Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to the Administrators of PE, it's very disrespectful, do the right thing for them

to the Administrators of PE, it's very disrespectful, do the right thing for them

Every time I visit this corner of PE I feel that the moment came to have a dedicated RIP area, its really disrespectful to musicians that have been part of our lives to fit between trivial things, some posted here and some in WOT.

More and more are aging and leaving, there should be an In memorial thread where we pay respect

Saturday night live New episode
    RIP Neil Peart
    Merry Christmas
    RIP Keith Emerson
    Newest purchase and worst music video....
    RIP Ken Hensley
    Black and white movies take 2
    RIP Harold Budd
    Something cool
    RIP Chris Squire
    Beer snobs

Really?

I think one can bring up the request for a dedicated forum or thread for RIPs (which has been done before) without having to use words like “disrespect” and phrasing like “do the right thing”. This is really a simple matter of organization than it is about “respect”, which is a perception.

I would be in favor of a separate forum myself from an organizing standpoint, but not everyone agrees that is best solution.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Since my view of postings is based on 'New Posts', they will always "seem disrespectful".
    So no change would be no change for me anyway.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This is silly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think one can bring up the request for a dedicated forum or thread for RIPs (which has been done before) without having to use words like “disrespect” and phrasing like “do the right thing”. This is really a simple matter of organization than it is about “respect”, which is a perception.
    100%. Ridiculous way to phrase it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Since my view of postings is based on 'New Posts', they will always "seem disrespectful".
    So no change would be no change for me anyway.
    150%. 'New Posts' is the only way to view the forum IMO. Nothing is missed, and there's no concern for which post belongs in which sub-forum. It's only when I go to create a new thread that I have to stop and consider where it should go (in order to avoid certain crybaby 'junior mods' from leaping to their megaphones in protest).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This is silly.
    200%. This could (and should) have been a suggestion posed to the mods in a PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I suppose we had to get one of these types of posts in before the end of 2020.

Ok, move along. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

I'm not sure where the "disrespect" comes in. I've never had an issue with posting regarding a deceased person. I don't think the dead mind that much either.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    When a big name prog musician or other notable rock musician died there were sticky threads on the main board. This is a good alternative to a separate sub forum. As with many others it doesn't matter to me considering I navigate by new posts and rarely by the individual sub forums
    I only navigate to individual sub forums if I want to post something. Otherwise I go to the new posts.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I don't think the dead mind that much either.
    Billy Sherwood will, but hopefully that won’t be for a long, long time.

Ember
    I feel the RIP threads are the essence of respectfulness by their nature, and since I too use the "new posts" function exclusively, I would see them mixed in with other posts no matter what.

Don't change anything.

Of all the happenings of 2020 I can't think of anything more concerning than the issue presented in this here thread. Get on this you lazy ass administrators!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The cemetery thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The cemetery thread ?
    The Thread of the Dead
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Rippers
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I disagree with the OP. Try this....go to “Recent Deaths” in Wikipedia. Start scrolling down....read their names....their occupation....cause of death.....after about 5 minutes.....you get depressed as Hell! Everyone on the page IS DEAD!

The way PE is now.....each thread acknowledges the passing of a person who may have a connection with the folks on this forum. RIP as a precursor, warns the reader of the sad news (except for the BIH for Charlie Manson)

I think a RIP topic would be too depressing.....I like them inter-dispersed with the other topics....all messy.....like life itself.

YMMV IMHO FFS
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Rippers
    As in Ripper's Pub----Bethlehem,Pa???��

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow, just wow, I get all my updates from New Posts so a separate forum make no difference to me. I like it just the way it is. Really these are the issues we're meant to worry about?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

New Posts is also the only way I access, so I just don’t see this as a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    New Posts is also the only way I access, so I just don’t see this as a problem at all.
    Same here.

Well, I don't do the New Posts thing, and I think the views expressed in the OP are silly.

How can you not do the New Posts thing? Seems so handy.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    New posts never seemed necessary to me. But I guess I don't mind clicking on the different subforums (subfora?) and going from there.

But yes, this thread is silly at best, dumb at worst.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How can you not do the New Posts thing? Seems so handy.
    I must like the small sense of organization that dealing with the different fora as a whole allows. Seems a bit more orderly (yes, I know we're talking about PE ,) if the subjects have some element of continuity.

Fair enough!