Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2021

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Of the ones I can identify, I don't have Vol 1 (1/2 of row 1, col 1), Polysoft, Rubber RIff, Breda Reactor or Soft Mountain.
    What are row 2, col 1 and 3, row 3, col 1 and 2, and row 5, col 1 and 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What are row 2, col 1 and 3, row 3, col 1 and 2, and row 5, col 1 and 4?
    Row 2: Soft Machine Turns On, Vol. 1 and BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert
    Row 3: The Peel Sessions and Live At The Proms 1970
    Row 5: Noisette and British Tour '75
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Where's Volume Two? I kid - he must have the twofer. If not, he needs his Soft Machine membership card revoked

Tell him to log on here.

Thanks, sorry, I meant row 6 but didn't notice that I hit the '5'. I have the Peel Sessions and Proms under another title, I believe.
    Using Aymeric's site I figured out that it was Soho, but I haven't figured out the 4th one on row 6.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    TBH the first Caravan album is a fairly basic production. It's not like Piper... where there's a lot going on, so there aren't that many differences that I can recall. It's just less reverb-y and obviously doesn't have the 'vocals in one channel' issues.
    Ok I played the entire mono album. Its different- you are very right about less overall reverb. Its less 'psychy' in this mix, just a tad, and definitely fuller and clearer in parts. Vocals are more present too. Honestly that may be the first or second time I played the mono but I will be definitely be hitting it more in the future. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Where's Volume Two? I kid - he must have the twofer. If not, he needs his Soft Machine membership card revoked
    LOL it would be funny if he was like "Oh man, I never got that one!" ... but yes, the twofer for sure (as is mine). I was going to razz him about only having the domestic release of the debut Soft Machine Legacy album, and not the cool-looking Japanese import CD with the similar artwork style to the first Softs album. But I don't have that either (too pricey on Discogs, etc.), so I resisted.

I haven't figured out the 4th one on row 6.
    I can't tell either, actually. There's a glare on that one. I'll ask him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is University of Errors' "Jet Propelled Photographs" in his collection?" That's SORT OF a Soft Machine album. Kind of.

Way more Soft Machine than me, but I'm not sure their first Polydor single 'Love Makes Sweet Music'/'Feelin' Reelin' Squeelin' would be on any of those CDs pictured. That's only been on a couple of CDs that I know of. It's now easily available on the remaster of the debut album.

I have listened to a couple of records I hadn’t listened to for a long time and some I never had.
    Caravan: Surprise Supplies (HTD 1999) a BBC live recording from the 4th of May 1976, including Brother James on sax, clarinet and flute, basically Blind Dog material plus Love In Your eye. Great concert, very good sound quality, ugly cover like most HTD releases btw, should have deserved a better release, maybe the whole concert, but I suppose the original BBC tracks are lost.

Soft Machine: Hidden Details (2018 Moon June)
    Soft Machine had a great number of excellent composers Ayers, Allen, Wyatt, Ratledge Hopper, Dean, Jenkins, Holdsworth, the “new” Soft Machine members are all excellent side-man , but unfortunately not great composers. Most of the material is composed by Travis and Etheridge, not very interesting compared to SM high standard, more foils for improvisations, even less interesting compared to the two iconic Ratledge compositions they covered. My favourite tracks are both from Etheridge ´Heart off Guard´ a nice guitar solo intro followed by ´Broken Hill´. They should have asked Ratledge or Jenkins for a couple of compositions.

Soft Machine: Live at Baked Potato (2020 Moon June)
    I like the live record following ´Hidden Details´ much better than the studio record. For one it shows their excellent musicianship and half of the material comes from classic Soft Machine repertory with great versions of Out Bloody Rageous, Kings And Queens, Hazard Profile N 1 and Tales Of Taliesin.
    Great live band! If they continue as SM they should get a “house composer”

Soft Machine: Land Of Cockayne (EMI 1981)
    Actually only the second time I ´ve ever listened to this one, nice surprise , all compositions by Jenkins , more of a Jenkins solo record pointing towards the records he would later record, with two Weather Report like ethnic tracks and some typical late 70 disco/soft JR, which has aged rather well IMO.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

How is that 1979 Italian pressing? That's the one I bought and is being delivered tomorrow.
    I haven't played it anymore after I got the Esoteric re-release on CD. What I remember is that it does sound fine, but that the details aren't as clear as on the remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Actually only the second time I ´ve ever listened to this one, nice surprise , all compositions by Jenkins , more of a Jenkins solo record pointing towards the records he would later record, with two Weather Report like ethnic tracks and some typical late 70 disco/soft JR, which has aged rather well IMO.
    I've never heard this one but that's what I think about all the preceding Harvest albums. Very good music in its own right, nothing much to do with Soft Machine of old. I know Ratledge and Jenkins also worked together on library music projects.

I always thought of this album as Soft Machine-going-Alan Parson Project. Quite symphonic at times, but indeed not much to do with SM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Way more Soft Machine than me, but I'm not sure their first Polydor single 'Love Makes Sweet Music'/'Feelin' Reelin' Squeelin' would be on any of those CDs pictured. That's only been on a couple of CDs that I know of. It's now easily available on the remaster of the debut album.
    Right, it's not on the twofer compilation, but I wonder if it's buried somewhere in there on one of those more obscure releases.

I haven't figured out the 4th one on row 6.
    The answer is in!

cd1.jpg

They should have asked Ratledge or Jenkins for a couple of compositions.
    One can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, it was always a plain sleeve.
    So the band photo from the Rotters Club CD wasn't included with the LP? Didn't know that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...PxUMA/featured

I have just (sort of) discovered Aymeric's YT channel, which is chock full of these Canterbury gems. Anybody who is keen on checking out some great Canterbury interviews/clips should check this page out. The few Kevin Ayers interviews are gold.

Aymeric - I slightly remember you mentioning an English version of your Canterbury book - is that still a possibility at this point?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Aymeric - I slightly remember you mentioning an English version of your Canterbury book - is that still a possibility at this point?
    I really hope so!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...PxUMA/featured

I have just (sort of) discovered Aymeric's YT channel, which is chock full of these Canterbury gems. Anybody who is keen on checking out some great Canterbury interviews/clips should check this page out. The few Kevin Ayers interviews are gold.
    Ohhh nice. A few of those I've definitely not seen, bookmarked!

I enjoyed this page quite a bit, on the Phil Miller legacy site:

https://philmillerthelegacy.com/aymerics-interviews/

[Aymeric - I slightly remember you mentioning an English version of your Canterbury book - is that still a possibility at this point?
    Yes, it's very much coming. The plan was to publish it in 2020, then things got derailed a bit on my end. Like many people, this year turned out quite different to what I expected.

The translation itself has been in the works for years, with a couple of English speakers going through it and getting it closer to proper English, but that's mostly done. What I need now is time and the mental availability to complete it. It's not that much extra work, but the time hasn't been right these past few months. Hopefully this year.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Yes, it's very much coming. The plan was to publish it in 2020, then things got derailed a bit on my end. Like many people, this year turned out quite different to what I expected.

The translation itself has been in the works for years, with a couple of English speakers going through it and getting it closer to proper English, but that's mostly done. What I need now is time and the mental availability to complete it. It's not that much extra work, but the time hasn't been right these past few months. Hopefully this year.
    Wonderful news!

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post

Fingers crossed! That would be way cool, I’d love to read it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Autobuy, been waiting a while on this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The answer is in!

cd1.jpg
    I wasn't aware that there was an alternate cover.

I wasn't aware that there was an alternate cover.
    I wasn't either, until I asked. It's a Japanese import version.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    After a busy day getting tested for COVID-19, I'm relaxing with some Gentle Giant (Wislon remixes). But later on I'm listening to this YT playlist of BBC recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dgB6YFHqfhmup2

Somewhere I have the Caravan CD "Songs for Oblivion Fisherman," which is just a subset of this (1970-75), but I always enjoyed it a lot. I need to upgrade to this on CD, if that's out there somewhere (The Show of Our Lives). I remember the title came from someone mishearing the phrase "songs for Bolivian fishermen," which gave me a chuckle. Hopefully this playlist is made up of decent digitizations from decent sources. I'm sure you guys have already heard all these, but since it's hard for me to put my hands on a lot of my Canterbury CDs at the moment I'm going to harness the power of YouTube!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-24-2021 at 07:31 PM.