Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELO The Early Years - What DVD would you like to profile?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

ELO The Early Years - What DVD would you like to profile?

This DVD is not the best one I've ever viewed but it's pretty damm good.

There are three early shows:

1) Brunel University 1973
    2) Rockplast 1974
    3) Fusion 1976

I was especially drawn into the 1973 show - Only short - King Of The Universe, Ma-Ma-Ma Bell, In The Hall Of The Mountain King and Great Balls Of Fire.

I love this early material, Jeff is SO young and talented and the audience is very small. No elaborate light shows just a stripped down show.There was more balance between band members. For example, Mik Kaminski had a substantial violin solo, there was more of a focus on the Cellos and likely all the instruments.

There is plenty of decent music on this DVD.

What are noteworthy progressive music DVD's for you?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-27-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I have that DVD and also have the DVD of Out of the blue and what I like about the first DVD is, it's more live without a net.

A few Christmases ago I got the Blu-ray of Live At Wembley, which contains The Early Years as an extra feature.

It was Brunel University I watched last year or so ago. I think it's the only one which is film as opposed to videotape. ISTR they had a slightly rockier sound on that one than what followed. TBH with the later, bigger albums, I prefer them in the studio.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-27-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have that DVD and also have the DVD of Out of the blue and what I like about the first DVD is, it's more live without a net.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A few Christmases ago I got the Blu-ray of Live At Wembley, which contains The Early Years as an extra feature.

That's cool. I am also interested in DVD's that stand out for you as noteworthy, I might get an idea to spin something new or revisit something in my collection.

I've been following a trend to relax and watch a music DVD every Saturday night.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Are the cellists in tune? I was watching a video of them on Youtube one time from around the time, I think it might have been a Midnight Special thing. Anyway, the cellists are doing choreography, which I was causing them to play out of tune. I got into an argument with someone on Youtube, because I made that comment, like "out of tune" is some sort of subjective thing.

I'm morally opposed to profiling.

Something I recorded from German television (don't know if it is ever officially released on DVD)
    Grobschnitt - Live at Rockpalast

Something I recorded from German television (don't know if it is ever officially released on DVD)
    Grobschnitt - Live at Rockpalast
    I own one album from Grobschnitt, Rockpommel's Land, and it's excellent. Is this the performance you were referring to?:

In this case, profiling is a good thing!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-27-2020 at 05:03 PM.

^ Greg, you should really get Ballerman and Solar Music Live or at least listen to them online. They're superlative.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Greg, you should really get Ballerman and Solar Music Live or at least listen to them online. They're superlative.
    Wow! Mark, I'm pretty sure our musical interests overlap, so I'll definitely check this out - there's a DVD, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Wow! Mark, I'm pretty sure our musical interests overlap, so I'll definitely check this out - there's a DVD, right?
    I have a bootleg DVD of Solar Music Live, but I think it got an official release at some point. It's spectacular. Among the best DVDs I own. Musically and visually riveting. I can tell you the date and location if you're interested in tracking it down.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have a bootleg DVD of Solar Music Live, but I think it got an official release at some point. It's spectacular. Among the best DVDs I own. Musically and visually riveting. I can tell you the date and location if you're interested in tracking it down.
    I don't think I ever knew there was a DVD with Solar Music live, or even a bootleg - is it an early show (not like the 2010 "reboot" thing?). If so, I definitely need to track that down because I'd love to know what the frick was happening on stage during Dolar Music. The one photo from the Solar Music Live CD just spurs questions, and provides no answers!

I have a DVD-R of the Rockpalast show. Although it would have been nice to buy and fondle that release, it was hard to justify since I have that DVD-R , which is just fine. I do have that big box set of all the Grobschnitt albums. Unfortunately, I've never gotten much enjoyment from anything the band released after Solar Music Live though, aside from some of the live stuff Eroc released much later. The original, official live albums after Solar Music Live (Last Party - Live, etc.) are really difficult to listen to, for me anyway.

If you're like me, and I know you undoubtedly are,* you enjoy a good, live Marillion DVD. I highly recommend the Live at Cadogan Hall Blu-Ray, which was a Christmas show after the release of their Less = More album, so studio reworks of previously released songs, mostly acoustic, with some new instruments they tried for a change of pace. Autoharp, hammered dulcimer, and such. IMO, some of the reworked versions are superior to the original versions, and the show has a great atmosphere, and pristine video and audio.

* SCTV reference

I own one album from Grobschnitt, Rockpommel's Land, and it's excellent. Is this the performance you were referring to?:

In this case, profiling is a good thing!!
    Yes, this is it. They played a full version of Solar Music. Alas they couldn't do the show like they were used to, but is still very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't think I ever knew there was a DVD with Solar Music live, or even a bootleg - is it an early show (not like the 2010 "reboot" thing?). If so, I definitely need to track that down because I'd love to know what the frick was happening on stage during Dolar Music. The one photo from the Solar Music Live CD just spurs questions, and provides no answers!

I have a DVD-R of the Rockpalast show. Although it would have been nice to buy and fondle that release, it was hard to justify since I have that DVD-R , which is just fine. I do have that big box set of all the Grobschnitt albums. Unfortunately, I've never gotten much enjoyment from anything the band released after Solar Music Live though, aside from some of the live stuff Eroc released much later. The original, official live albums after Solar Music Live (Last Party - Live, etc.) are really difficult to listen to, for me anyway.
    I don't have problems with their later albums, though they lost a lot of prog. I have several achival CDs, including a complete Illegal show, including the tape, they used to play before the show really started. It's not a bad album, but at points the humor takes over and at that points I miss the visuals. Luckily, I don't have problems with the German language. Spend many vacations in Germany and watch a lot of German television. The opening-tape is actually not something I want to hear everytime.

Thanks! Definitely interested.

Still looking for other recommendations!!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-28-2020 at 11:12 AM.

I don't have problems with their later albums, though they lost a lot of prog. I have several achival CDs, including a complete Illegal show, including the tape, they used to play before the show really started. It's not a bad album, but at points the humor takes over and at that points I miss the visuals. Luckily, I don't have problems with the German language. Spend many vacations in Germany and watch a lot of German television. The opening-tape is actually not something I want to hear everytime.
    Listening to the later live albums without understanding German is like listening to Three Stooges films with no picture!

If you're like me, and I know you undoubtedly are,* you enjoy a good, live Marillion DVD. I highly recommend the Live at Cadogan Hall Blu-Ray, which was a Christmas show after the release of their Less = More album, so studio reworks of previously released songs, mostly acoustic, with some new instruments they tried for a change of pace. Autoharp, hammered dulcimer, and such. IMO, some of the reworked versions are superior to the original versions, and the show has a great atmosphere, and pristine video and audio.

* SCTV reference
    I'm a huge fan of Marillion but don't have Live At Codagon. I'm definitely interested in reworks of existing songs! I'll check this out.

I just bought Live At Codagon DVD on Amazon for about $10 USD, including shipping.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-28-2020 at 02:43 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Profile these guys?

Why?

I didn't know there were any ELO dvds. I went to see them in concert in 1974 and 1976. That'll have to do until I locate one of their dvds.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Profile these guys?

Why?

I didn't know there were any ELO dvds. I went to see them in concert in 1974 and 1976. That'll have to do until I locate one of their dvds.
    There are lots of ELO dvds out there. I just watched Jeff Lynne's ELO Wembley or Bust with what looks like a 80,000 audience in 2017. This close to 35 years after the Brunnel show to a small audience from 1973 that I mentioned in my first post. Other than Jeff, no original members from the 2017 show but Jeff looks great for his age. The set list is more commercial and polished but there are several older tunes and Jeff's vocals sound excellent,

I wasn't lucky enought to see the band in 1974 and 1976 like you. These must have been great shows to see live.

There are lots of ELO dvds out there. I just watched Jeff Lynne's ELO Wembley or Bust with what looks like a 80,000 audience in 2017. This close to 35 years after the Brunnel show to a small audience from 1973 that I mentioned in my first post.
    How many years after?

Makes you feel old, huh?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg
    There are lots of ELO dvds out there. I just watched Jeff Lynne's ELO Wembley or Bust with what looks like a 80,000 audience in 2017. This close to 35 years after the Brunnel show to a small audience from 1973 that I mentioned in my first post. Other than Jeff, no original members from the 2017 show but Jeff looks great for his age. The set list is more commercial and polished but there are several older tunes and Jeff's vocals sound excellent,

I wasn't lucky enought to see the band in 1974 and 1976 like you. These must have been great shows to see live.
    I don't blame anyone but myself for not knowing about ELO dvds. Somehow, I never hear about music dvds when they are released, even though I often hear about albums. One funny example: about a year or so ago I was in a thrift store and saw a videocassette of Pink Floyd's 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder.' I thought: 'I didn't know you could watch that; I thought it was just an album.'

They were fantastic concerts. The 1974 one had Carmen and Canned Heat as opening acts. An odd bill, but I liked it. The 1976 concert had Little Feat, one of my favorite bands, opening. They had little in common with ELO, but they were great. And, of course, I was there to see ELO; they didn't disappoint.

I have a DVD-R of the Rockpalast show. Although it would have been nice to buy and fondle that release, it was hard to justify since I have that DVD-R , which is just fine. I do have that big box set of all the Grobschnitt albums. Unfortunately, I've never gotten much enjoyment from anything the band released after Solar Music Live though, aside from some of the live stuff Eroc released much later.
    My bad, Jed. The release I am talking about is the Rockpalast from 1978 and is on a DVD-R. Fantastic vid for all that. I have been under the impression that it is a bootleg, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I haven't researched to see if there's an official release somewhere among the welter of Grobschnitt material released in the last 10 years, just a memory that I saw it at some point. Might not have. If it was, it should be on Discogs.

My bad, Jed. The release I am talking about is the Rockpalast from 1978 and is on a DVD-R. Fantastic vid for all that. I have been under the impression that it is a bootleg, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I haven't researched to see if there's an official release somewhere among the welter of Grobschnitt material released in the last 10 years, just a memory that I saw it at some point. Might not have. If it was, it should be on Discogs.
    Mark, how much of Grobschitt's catalog do you own? I have a single release, Grobschnitt, Rockpommel's Land, that I'm guessing is one of their best. It's amoung the pile of all the CDs I own so will be very hard to find. I'd love to find something on video because I remember really liking the one release I own.

I'm a huge fan of Marillion but don't have Live At Codagon. I'm definitely interested in reworks of existing songs! I'll check this out.

I just bought Live At Codagon DVD on Amazon for about $10 USD, including shipping.
    It's so well filmed that you'll be fine with the DVD! I originally had the DVD, then upgraded to the Blu-Ray which I think came out later, but honestly it's hard to improve on the image quality. Like h's recent h Natural livestream and Marillion's earlier "Christmas in the Chapel" DVD, Cadogan has a great, mellow Christmas vibe. Pairs perfectly with a drink and smoke of something, or tea or whatever. And you can't beat $10 with a stick!