michael
    This is very excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Yehuda Kotton View Post
    This is very excellent!
    ...cool, glad you dig!

...and the whole album is now available on BC

POUNCE!!!

best
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

The Ventifacts CD is available now on Bandcamp, and is due to ship October 5th.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Like a three-legged dog

best
    Michael
    This is astonishingly daring, original and accomplished music. Thank you.

Agreed 100%

I picked it up after you brought it to my attention and think it's great. I see that my acousmatic buddy Gilles Gobeil is involved in the mixing on two cuts, so that was an added bonus. (Not surprised at this since they have done quite a bit of work together in the past).

If you dig "little" sounds and "little" instruments with much detail, this one is for you.

If you dig Lussier's guitar sound, it's here in spades too.

Great album!

best
    Michael
    This album is a candidate for "best album of the year" for me. René Lussier is a fantastic musician and composer. As a guitarist, he is very original and a true virtuoso. He is also a great percussionist, and he plays the daxophone just as well as the inventor, Hans Reichel. The percussion on this album seems to be things he found in his kitchen. One piece is written for four electric guitars and four electric toothbrushes. The compositions are complex, but still quite accessible. He has a rich musical imagination, so the music is never boring. He has a great sense of humour that often comes through in his music also. Some of the pieces on the album are written for a troupe of clowns...

Incidentally, his most impressive work so far, Le Tresor de la Langue, is just rereleased in the 3 CD version. This album is a candidate for "Best avantprog album ever".

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    This album is a candidate for "best album of the year" for me. René Lussier is a fantastic musician and composer. As a guitarist, he is very original and a true virtuoso. He is also a great percussionist, and he plays the daxophone just as well as the inventor, Hans Reichel. The percussion on this album seems to be things he found in his kitchen. One piece is written for four electric guitars and four electric toothbrushes. The compositions are complex, but still quite accessible. He has a rich musical imagination, so the music is never boring. He has a great sense of humour that often comes through in his music also. Some of the pieces on the album are written for a troupe of clowns...

Incidentally, his most impressive work so far, Le Tresor de la Langue, is just rereleased in the 3 CD version. This album is a candidate for "Best avantprog album ever".
    Yeah...everything you said, but said better than me!

I'm going to pounce on this one too after reading your comments:

Still...my favorite Lussier is the album he did with Canadian Acousmatic composer Gilles Gobeil called Le contrat of which you can hear samples here. I also did a little write-up about it here. This album NEEDS to be listened to straight through, minimal or no distractions...it's GRIPPING!

best
    Michael