Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223
Results 551 to 567 of 567

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2021

  1. #551
    I listened to two Kevin Ayers broadcasts I´ve never heard before:
    Kevin Ayers and the Whole Wide World: Colours of the day (1970)
    This is one of my Top Ten Canterboots, basically a Dutch Radio concert VPRO Broadcast from July 30th, 1970 (about 55 minutes) and a couple of extra BBC tracks.
    This is the same band that had played at the Hyde Parc Concert the 18th of July with Wyatt on drums replacing Fincher (there is an official release from the late Mike King´s label, but it´s very bad sound quality)
    Ayers, Wyatt, Oldfield, Coxhill, Bedford and Bridget St. John on one track. This is an excellent sound quality broadcast and the band is in topform. It´s a good mix of songs and improvisations with four tracks over 10 minutes among them ´We Did It Again´ and ´Why Are We Sleeping´. There is a great playfulness that the band didn´t get later IMO. In an alternate universe this would have been my dream alternate Soft Machine with Ayers, Wyatt and Coxhill and I would have personally replaced Oldfield and Bedford by Carla Bley and Annie Whitehead.
    Kevin Ayers: Vin Du Ciel (Sky wine in French) – live in Paris 1970
    This is a French Radio ORTF broadcast from 1970 (about 24 minutes) nice cover, tamer then the Dutch concert broadcast, probably a studio broadcast without audience, but interesting too
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

  2. #552
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,793
    ^ These sound good! Gonna check YT.

    Here's a cheeky NP:

    NP: University of Errors - Live at The Fleece ; Bristol, England, 6 June 2003 (Songs originally by University of Errors, The Soft Machine, Matching Mole, Gong, and Daevid Allen. Probably a bit too punky to qualify as Canterbury, but still...)

  3. #553
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,793
    NP: Gong; Paris - Bataclan; 20th May, 1973; Love From The Planet Gong - Pt. 1

  4. #554
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ These sound good! Gonna check YT.

    Here's a cheeky NP:

    NP: University of Errors - Live at The Fleece ; Bristol, England, 6 June 2003 (Songs originally by University of Errors, The Soft Machine, Matching Mole, Gong, and Daevid Allen. Probably a bit too punky to qualify as Canterbury, but still...)
    I like UOE, I have the one with the early Soft Machine material ´Jet Propelled Photographs´ which is quite fun, have to check out the Live At The Fleece.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

  5. #555
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,019
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    NP: Gong; Paris - Bataclan; 20th May, 1973; Love From The Planet Gong - Pt. 1
    That whole box is terrific.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  6. #556
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Stevens
    Posts
    76
    The first song in ZT's latest video, by Kandahar, is very Canterbury-influenced.

  7. #557
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,547
    Kandahar's thord album is a lesser one than their first two, and less Canterbury-ish as well.

    BTW, if their first two received their CD release some 10 to 12 years ago, Pictures From The Past never did.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  8. #558
    Hadn’t heard these for quite some time
    Pyle – Pung- Greaves: The Pig Part (1999 Voiceprint)
    When John Greaves settled down in Normandy, he gave an interview in a French Music Mag and expressed his wish to get in contact with local musicians. So, one Philippe Marcel Pung contacted him and Greaves invited Pip Pyle and they recorded this record. It´s free form rock with a couple of lyrics by John Greaves and Peter Blegvad. The first half is a bit boring, but the second half quite interesting, longer tracks build around a heavy ostinato bass by Greaves who recites more then sings his lyrics with the two others building around. My favourite is Dead God Dog Dingo (for sure a Pip Pyle title ) which is similar to Millers riff on Nan´s True Hole

    And two great boots by HTN:

    Theatre Present de La Villette September 25th 1973
    Audience recording, quality is ok, but great concert still with a part of the Millers Matching Mole compositions (God Song, Part of The Dance, Nan´s True Hole)

    Roundhouse London April 14th 1974
    Audience recording
    One of my favourite Canterboots, concert in two parts first half an hour as Quartet and then the second part with Robert Wyatt, The Northettes, Alan Gowen, Steve Miller, Lol Coxhill, Jimmy Hastings and Jeremy Baines, a Canterbury Dream Big Band
    Quality is ok slightly better than the one above
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

  9. #559
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    1,189
    re: PYG... It's not "Pung", it's "Iung" !

    re: Hatfield... Most of the Miller tunes were played till the end. Certainly "God Song" was, although for a while it was only a brief instrumental snippet.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

  10. #560
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,793
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneTull View Post
    The first song in ZT's latest video, by Kandahar, is very Canterbury-influenced.
    Is Zaragon Maximalist the guy who used to be on PE?

    Also, are these "Reaction" videos? Or Lack of Reaction videos? Not sure if I get it.

  11. #561
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,793
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Hadn’t heard these for quite some time
    Pyle – Pung- Greaves: The Pig Part (1999 Voiceprint)
    When John Greaves settled down in Normandy, he gave an interview in a French Music Mag and expressed his wish to get in contact with local musicians. So, one Philippe Marcel Pung contacted him and Greaves invited Pip Pyle and they recorded this record. It´s free form rock with a couple of lyrics by John Greaves and Peter Blegvad. The first half is a bit boring, but the second half quite interesting, longer tracks build around a heavy ostinato bass by Greaves who recites more then sings his lyrics with the two others building around. My favourite is Dead God Dog Dingo (for sure a Pip Pyle title ) which is similar to Millers riff on Nan´s True Hole

    And two great boots by HTN:

    Theatre Present de La Villette September 25th 1973
    Audience recording, quality is ok, but great concert still with a part of the Millers Matching Mole compositions (God Song, Part of The Dance, Nan´s True Hole)

    Roundhouse London April 14th 1974
    Audience recording
    One of my favourite Canterboots, concert in two parts first half an hour as Quartet and then the second part with Robert Wyatt, The Northettes, Alan Gowen, Steve Miller, Lol Coxhill, Jimmy Hastings and Jeremy Baines, a Canterbury Dream Big Band
    Quality is ok slightly better than the one above
    HTN?? (I'm sure I'll smack my forehead.)

  12. #562
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    HTN?? (I'm sure I'll smack my forehead.)
    Hatfield and the North.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

  13. #563
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,793
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Hatfield and the North.
    *smack*

  14. #564
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,097
    Not Happy the Nan?
    THE HIPCRIME VOCAB CD doggedly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

  15. #565
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,690
    Hole, True, Nan's

  16. #566
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Hole, True, Nan's

  17. #567
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,019
    Jed, are you enjoying the Antique Seeking Nuns? I love that stuff more than Sanguine Hum.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •