Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloody Amazon Gift Card Problem

Bloody Amazon Gift Card Problem

I've been scouring Amazon's site to try and figure out how to fix this and I'm stumped.

Got a card, tried to take the label off the claim code and it stuck leaving me with two digits unreadable, still stuck to the sticky on top of the code.

I can't seem to find an answer on their site. I just got stuck with 100$ worth of stuff I didn't want to pay for as I HAVE A BLOODY GIFT CARD!!!!!!!!

Any ideas? I can't seem to find a way to contact Amazon in the correct way, or any way that will resolve this. At least I did have the money to cover the bill but damn, this is frustrating. I don't have, and probably can't get, the receipt for the card purchase so what the hell do I do? Without that I seem to be screwed as that's the only way to get this fixed. I did put in a word to Sis maybe she can get me the receipt but I don't know. Without that I seem to be screwed.

This is their fault, dammit, the paper got ripped off when I pulled the sticky and lost the two digits. I didn't do anything wrong yet I am in a bit of a pickle trying to get my hundo. Maybe I'm missing a couple of marbles I've lost but damn, this shouldn't be that hard, right?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

That happened to me last year.

I called..., without the code yr screwed
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Thanks...Kinda thought that.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Dammit.

If you still have the ripped-off piece, could you maybe steam them apart like they used to do with envelopes in the old days?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If only two digits are unreadable, that's not TOO many possible permutations, right? Just try them all. Well, maybe it's 100 or something. I don't really do math.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Dammit.

If you still have the ripped-off piece, could you maybe steam them apart like they used to do with envelopes in the old days?
    Should have seen me with the X-acto knife trying to ply it apart. The steam method I don't think would work as it's really stuck but maybe I'll try. Could really use that hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If only two digits are unreadable, that's not TOO many possible permutations, right? Just try them all. Well, maybe it's 100 or something. I don't really do math.
    I was told there would be no math.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

You can choose the 'Math for Poets" option, but in that case you just don't get any money.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    100 combinations if they're numbers but if they can be letters then it's 1,296

If the card was bought directly from Amazon it should be in the buyer's order history (I would think), if it was bought through a third party I have no idea.

Good luck

Damn the person who gave you that gift card! Damn them to hell!

It figures, doesn't it?
    Last edited by progmatist; 12-28-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

There should be a bar code on it, right? There should be a string of numbers under the bar code. I would think they could figure this out if you call them.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I contacted Amazon and gave a bar code and I got my credit.

I was nearly completely locked out of my Amazon account at the start of the pandemic. My computer started crashing, so I tried logging in from another machine. Amazon went into security mode, sending a verification code to an old cell phone number I haven't used in years. When I tried updating my account to reflect the new number, you guessed it, it sent a verification to that old number. It didn't even give me the option of having the code sent to my Fire Stick or Fire Tablet. It was dead set on sending it to that old number. I never even elected to use that number as backup. Amazon searched my account info, found that old obsolete number, and decided for me it was going to be my backup. Since it was the start of the pandemic, all customer service reps were furloughed, making it impossible to contact Amazon to remedy the situation. The only thing which saved me was buying another machine of nearly identical specs, pulling the hard drive out of the old machine and installing it in the new.

BTW: I later discovered the reason the old machine kept crashing was when it was being refurbished, the tech forgot to apply thermal compound between the processor and heat sink. When the processor got too hot, the machine started crashing.

Still can't seem to find a way to contact Amazon. There's that usually depressing contact us button at the bottom of the page (in typical Douglas Adams style) that really means you can try and contact them but it will be a completely useless endeavor.

I've got the receipt for the grovery store it was bought so I'll try and get it fixed by them but I'm almost certain they will say to me "NO, have a nice day" and shoo me out of the store.

Still can't seem to find a way to contact Amazon. There's that usually depressing contact us button at the bottom of the page (in typical Douglas Adams style) that really means you can try and contact them but it will be a completely useless endeavor.

I've got the receipt for the grovery store it was bought so I'll try and get it fixed by them but I'm almost certain they will say to me "NO, have a nice day" and shoo me out of the store.
    I quickly found a link to contact them with your issue and have them call you back. You need to go to help and follow the prompts.

Click on help at the bottom of the page. Then on the left hand side of the page under Browse Topics there should be a Need More Help? link. Click on that. That will pull up a drop down menu to the right. Click on contact us. On the left side there will be a link for Need Help over the phone. Click on We Can Call You. You should be able to figure out the rest.

^^ A couple of months ago, I followed those steps to complain about being charged for NatGeo, when I canceled it before the trial ended. A customer service rep promptly called me, presumably from their home and not a call center.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I quickly found a link to contact them with your issue and have them call you back. You need to go to help and follow the prompts.

Click on help at the bottom of the page. Then on the left hand side of the page under Browse Topics there should be a Need More Help? link. Click on that. That will pull up a drop down menu to the right. Click on contact us. On the left side there will be a link for Need Help over the phone. Click on We Can Call You. You should be able to figure out the rest.
    Actually, I think my friend figured it out. That strip can either be pulled off, which didn't work for me, but it can also be scraped off with a coin. I think he found the missing digit. His Amazon scanning device has the code at 4, 6 then 5 digits and it seems I was just missing that first digit. Now I don't know what to buy as the "important" stuff like seat covers I just paid for.

Interesting as you are right but I have the page blown up so big when I clicked on need more help it was hiding from me and I didn't scroll to the right to find the options. Using a computer is almost detrimental these days as everything is set up for phones. Had a similar thing with my local dispensary's rewards program. Tried it through the site on the computer but that won't do, had to get the app and do it on the phone.

Frakking blindness sucks, it's one reason I hate using a phone so normally I don't unless forced to which, unfortunately, is becoming more and more the case.

It works. I bought a bidet.

Using a computer is almost detrimental these days as everything is set up for phones
    Indeed. I hate the fact that something originally set up for computers is now geared to phone-pokers, and the App experience is usually worse than the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Indeed. I hate the fact that something originally set up for computers is now geared to phone-pokers, and the App experience is usually worse than the browser.
    Blame Google. Mobile-first is the current strategy. A majority of internet traffic is now done on mobile devices. So, Google prioritizes search rankings by mobile-friendliness. And many web developers have taken the mobile-first strategy to the limits with near disregard to the desktop experience. Yet, when i do web development for my clients, an overwhelming majority of them are reviewing my work on desktop. My challenge is to make it work on desktop, tablets and phones. So, when they get picky about what they see on their desktop, I have to push back a bit and educate them on the need to accommodate all devices.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Since it was the start of the pandemic, all customer service reps were furloughed, making it impossible to contact Amazon to remedy the situation.
    This is really pathetic, considering the growth in Bezos' net wealth since the start of the pandemic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yet, when i do web development for my clients, an overwhelming majority of them are reviewing my work on desktop.
    I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but aren't these people supposed to be the smart ones? Even I wouldn't look at the desktop version, at least at first. Who but us old geezers uses a desktop anymore? Just seems to me to be obvious that I'd check my phone to see what something looks like and not a desktop. I barely use my phone so what does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is really pathetic, considering the growth in Bezos' net wealth since the start of the pandemic.
    True that. He's made a few bucks off of me during this crapdemic. I bought the drum stuff when the physical Guitar Center was closed but I did check their site and they couldn't compete with Amazon's prices. I'm not paying $30 for something that's $15. $30 clutch is outrageous. Probably should have checked Sam Ash also but didn't think of it at the time.

Never thought I'd outfit a kit through Amazon but I got the PUA and really needed to play, even if it's just for my own enjoyment. I don't like Amazon as they are a monopoly, sort of, but it's hard to compete with them.

Yeah, why look at a 27" monitor when I have a 5" glass rectangle with an imaginary keyboard.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but aren't these people supposed to be the smart ones? Even I wouldn't look at the desktop version, at least at first. Who but us old geezers uses a desktop anymore? Just seems to me to be obvious that I'd check my phone to see what something looks like and not a desktop. I barely use my phone so what does that tell you?

I don't have a cellphone or a smartphone, just a landline and a desktop computer.
    Problem is, if you want to buy a computer, you seem to need a computer, or a smartphone.