Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

Hope that you are all saving up your pennies for the VERY LIMITED, multi disc (probably 13-16 discs) ALL PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED RECORDINGS a box set I am working of that covers The Muffins from 1975 until the end.

It’s currently at 9 CDs and 1 DVD, and I still have a ways to go!

And this is not a trick, but it will be a treat!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Manna/Mirage, Open City and Chronometers is all I have by The Muffins and I really like all of them. I'm just starting Paul Sears' book and I'm enjoying it too.

Banned
    You have to dig the just released 5-track EP titled "Psychology Today" by New York's Extreme Animals because it has its experiment here with sounds, noises, with musical genres - experimental rock, krautrock, Musique concrète - and singing, which can express every strange attitude towards life and is definitely excellent (but not annoying).
    Extreme Animals - that is a new musical attitude towards life that you don't have to get involved with, but that you also shouldn't demonize as some half-baked junk, which a few years later is touted as the true revelation. It's crash, rush, mourning, anger, an unity where addition to the instrumentation, the electronics and "real" instruments are interchangeable. But, didn't every album by a gifted band always sound slightly (or sometimes completely) different?

I bought some Muffins this year after seeing them recommended by the great and good on this forum - well worth tracking down!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Banned
    The avant-heads may know Claudio Milano as the singer and vocal artist of the Italian group NichelOdeon. Towards the end of the first decade of the new millennium, he collaborated with the Dutch Erna Franssens (who got the stage name Kasajanoova), who is probably best described as a multimedia artist. The result of this collaboration was the album "Adython'', released in 2012 on the Italian label dEN Records.
    Music? Well, "INCIDENTI-Lo Schianto" is a pretty crazy avantgarde stuff, which depending on the mood - or the state of recovery - is quite annoying or very impressive (the reviewer). What is offered on this CD is certainly interesting. Anyone who can imagine a kind of very wacky mixture of vocal capes à la Stratos, confused electronic noises, haunting passages, oboe, contralto sax, violin, flutes and heavily processed sound, and was not deterred by this thought experiment, can definitely listen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Hope that you are all saving up your pennies for the VERY LIMITED, multi disc (probably 13-16 discs) ALL PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED RECORDINGS a box set I am working of that covers The Muffins from 1975 until the end.

It’s currently at 9 CDs and 1 DVD, and I still have a ways to go!

And this is not a trick, but it will be a treat!
    Said The Muffin Man.....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Said The Muffin Man.....
    Sorry, Frankie! SOLD OUT!!!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Sorry, Frankie! SOLD OUT!!!!!

Did anyone post Sex Magick Wizards yet??

I can't decide if this is one of the best band names ever or one of the worst. But they kinda rule.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

It's very good and it feels to me like it's channeling the 'dirty energy' of early jazz/rock bands like 'Friends', SART, etc.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

I can't decide if this is one of the best band names ever or one of the worst. But they kinda rule.
    Are they called "The Samurai Of Prog"? Then no it's not the worst band name ever.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Are they called "The Samurai Of Prog"? Then no it's not the worst band name ever.
    Could be in the top five along with that and Soul Enema.

Bandcamp Profile

Could be in the top five along with that and Soul Enema.
    https://louderthanwar.com/top-50-wor...-plain-stupid/

Some of these would make my top 5 or whatever.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fantastic!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I am thoroughly and massively dissapointed by this completely uncalled-for doubting of yours on the issue of the band's name. Of course it is the best band name ever! The music is great by the way.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

It's very good and it feels to me like it's channeling the 'dirty energy' of early jazz/rock bands like 'Friends', SART, etc.
    Yep, those feel like good points of reference.

Let's tell everyone it's retro-prog...albeit of a very bracing kind.

Bandcamp Profile

This might well have been posted before - it's from 2018 - but I only just stumbled on it:

No relation to the Ukrainian "Medieval dark ambient" project of the same name - this is NY Downtown scene, including Nick Didkovsky.

Bandcamp Profile

^ I like it, but then again I was always a sucker for this kind of thing. Very tight, energetic and harmonically demanding if rhythmically highly lineary. Some similarities to the Tone Dogs or Orthotonics or even The Stick Men's This Is the Master Brew, plus to stuff like Justine and Virgule 4 - but faster and perhaps more "content" or even restrained within its self-contained form of preference.

I dig the basic and elementary palette of production and instrumentation. Vocals should vary more, although they very obviously go for the robotic-automatic approach.

Anywaym what's up with Make A Rising these days`Do they still exist at all, and have you been in contact with them, Udi?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Avant-prog binge 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    what's up with Make A Rising these days`Do they still exist at all, and have you been in contact with them, Udi?

I heard from they were recording a new album at a studio in Joshua Tree right before the pandemic. AndStill waiting for the engineer to open his studio again to get in there and finish it.

^ Oh, thx! It'd be great to hear from them again. Infinite Ellipse still stands out as a candidate for "classic late 2000s progressive" status. I keep pulling it out for listening.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Uhm... I can think of worse band names than that.

In fact, I can think of 50 of them.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I heard from they were recording a new album at a studio in Joshua Tree right before the pandemic. AndStill waiting for the engineer to open his studio again to get in there and finish it.
    Great news. Looking forward to it.

I just call them John Belushi.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Oh, thx! It'd be great to hear from them again. Infinite Ellipse still stands out as a candidate for "classic late 2000s progressive" status. I keep pulling it out for listening.
    I also love the New I Fealing EP

https://makearising.bandcamp.com/album/new-i-fealing

And the Wounded Fhealer Series:

https://makearising.bandcamp.com/alb...ries-part-four

https://makearising.bandcamp.com/