Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2021

The list of artists I like that feature the flute is quite long. I must have been an Arcadian shepherd a previous life.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

BTW

There is a box set of (all/most) previously unreleased material coming from The Muffins, from the time Paul Sears joined until the end (the ‘classic quartet’, as they say).

There is a LOT LOT LOT of stuff to review and discuss, and I can not comment on any specifics, but it is definitely coming.
    Sweet. I love the Muffins particularly the period around <185>. It's pretty amazing there is all this archival stuff to dig through.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Canterbury was always more mock-rock than cock-rock. Although cock goes into the mock for stock in the flock.
    Sock rock not jock rock. They were Leg ends in their own lunchtime.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

The first three Supersister albums have been added to my collection. I particularly like the first two. More discoveries from these Canterbury Binge threads!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd say it's the "meta" experience of Canterbury as something particularly "academically" quirky that perhaps keeps holding some listeners at bay. The sheer cerebral factor of it.

The fact that much of its musical and thereby artistical complexity isn't rationally adjusted to apparent pragmatic "impacts of act" - as in fast solos or arrangements rendered intentionally intricate for the release of impression/reception when someone is "good enough" to perform it - but somehow are intended to appeal more squarely to pondering of more or less intellectual girth.

Canterbury was always more mock-rock than cock-rock. Although cock goes into the mock for stock in the flock.

The National Health Playtime cd has finally arrived. This was my second attempt to get a copy - the first got lost in the post, and this one took its time! It's a great addition to my Canterbury collection. :-)

^ Do you also have Missing Pieces? Essential.

^^^ Not yet - haven't seen any available at a sensible price!

By way of update; I'm now having my first listen to Missing Pieces! Finally tracked a copy down. And I'm liking what I hear. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    By way of update; I'm now having my first listen to Missing Pieces! Finally tracked a copy down. And I'm liking what I hear. :-)
    Yes it is pretty good! my favorites: Clocks And Clouds, Starlight On Seaweed

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's worth it for Clocks & Clouds alone.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's worth it for Clocks & Clouds alone.
    Before the CD came out I treasured the cassette I found of the BBC session where they played that.

Nice! You'll enjoy it.

^^^^ Third play already! And I trimmed the privet hedge in between.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rather good Neo-Canterbury article on Bandcamp

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/can...e=notification
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Everything featured there is good to great! Even if quite a bit of it isn't really Canterbury as I understand it.

Bandcamp Profile

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

You beat me to it! I thought this was a good overview/intro.

^^^ Not yet - haven't seen any available at a sensible price!
    Confessions of a senile record collector part 29: I was reading this thread a few days ago and thinking to myself how I should have got Missing Pieces when it was available. Today I was going through some boxes of CDs I had stored and discovered that I have it

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You beat me to it! I thought this was a good overview/intro.
    I agree. It was. There is no set definition of Canterbury (Soft Machine! Caravan! Fill in a lot of empty spaces), so I think that the best approach is to accept other’s ‘good faith definitions’ and this did that.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    This song ("The Weary Traveler") is an excellent Serbian 'Canterbury'-like track from Sidarta the album by a Belgrade's female-fronted band called 37°C, which was recorded at Gooseberry Sound Studios in London, England, in 1979. Due to lack of interest by a major record company back then, "Sidarta" was only available as a self-released cassette album for decades, 'till it has been officially released in 2017, as a vinyl LP on Discom label.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    This song ("The Weary Traveler") is an excellent Serbian 'Canterbury'-like track from Sidarta the album by a Belgrade's female-fronted band called 37°C, which was recorded at Gooseberry Sound Studios in London, England, in 1979. Due to lack of interest by a major record company back then, "Sidarta" was only available as a self-released cassette album for decades, 'till it has been officially released in 2017, as a vinyl LP on Discom label.

Interesting ,
    but not very Canterburish IMO it reminds me more the 70s Italian JR bands and especially Arti E Mesteri

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Interesting ,
    but not very Canterburish IMO it reminds me more the 70s Italian JR bands and especially Arti E Mesteri
    Well it doesn't really feature fuzz organs, what is almost a general rule for a "really like Canterbury" stuff, but -in my humble opinion- it has other sub-genre elements: it has a lot of that atmosphere, it has that rhythm, it's not too 'technical', at least not in the Mahavishnu & RTF style.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Well it doesn't really feature fuzz organs, what is almost a general rule for a "really like Canterbury" stuff, but -in my humble opinion- it has other sub-genre elements: it has a lot of that atmosphere, it has that rhythm, it's not too 'technical', at least not in the Mahavishnu & RTF style.
    That's exactly what reminded me Arte E Mesteri very melodic, the delicate interplay of guitar, Keys and drums (plus the vocals) or another great Italian band à bit later DFA.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    NP: National Health - s/t

Aaaahhhhhhh…

Banned
    Gary Boyle and Hugh Hopper first appeared in the Stomu Yamashta's band East Wind across the road. For Hopper it was the first band he joined after breaking up with the Soft Machine. But he was disappointed by Yamashta's music, which turned to commercial realms after the upcoming "Freedom Is Frightening ". So he didn't hesitate when Boyle offered him the bassist position in his band Isotope in 1974. It was released after Jeff Clyne left the formation in the spring of 1974. He was to join Gilgamesh a little later.

Hopper stayed with Isotopes for a year and a half. An album was made during this time (see "Illusion") and the band toured eagerly. In addition to Hopper, a new keyboardist had also joined the group. Laurence Scott had replaced Brian Miller. For a short time in the first half of 1975 the percussionist Aureo de Souza expanded the lineup. At the time of the recording of the third and final Isotope album "Deep End", Hopper left the band to do his solo project "Hopper Tunity Box".

"Golden Section", Isotope's second archive album after "Live at the BBC", is entirely dedicated to the phase in the band's history when Hopper was there. Excerpts from three concerts can be found here. Tracks 1-6 were recorded in May 1975 in Bremen, tracks 7 and 8 in late March or early April 1975 in New York and the remaining numbers in July 1974 in London. The sound quality is consistently very good (especially the numbers dealt with by Radio Bremen). Most of the tracks come from the Isotope albums "Illusion" and "Deep End".

A lively jazz rock, reserved for the delicate, nimble electric guitar game Boyle, can be heard here, which knows how to inspire the participants through the extremely virtuoso style of playing. Here Boyle shows that he was rightly voted "New Star of Jazz" in the Melody Maker's jazz poll in 1974. With what he's showing here, he didn't have to hide from a John McLaughlin either! But also Hopper's peculiarities, very varied playing is impressive and brings color to the music. The latter also applies to Laurence Scott's electric piano, which passes through the gaps in the sound with a sparkling and sometimes coarse booming sound. In addition, Nigel Morris drums at the usual high level.
    "Golden Ratio" is a nice addition to any 'Canterbury' collection. The rousing concert document offers the best tracks of the band from their best phase in very decent sound quality. I would almost advise you to get this album first if you want to get to know the music of Isotope.