Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2021

I wanted to give fellow Zorn-fanciers a heads up that the latest waxing from the Simulacrum setup, Chaos Magick, is (predictably at this point...) outstanding. This time the World’s best power trio is joined by Brian Marsella on electric piano for a dual-keyboard attack and proceedings have an avant-jazz twist to them. As with Baphomet last year, CM goes to show these guys can do a lot more than just blast.

There’s some indication on the obi strip that the Chaos Magick quartet may be an ongoing concern rather than a one-off collab. I hope that proves to be the case.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 06-27-2021 at 06:09 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Anything with the names Ceccaldi or Darrifourcq on it must and shall be mine, basically.

Amanda Dakota is still kicking my arse on
    a regular basis. And right now streaming Constantine to headphones - another crazy achievement!
    Pretty much, love both Amanda Dakota and Constantine. I hunt out everything with these 3 artists on it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    "Pluplusch" is a self-titled debut album by Danish avant-rock trio that consists of Odd Bjertnes, Aske Krammer & Emil Brahe. Complex, weird, jazzy solos over prancing bass and restless drums, created dadaistic soundscapes or tongue-in-cheek, but surreal sentences. The trio draws its influences just as much from rock as from jazz-rock / free jazz and contemporary classical music.

Anything with the names Ceccaldi or Darrifourcq on it must and shall be mine, basically.
    That is my principle also!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I wanted to give fellow Zorn-fanciers a heads up that the latest waxing from the Simulacrum setup, Chaos Magick, is (predictably at this point...) outstanding. This time the World’s best power trio is joined by Brian Marsella on electric piano for a dual-keyboard attack and proceedings have an avant-jazz twist to them. As with Baphomet last year, CM goes to show these guys can do a lot more than just blast.

There’s some indication on the obi strip that the Chaos Magick quartet may be an ongoing concern rather than a one-off collab. I hope that proves to be the case.
    Υou have been declared the official Zorn provider of PE. Sounds very nice, although maybe a step down from the arsonist that Baphomet is.

Banned
    Two Italian men, Massimiliano Sorrentini (drums, voices, flute, electronics) and Francesco Li Puma (bass, synthesizer) make an avant-rock duo that call themselves Atomik Gorilla and who, with additional musicians, in December 2020 have released Il Giorno Della Scommessa ("The Day of the Bet") the album on well-know Italian avant-garde label Hysm?. Atomik Gorilla thereby delivered their dada sound-paintings, noises, pling, plong, scratch, cough, bang, pluck, blow. And there is sure to be a lot to discover here, a real listening challenge, but I have to admit: I can't listen to the whole thing in one go, at least not without losing my concentration in between and drifting away. Avant-garde free improvisations... But what improvisations! Sure, it jingles, rattles, rustles, screeches, tumbles and tumbles a lot on this record, but how awesome! And how much droll jingling, rattling, rustling, screeching, tipping and pumping! Especially that 17-minute long track "Tutti Noi Siamo Esseri Tenebrosi + Bèlo Lugosi" is an absolute high point of the album, up to which you should definitely work your way up. The faint-hearted can of course click their way through until then, but what awaits you is an absolute delight. All in all, this record impressively show that the Atomik Gorilla are able to perform the demanding, complex pieces competently and originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Quite tasty, too! Shades of UZ, Thinking Plague, Cow and others.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quite tasty, too! Shades of UZ, Thinking Plague, Cow and others.
    Definitely Plague. Enjoying it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

np:

... a winner too ! ;-)

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Pretty cool new release from US brutal prog/indie prog band Rhododendron.

https://rhododendronpdx.bandcamp.com...n-battle-hymns

^ I always LOVED the term "brutal prog". Too bad it didn't really stick.

That "genre" displayed its wholly own normative logic as to what goes/went and what didn't, both artistically and technically, and some of that stuff - Orthrelm, Inzinzac, Ahleuchatistas, Hella, With Eyes Abstract, Upsilon, Behold the Arctopus, Sajjanu, Friendly Bears' sole album et al. - was by far the most refreshingly extreme music I ever heard within the realms of "rock" as foundation. Immense intricacy and force in "rock" never ever surpassed the best or worst in the works of The Flying Luttenbachers. If you can hear three "tunes" from Incarceration By Extraction in a sitting row, there's essentially nothing to hold you down.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

mmm.... what about Volcano The Bear any fans here ?

The Flying Luttenbachers is so painful man. But that's what is supposed to be

Meanwhile I've been listening today to Indonesian duo Senyawa and their latest record which verges on the incredible. Sounds like nothing else before it. Highly recommended for lovers of the bizarre.

This slays. Buy or die.

Bandcamp Profile

This slays. Buy or die.
    Funny. I was just gonna post this. The singer teaches voice at the school I teach drums at. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Pretty cool new release from US brutal prog/indie prog band Rhododendron.

https://rhododendronpdx.bandcamp.com...n-battle-hymns
    Very good!

I see they sold out their limited run of 10 CDs and 10 cassette tapes. Smartasses.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Immense intricacy and force in "rock" never ever surpassed the best or worst in the works of The Flying Luttenbachers. If you can hear three "tunes" from Incarceration By Extraction in a sitting row, there's essentially nothing to hold you down.
    What makes this album even more mind-boggling is that Weas played all the instruments and produced it himself, I think over a couple of weeks. More fuel for the conspiracy theorists who hold that he is not human, but the Earthly avatar of an alien hive-mind intelligence with capabilities far beyond our understanding. Either that, or he drank one shitload of espresso.

Bandcamp Profile

What makes this album even more mind-boggling is that Weas played all the instruments and produced it himself, I think over a couple of weeks. More fuel for the conspiracy theorists who hold that he is not human, but the Earthly avatar of an alien hive-mind intelligence with capabilities far beyond our understanding. Either that, or he drank one shitload of espresso.
    And FL have a new album out - just got an email.

Listening now....totally unbelievable. All played by one cat? Is he a drummer first and foremost - because the kit parts are so insane. It all is really.

What's ironic is that I can see some folx listening to this and saying its just random noise/bullshit, whereas in actuality its as tightly composed and performed as anything by Cow, FZ, Cardiacs, etc. I need to pick this up. My family will NOT be happy hearing this on the living room hifi.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Listening now....totally unbelievable. All played by one cat? Is he a drummer first and foremost - because the kit parts are so insane. It all is really.

What's ironic is that I can see some folx listening to this and saying its just random noise/bullshit, whereas in actuality its as tightly composed and performed as anything by Cow, FZ, Cardiacs, etc. I need to pick this up. My family will NOT be happy hearing this on the living room hifi.
    Yeah, drums are his main thing. But he can be the band when necessary...

If you dig this, other FL albums of the period are a must - especially Cataclysm (my fave) and The Void. Hell, they’re all killer.

One hears these comments about music being “chaotic” that is actually very rigorously structured quite a bit. Certainly in regard to the likes of Behold The Arctopus and Spiral Architect. Seems like some fans of extreme music still expect a certain formula and hear noise when the compositional logic is not as expected.

Mind you, if you want actual chaos, WW is also heavily involved in free improv of the scorched earth kind.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 07-09-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Walters Ripped My Flesh.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Yeah, drums are his main thing.
    Not just his main thing. He's one of the greatest drummers that ever sat on the kit.

But surprisingly in their new album, he plays just guitar. Provocative to the core.

Banned
    Japanese label Ultra Gash Records has released a terrific CD. L. Borgia Rossetti had came up with his DIY project called Esmectatons back in 1998. The music of this São Paulo's multi-instrumentalist is a well-played eclectic mixture that gliding between the heritage of the 70's Electronic music, avant-garde and Progressive rock. With a passion and imagination, "Skronking With" leads a special feel that pervades in Rossetti's bizarre, but wonderful oeuvre.

I am really liking what I'm hearing here:

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap