Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thin Lizzy - FIGHTING!

Thin Lizzy - FIGHTING!

Just got this album recently. What do you guys think of this album? I like it a lot, but I wouldn't say it's better than Jailbreak. Favorite tracks are:

For Those Who Love To Live
    Suicide
    Wild One
    Ballad Of A Hard Man

nice cd has some of their tunes that became concert regulars. this one has a different cover than what i had must be a brit import or something.

Yeah, that's the import. Great album. No, not better than Jailbreak because...it's Jailbreak! But listening to Fighting kicked my ass!

My first Thin Lizzy Lp I bought. Still one of my favorites.

Rick

Think I'll get "Nightlife" too. Most reviews I've read describe it as sort of a mess, or a kind of transition album. The little history I know about this era of the band was around the time that Eric Bell had his emotional meltdown and stormed off stage, and then Gary Moore joined for a while. At the very least it should be worth owning for Still In Love With You, Sha La La, and It's Only Money. The rest I haven't heard.

It's really good, hell it's Lizzy, of course it's good! And it makes my top 5:

1. Jailbreak
    2. Black Rose
    3. Night Life
    4. Fighting
    5. Vagabonds

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Think I'll get "Nightlife" too. Most reviews I've read describe it as sort of a mess, or a kind of transition album.
    I think Night life is a great album, I definitely don't think of it as a transition album and it is far from a mess. It's the first classic period album as it's the 1st album with both Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. That said, it's quite a smooth, soft album compared to their other albums, but that was intentional. The title and the red sky and moon should tell anyone this is a mellower album.

this is a mellower album
    Yeah, I'm just going by what I'm getting from Scott Gorham on the documentary/interviews portion of the "Live And Dangerous" DVD. He said that Night Life was pretty much all written by the time he and Brian joined. Scott described it as too mellow and not representative of their live performances. Not sure I really want to get it. I'll sample it on youtube first.

Ranking Lizzy albums isn't easy for me. I find myself enjoying the post-Brian Robertson albums a lot. What the hell:

Bad Reputation
    Jailbreak
    Chinatown
    Renegade
    Fighting

I obviously like the Snowy White albums. Black Rose has two really, excellent songs (Alibi, Roisen Dube). It's a good album but it's not in my top 5.

Fighting is just ok imo. I find a lot of Lizzy studio albums to be pretty patchy and Fighting is no different. If I had to pick 5 favorites though:

Live and Dangerous- the "live" versions blow away anything on the studio albums, imho.
    Black Rose
    Jailbreak
    Vagabonds of the Western World
    Bad Reputation

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Really good album - no, not as good as Jailbreak (what is?), but it is part of an incredible string of really good albums in just a two or three year stretch (Fighting, Jailbreak, Johnny The Fox, Bad Reputation). Nightlife is a tad laid back from what came after 1974, but it too is a good album, just not in the same league as the aforementioned (the live version of song Still In Love With You smokes the album version anyway).
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Banned
    I've been wanting to get Nightlife, because I like the song for Phil wrote for his mother. I also wanted to get Fighting, because I like the version of Rosalie that Lizzy did with Roger Chapman on backing vocals. I used to have the compilation Dedication:The Best Of Thin Lizzy, and that had a version of Rosalie without Roger's backing vocals on it. Does anyone why that was done?

Nightlife is a really nice cd it may not be as hard hitting as their others but has some killer tunage.

if you like the Lizzy you should also checkout "the peel sessions" as the more popular thin lizzy songs are well recorded if a little different than what most people are familiar with.

Great album! Jailbreak is THE Thin Lizzy album, but this one still kicks ass.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yeah, that's the import.
    I'm wondering now if maybe I overpaid for this CD. I just grabbed the first one I saw on Amazon and didn't think it was expensive at all (8 bucks and change). Whatever, I like the cover photo of the import better than the American cover. I read something recently where Phil said he thought they looked dumb on that cover. He said he didn't mind looking like punks but not punky AND dumb too. I think the cover's cool. Thin Lizzy was nowhere being close to punk but they were a tough little band. I'm warming to Phil's softer side too. I've never been a huge fan of Phil's ballads, and that whole singer-songwriter-poet thing. One slow track I like from this album is "Spirit Slips Away." I like how it segues from King's Vengeance. It's a really haunting track.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 03-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Bought this album after Jailbreak , Bad Reputation & Johnny the Fox. Being dissapointed after listening to those three is an understatement !

Are you saying those three albums were disappointing, or was Fighting disappointing compared to those three albums? If it's the latter then I can see why it might be a disappointment to some. Thin Lizzy's one of those bands from the 70s that rocked harder live than on their studio albums. Phil had a soft, folky, pop side too. I think that's why most Thin Lizzy albums tend to have some filler (well, what I'd call "filler"). The thing about this band is that when they rocked, they ROCKED! But like I said earlier I've warmed up to a lot of those poppish, or non-hard/rock songs on some of the albums. One song I really like a lot is Dancing In The Moonlight from Bad Reputation.

Fighting was dissapointing, so was Nightlife !

I was fartin' around on Youtube and found this:

Eric Bell and Gary Moore on the same stage doing a Lizzy tribute. Anyone know if there is a DVD of this?

Meant to post this earlier. The touring tribute band known as Thin Lizzy is now officially:

Black Star Riders

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/m...ound-for-glory

They have an album of all new songs. I'm all over it.

My fave Thin Lizzy song is Emerald, with Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) a close second. That guitar brawl at the end of Emerald is just so nasty.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Pretty cheesy middle of the road rock stuff.

i like a few later songs, but for the most part Thin Lizzy stopped being interesting and varied after the first three.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My fave Thin Lizzy song is Emerald, with Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) a close second. That guitar brawl at the end of Emerald is just so nasty.
    Emerald is great. I think my favorite Lizzy song just may be Massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And the version from Peel Sessions is the bestest! Badasssssss!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Meant to post this earlier. The touring tribute band known as Thin Lizzy is now officially:

Black Star Riders

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/m...ound-for-glory

They have an album of all new songs. I'm all over it.
    At first I was against a new album coming out if it didn't have the Lizzy name, but I changed my mind when I found out that Brian Downey won't be on this. Bring on the Black Star Riders!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Pretty cheesy middle of the road rock stuff.

i like a few later songs, but for the most part Thin Lizzy stopped being interesting and varied after the first three.
    Yeah, Fighting and Rosalie are very middle of the road. When I first heard those songs, I thought that they were by Michael Bolton or Christopher Cross. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Thin Lizzy was never varied. To just did rock, folk, soul, and pop. Btw, not saying that's a bad thing. Want variety? Go listen to Queen or The Beatles.
    Last edited by JIF; 03-24-2013 at 12:13 AM.