Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

A ROIO that has better sound than Drop.
    ? nothing
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Mole - March. Wow, this is phenomenal. I guess this took place one month before I was born (March, 1972 in Europe) - crazy. Robert muses about not wanting to be stuck in the past, but realized that this era wasn't "that bad!". What a modest chap - this stuff is unbelievable. This is a tight band that plays like a super well-oiled jazz fusion group firing on all cylinders. Beautiful sonics too, a total gem. Thanks again Steve. Did you have any notable conversation with Robert or Phil regarding this release? This is a Canterbury classic live album and a must own imo for fans of Canterbury or just great live music. I think I may have to go for the Esoteric 2-CD versions of the studio albums with the extra goodies.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think you posted an image showing what ROIO this is, but I can't see it.
    Well, crap. It was showing up last night, it must have been in my laptop's cache from a site that doesn't let you hotlink. I'll see if I can fix it. Sorry.

Here goes:

Elton Dean, alto, saxello, Fender Rhodes
    Mike Ratledge, organ, Fender Rhodes
    Hugh Hopper, bass
    Phil Howard, drums

01 - All White (3:48) > (fades in)
    02 - Slightly All The Time (8:24) >
    03 - Drop (4:57) >
    04 - MC (2:14) >
    05 - Out-Bloody-Rageous (8:55) >
    06 - As If (5:16) >
    07 - Dark Swing (drum solo) (4:45) * >
    08 - Intro Pigling (1:22) * >
    09 - Pigling Bland (6:16) *
    10 - Encore Improv (8:46) *
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 01-10-2021 at 02:12 AM.

The two radio broadcasts with Phil Howard showed up in the usual places before the Drop CD. It is good to have the full sets but Drop is also worthwhile for great liner notes.

Yes, not disparaging Drop, just letting folks know about what I only recently came across.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Mole - March. Wow, this is phenomenal. I guess this took place one month before I was born (March, 1972 in Europe) - crazy. Robert muses about not wanting to be stuck in the past, but realized that this era wasn't "that bad!". What a modest chap - this stuff is unbelievable. This is a tight band that plays like a super well-oiled jazz fusion group firing on all cylinders. Beautiful sonics too, a total gem. Thanks again Steve. Did you have any notable conversation with Robert or Phil regarding this release? This is a Canterbury classic live album and a must own imo for fans of Canterbury or just great live music. I think I may have to go for the Esoteric 2-CD versions of the studio albums with the extra goodies.
    March is so good. It's been a minute since I last heard it, so I need to queue that one up. Back when I first got into Matching Mole, I bought all the live stuff I could find (the Cuneiform and Hux releases, mostly). Money well-spent.

Right now I'm spinning the eponymous MM album (again!), because I really never get tired of hearing it. Next paycheck, I may drop some coin on getting this on vinyl. I'm trying to cut back due to my condo not having that much space for things, but this album is one that means a lot to me so it's an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    March is so good. It's been a minute since I last heard it, so I need to queue that one up. Back when I first got into Matching Mole, I bought all the live stuff I could find (the Cuneiform and Hux releases, mostly). Money well-spent.

Right now I'm spinning the eponymous MM album (again!), because I really never get tired of hearing it. Next paycheck, I may drop some coin on getting this on vinyl. I'm trying to cut back due to my condo not having that much space for things, but this album is one that means a lot to me so it's an exception.
    Yeah - the dilemma I am having is whether to do MM s/t on vinyl or the remaster with extra goodies...hmmmm. I will probably go with the CD and then maybe look for a used LP on Discogs at some point. Are you as enthusiastic on Little Red Record? There is more of Wyatt on the s/t, whereas he takes a more of a supporting role on the second album right?

I know I already said this, but those two Hatfield volumes (Hatwise and Hattitude) are just unbelievably great! Everything - the toons, the playing, the blowing, the interaction, the sonics, etc....absolute gold mines those are.

Yeah - the dilemma I am having is whether to do MM s/t on vinyl or the remaster with extra goodies...hmmmm. I will probably go with the CD and then maybe look for a used LP on Discogs at some point. Are you as enthusiastic on Little Red Record? There is more of Wyatt on the s/t, whereas he takes a more of a supporting role on the second album right?

I know I already said this, but those two Hatfield volumes (Hatwise and Hattitude) are just unbelievably great! Everything - the toons, the playing, the blowing, the interaction, the sonics, etc....absolute gold mines those are.
    Well... While Little Red Record is not quite as great as the debut, there’s still plenty of worthwhile stuff on the 2-CD edition IMO. Even with Wyatt not being the driving force, there’s lots to love there. But if I was going to recommend only one, it would be the self-titled MM for sure.

I’ve not got the Hatwise and Hattitude stuff, and didn’t really know what they were until now. Looks like I’ve got more stuff to spend money on.

Well... While Little Red Record is not quite as great as the debut, there’s still plenty of worthwhile stuff on the 2-CD edition IMO. Even with Wyatt not being the driving force, there’s lots to love there. But if I was going to recommend only one, it would be the self-titled MM for sure.

I’ve not got the Hatwise and Hattitude stuff, and didn’t really know what they were until now. Looks like I’ve got more stuff to spend money on.
    Cheers. Here is near 10 minutes of sonic bliss of Hatwise Choice...imagine two entire discs of stuff this good

https://youtu.be/GaQI76zOS2k

I actually prefer Little Red Record to the debut - when played in original running order of "Starting In the Middle of the Day" as first track. The whole side 1 spins like one continuous, half-rabid, drunken set of noisy'n'raunchy mavericks' studio session. Wyatt's drumming in "Marchides" is aggressive as hell.

I still love the first album as well, but somehow I think it lacks the almost grotesque sense of attack of Little Red.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I actually prefer Little Red Record to the debut
    I hugely prefer Little Red Record; I find a decent amount of the self-titled album to be on the weak side of Robert's output.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I also slightly prefer Little Red Record.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Over time, Little Red Record overtook the debut for me as well, although I still have a fondness for it. I think it (the debut) is one of the best introductions to potential newcomers to the scene, along with Grey And Pink.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Over time, Little Red Record overtook the debut for me as well, although I still have a fondness for it. I think it (the debut) is one of the best introductions to potential newcomers to the scene, along with Grey And Pink.
    The 'Tron on the s/t just slays my inner prog nerdom. I'm so happy to have both, just like NH and the Hatfields. Tough to choose...glad I (almost) don't have to. In any event, Wyatt plays his arse off and was at the top of his game on those. His playing impresses me more as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I actually prefer Little Red Record to the debut - when played in original running order of "Starting In the Middle of the Day" as first track.
    Me too. Both are great, but LRR is the masterwork.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The Soft Mountain album appears to be out of print. Is there anyplace online where there's a download that can be bought?

Re: whether the 1st or 2nd Mole releases are better,

I'm not sure which I'd choose, but I'd say I prefer the 21st-century releases on Cuneiform and Hux to either of the studio releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Re: whether the 1st or 2nd Mole releases are better,

I'm not sure which I'd choose, but I'd say I prefer the 21st-century releases on Cuneiform and Hux to either of the studio releases.
    Do you mean On the Radio for the Hux recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I hugely prefer Little Red Record; I find a decent amount of the self-titled album to be on the weak side of Robert's output.
    Interesting. I think I understand what you mean too. And I didn't mean to disparage Little Red Record; it's a great disc of course. The self-titled one has a cozy quality that I really like, and for some reason it draws me in more than LRR. But it's not as adventurous.

Righteous Rhumba is a killer tune.

Do you mean On the Radio for the Hux recording?
    Yep.

Interesting. I think I understand what you mean too. And I didn't mean to disparage Little Red Record; it's a great disc of course. The self-titled one has a cozy quality that I really like, and for some reason it draws me in more than LRR. But it's not as adventurous.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Just my personal opinion.
    I'm glad you shared it. After all, I rely on your opinion quite a bit when it comes to shopping for music.

For a while I've been curious how the two MM studio albums were regarded here in relation to one another, so it's interesting to see that quite a few folks prefer Little Red Record over the debut. I never knew!

I think that most folks prefer the first.

I am most assuredly NOT most folks.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I am most assuredly NOT most folks.
    And vice versa.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

For a while I've been curious how the two MM studio albums were regarded here in relation to one another, so it's interesting to see that quite a few folks prefer Little Red Record over the debut. I never knew!
    To put it like this; I think side 1 of the debut is a marvellous little journey through the particular wit and whim of Wyatt's, backed by the others' melodies and working safely in tandem. Side 2 opens brilliantly, but actually loses me on the way. The substance matter simply isn't strong enough to my ears.

Whereas Little Red, again, has more of the nonsensical and rude farce yet also more cunning arrangements and just out'n'out playing on top of them. And while the debut may have one of the most memorable opening tunes on any Canterbury album, the followup has "God Song". If any tiny ditty of a track serves to convey the Canterburian mysteries of equilibrium in humour or overall mood, twisted harmony, message or whatever - "God Song" comes in at the high.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM