Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So I just bought my first Curlew album A Beautiful Western Saddle, no idea why I've never explored them properly before. Where do I go next?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So I just bought my first Curlew album A Beautiful Western Saddle, no idea why I've never explored them properly before. Where do I go next?
    I love me some Curlew. Sure you will get different answers from different folks, but North America (early stuff) and Fabulous Drop are probably my favorites. Live in Berlin is pretty groovy, too.

Or, all of them!

You rang?

Any of these totally smoke in my completely biased opinion

But nothing else that they did is anything like A Beautiful Western Saddle; itĺs like Led Bib suddenly doing a song album.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

And I will second North America, although it’s very ‘produced’, it’s also very ‘succinct’.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

When life returns to normal and I see you, I will regale you with tales of Curlew.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Did you get the download or the physical CD? The live DVD (The Hardwood) that accompanies the CD is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    When life returns to normal and I see you, I will regale you with tales of Curlew.
    Steve, did you ever get the Stir It Up book with the chapter on Curlew? I know you said you ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Steve, did you ever get the Stir It Up book with the chapter on Curlew? I know you said you ordered it.
    Yes, I did. I am very happy to have it, but when I got it and read it, I realized that it was the big piece that I read when it first ran in The Nation.

Still, major major coverage of this stuff and my stuff isn’t all that common, so I am happy to have a permanent record.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Curlew...it's all great, seriously. I love the early one's because they bring back some beautiful memories for me, so I'm partial to North America, Bee, A Beautiful Western Saddle and Berlin.

But the later one's are excellent too. When I was presenting shows I was able to snag Curlew to do a show in Chicago and I have to say, out of all the shows I did, this band had some of the sweetest people I have ever interacted with. George especially was one of the most down to earth, grounded dudes I have ever met. He told me he was a house painter by trade and was doing the music thing for the sheer joy of it. I cant say enough about how nice this guy was!!!

Same goes for Fred Chalenor (RIP)!

I consider myself so lucky to see them in their early prime days. The first show (dont even remember the year) was in this dungeon of a venue called Lower Links and it was the Tom Cora line up. Man did he blow me away with his extended technique antics on the cello. And Davey Williams as well...he just ripped it apart.

The second time, at the Lounge Ax in Chicago was the Saddle band and equally as hot.

The show I put on was a much later incarnation but wonderful nonetheless! Poorly attended (per usual) but....their loss.

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 02-07-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

^^^^^^^^^

I have said this multiple times and I am happy to say it again

George Cartwright is one of my very favorite people on a personal level that I have ever worked with.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The same here !.

Thankx for the recomendations!

Regards,
    Tomßs.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

re: Curlew,

I forget which album it was, but I remember buying one of them from Wayside, and apparently, there had been some mixup at the pressing plant, I gather, and some of the copies had a CD by some other band in ithem. Including mine. So I remember having to e-mail Steve about it, and he very kindly sent a fresh jewel case with the correct CD i nit, which I snapped into the existing jewel case. I've still got the other CD tray, with the other CD in it sitting around here someplace. As I recall, it was some sort of "jam band" thing, like Spin Doctors or whatever.

Anyway, I'm finding myself engaging in my "avant prog" binge, I guess inspired by my acquisition, finally, of Present's Certitudes on Friday (download only). Why I didn't buy that album back in 1998, I couldn't tell ya. I do remember seeing it, and a couple other Cuneiform titles at Borders at one point, back when they were still stocking cool stuff.

So anyhow, after listening to Certitudes on Friday night, I then went to Triskadekaphobie the next evening, on the way to work. Then, on the way home from work on Sunday afternoon, I listened to the first Univers Zero album (the original CD edition), then Heresie later that evening. Then this morning came Ceux Du Dehors, followed by Triskadekaphobie again. Then after going downstairs, and first setting fire to the stove, then making and eating some French toast (now that I think about it, I should have had Belgian waffles, huh?), I put on Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, playing the original album before a nap, then the live bonus disc afterwards.

Now, I'm listening to the Present C.O.D. Performance release, for the first time, via Youtube (sorry, Steve, this is the only way this one is available to me).

I've got the first Present Live album, I think that was one of the ones where Steve had to post a "low stock warning" on the Wayside website to give me the kick in the ass to buy it. That was the first one I got, back around 2001 or something like that. I've still got that around here someplace, but can't find it. No worries, I've got it on both the computer and the Walkman. Then I guess I'll have to come back to Certitudes again after that. Not sure what I'm going to do after that, given that I don't have any of the albums that came after Certitudes, and they go for big money these days. I should have The Great Inhumane Adventure, given that it was recorded on the tour I would have seen, if the show hadn't been cancelled. I'll rectify that on the next Bandcamp Friday, probably.

^^^^^^

A lot of Present and a little Curlew....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^

A lot of Present and a little Curlew....

And a little Univers Zero, too. I do need to get my Curlew albums out and listen to them. If I can remember where they are.

Loving that Curlew album!

It's nothing like Saddle at all, but I'd go with the direct followup, Paradise from '96. It's probably not among their most 'popular' releases with hardcore fans, as it's neither as raw as the earlier downtown-stuff nor as remarkably refined as anything on Saddle, but I think their very particular blend of instrumental rock crunch, avant-jazz tactics and that deepfelt trace of obscure Americana comes together on all levels here. Chris Cochrane (guitars with Davey Williams) is a great match for Samm Bennet's curious drumming technique.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So after so much Belgian music over the last couple days, I went with some Magma last night, listening to Mekan´k Destrukt´w Kommand÷h and Ẁurdah ¤tah. I've got both of these on LP (MDK on A&M, W¤ on Egg, for anyone who cares to know), but I haven't really had a functioning turntable in I don't know how many years, and besides, Zebehn Strain De Guestaah and Tauhd Zaia both signed them for me back in 1999, so it's been that long since I've listened to the studio version of either one.

WEird thing was, I kept getting this feeling I had listened to Ẁurdah ¤tah, but I'm not sure why. I have the Triannon Trilogie DVD, but there again, I haven't played that in ages, so I'm not sure why I've listened to that one more recently. I mean, I know there's bits that overlap with Theuz Hamtaahk and MDK, beyond that...

Anyway, I enjoyed both immensely, though I always had the impression that side two of MDK picked up where side one faded out, but at least on the Bandcamp downloadable version, which is what I listened to last night, that's not the case. Well, like I said, I haven't listened to the damn thing in something like 20 years.

Ẁurdah ¤tah, on the other hand, surprised me by being more enjoyalbe than I expected, somehow. I remember really not digging it as much on the Trilogie DVD as the other two movements of the suite, but I think that' sjust that first bit at the beginning of side two, I guess it's Ẁa´nsaht!!! (En Avant!!!!), that I don't like. The rest of it was pretty awesome. Now I need to get out my Magma DVD's and watch them again.

At any rate, I'm back to Present this morning, listening to the original Live album, from 1996. Enjoying this as I always do.

I think this belongs in any AP thread

An inimitable, 45-minute concept LP handcrafted by a bass-driven psychedelic rock group and a heaven sent, 1001 piece orchestral and choral symphony.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have never understood the buzz around Sanguine Hum. Hopefully it clicks with me some day.
    To my ears, they have a lot in common with Djam Karet. But with somewhat idiosyncratic vocals.

NP: Dave Kerman/5uu's - Regarding Purgatories (Kerman's "poems" here are rather profound, IMO. Interesting how it would not be possible to separate the music from the words, and still have much value in either of them. Inextricably linked.)

For those interested: Henry Cow studio albums have arrived to various streaming services.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

NP: H÷yry-Kone - Hy÷nteisiń voi Rakastaa

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    NP: H÷yry-Kone - Hy÷nteisiń voi Rakastaa
    Cool band and great record. Saw them live few times back in the day.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    For those interested: Henry Cow studio albums have arrived to various streaming services.
    Wow, I did not expect that. Hopefully Henry Cow will reach an even wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wow, I did not expect that. Hopefully Henry Cow will reach an even wider audience.
    They'll be raking in those Spotify bucks now!