Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2021

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    National Health s/t...what can you say?

Alan Gowen had a wild, slinky synth solo style that also reminds me of Tommy Mars, and maybe Jan Hammer with DiMeola on those records. Gowen sure liked that pitch bend! Crazy fuckin chops on that guy and a very advanced harmonic vocabulary.
    Tommy Mars and Peter Wolf had probably both listened to Jan Hammer. Likely Gowen too, but Gowen seemed like he had listened to more jazz than the Zappa guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Love "Rock Bottom" too and right now, I'm playing "Mu" by Pinhas and Co.: great album and late discovery!

Best!
    Mu is great! And it was a late discovery for me too. Better late than never I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Interesting! I wondered why on earth you'd sent that link until the 3.30 mark when it all became clear. I see he did a version of 'I'm a Believer' as well which draws heavily on the Wyatt arrangement of it.
    I'm pretty sure I heard the Tin Huey version before the Rock Bottom version. Definitely bought the Tin Huey first. Got them both at the same record store.

Did Vaughan Williams 3rd this morning and then I just spun Camembert Electrique twice. What a killer album, and Pip sounds great of course.

I have the old digipack CD and the sound is kind of like my underwear: dirty and questionable. What's the best version? The original vinyl?

I vaguely remember the most recent Charly remastered CD getting the thumbs-up. I only own a 90s CD myself though.

Camembert was originally released as a budget-priced album in the UK. I'd say it's probably the best introduction to Gong.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I vaguely remember the most recent Charly remastered CD getting the thumbs-up. I only own a 90s CD myself though.
    If memory serves, Charly is a bit beyond the pale as far as sharing with the artists whose catalogues they re-issue. I wonder if that big set that was released a year or two ago was an improvement sound-wise? I wanted that set, but you can't have everything when you're not a millionaire.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^That mega-box didn't include this album, it started from Flying Teapot. And I don't own that box either! I don't think Virgin have ever released this one on CD so you're stuck with Charly.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^That mega-box didn't include this album, it started from Flying Teapot. And I don't own that box either! I don't think Virgin have ever released this one on CD so you're stuck with Charly.
    Ahh! Right you are, I should have checked that info.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It is confusing because in the 70s, Virgin released all these particular albums in the UK. But it got somewhat complicated in the CD era.

In between there's the Continental Circus soundtrack album, which is even more of a minefield...

Frankie, the most recent cd reissue (2015-ish?) of Camembert Electrique is excellent, both soundwise and package-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Frankie, the most recent cd reissue (2015-ish?) of Camembert Electrique is excellent, both soundwise and package-wise.
    That's great to know, thanks Alberto.

Matching Mole On The Radio spinning tonight here in the man cave. The lengthy opening blend of Marchides/IP/Smoke is probably my #1 track from the Moles.

Might go back to Rock Bottom again later, one spin the other night wasn't enough. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that frame of mind I had as a teenager, where I could happily spin albums over and over and over again. It's never quite like that again once you get older. There's often too much of a hurry to fit in another album or 'get to' something you've been meaning to check out, but might not bring you the same joy. Rock Bottom deserves those few moments of stunned silence after that laugh trails away and the album finishes. To immediately play another album (or worse nowadays, to put it in a playlist) would do it a disservice. IMO.

^ Great thoughts. Although I admittedly kept spinning more Canterbury the other night afterwards...I couldn't stop. Still can't. But that album can leave a listener in a state afterwards like just listening to a great symphony...its a total experience.

that album can leave a listener in a state afterwards like just listening to a great symphony...its a total experience.
    There aren't many albums that leave me sitting momentarily in silence like that when they conclude. Hammill's Over is the only other one I can think of at the moment. That's why these albums are so dear to me, they resonate deeply and have an effect beyond simple entertainment or enjoyment.

Tonight I did the Softs' Third in one sitting, and by the time I was halfway through Out Bloody Rageous, with Ratledge's fluttering notes bouncing around the room (I had the mock surround setting on), it was just aural paradise. Man, what a towering work of brilliance that entire double platter is. Pretty sure I got drunk one night and hugged my CD.

But I now find myself in the mood for a slight sidestep to some Mothers... I'm thinking Uncle Meat. I need more of that loose 'n free album structure, and that's one I can really sink my teeth into.

Third Meat makes a great meal indeed! A few years back on the 'binge, I spun Third something like 13 times in a row. It was all I played for days and multiple times per. It was such a crazy experience, just soaking it up and really getting into the many little surprises, like REALLY just following Mike the entire time, or Elton's brilliant solos. Moon in June is like Mumps for me, Canterbury epic masterpieces. So great, I can tell you have the vibe going. Doing this music together is truly the best...always starts the year off beautifully. I'm off on a Gong/Hillage detour....loving Camembert and I See You, which is absolutely fantastic! Did You last night in phones, that album is made for headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There aren't many albums that leave me sitting momentarily in silence like that when they conclude. Hammill's Over is the only other one I can think of at the moment. That's why these albums are so dear to me, they resonate deeply and have an effect beyond simple entertainment or enjoyment.
    Absolutely. Very special. There are so many albums in this scene that are absolutely as great or even beyond the classics of the Big 5 (or whatever), but for some reason Hatfield or Kevin Ayers will never get the recognition of a Genesis or Floyd...this music seems to be one of the best kept secrets.

Third is absolutely fan-flippin'-tastic. I've got several albums by the Softs, but that's easily my favorite one. The mood is singular and fully of mystery for me. It's a perfect late-nite listen IMO; helped me get through those long winter months over the last few years.

I should dust off Uncle Meat again. A few years back I got the Meat Light 3-disc reissue, which is pretty cool. I'd never really heard a record like that one before.

Third Meat makes a great meal indeed! A few years back on the 'binge, I spun Third something like 13 times in a row. It was all I played for days and multiple times per. It was such a crazy experience, just soaking it up and really getting into the many little surprises, like REALLY just following Mike the entire time, or Elton's brilliant solos. Moon in June is like Mumps for me, Canterbury epic masterpieces. So great, I can tell you have the vibe going. Doing this music together is truly the best...always starts the year off beautifully. I'm off on a Gong/Hillage detour....loving Camembert and I See You, which is absolutely fantastic! Did You last night in phones, that album is made for headphones.
    Absolutely. Very special. There are so many albums in this scene that are absolutely as great or even beyond the classics of the Big 5 (or whatever), but for some reason Hatfield or Kevin Ayers will never get the recognition of a Genesis or Floyd...this music seems to be one of the best kept secrets.
    Third. 13 times in a row. Amazing!

Yeah, I've got the Canterbug huge this year. I always do get it come the new year, but some years it fades earlier than others when I naturally get pulled into other phases (you know how it goes, there's no control over these things). But this year it's showing no signs of letting up. Good! Of course, I make time for this music at various points throughout the year as well, but I like really getting immersed in it like this.

Gong's You is one of those albums that absolutely blew me away when I first heard it - and many times since. What a way to lull the listener in, with a couple of short, silly-sounding pieces that rather suddenly morph into an incredibly hypnotic (and decidedly more serious) trance-like drone, ultimately exploding into one of the finest space rock albums of all time. And this, after a series of excellent albums already under their belt. Just outstanding. Well, that's been decided, it's coming off the shelf for a spin tomorrow (I'm an easy sell).

And yes, a shame that this stuff is all such a niche market in the grand scheme of things. It seems well known in our little circles here and elsewhere on the 'net, but it doesn't garner much attention beyond that. Imagine the people out there who would dig this stuff if only it would have the exposure it deserves. And it even goes unnoticed by the majority in a place like this.

I made a special Matching Mole live (first half of 72) also to clear up a bit my material as some of the recordings appear in different formats and with the help of Aymeric´s book.
    On the radio (HUX 2006)
    This would be my favourite, it regroups most of the BBC recordings, to my knowledge only the Juin72 Maida Vale recordings are missing. I suppose the original recordings are missing. On the Esoteric remasters a part of these tracks appear on the bonus CDs
    March (Cuneiform 2002)
    Great concert, from March 25 in Amsterdam / Paradiso, was transmitted on radio, great sound.
    Live 1972 (Phat Cat Records?)
    Bootleg regrouping BBC recordings, mostly identic with the HUX CD, but has also 15 minutes from the Maida Vale concert on Juin 21. Good sound
    Smoke Signals (Cuneiform 2001)
    Different recordings from London and Paris plus 2 tracks from the Maida Vale concert ( a third one only on the Japanese edition) , sound is better on the Phat Cat CD, maybe a different source.
    PS for Aymeric, on Calyx the Paradiso concert on March is still noted as Concertgebouw
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    PS for Aymeric, on Calyx the Paradiso concert on March is still noted as Concertgebouw
    Thanks, I've just changed it.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Has anyone identified the dates/locations of the tracks from Smoke Signals?

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Has anyone identified the dates/locations of the tracks from Smoke Signals?
    https://www.calyx-canterbury.fr/

"Discography" -> "M"
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^^ Thanks.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My Bandcamp wishlist right now.
    SOFT HEAP LIVES: DUNOIS PARIS 1982 by SOFT HEAP €2
    SOFT HEAP LIVES: FERME NORD 1982 by SOFT HEAP name your price
    SOFT HEAP LIVES: 1st day 1st set 1982 by Elton Dean Mark Hewins John Greaves, Pip Pyle €3
    SOFT HEAP LIVES: DUNOIS PARIS 1988 by SOFT HEAP €4
    These are all from the Dean/Greaves/Hewins/Pyle lineup and recorded by Hewins with an onstage cassette recorder, from the same 2 tours that A Veritable Centaur is sourced from.
    Much more out there than Soft Heap or Al Dente, or even the Soft Head Rogue Element album.