Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thin Lizzy - FIGHTING!

I would call someone like Bolton egregious trash, not middle of the road.

The early stuff was certainly more varied than the 90% riff-fest duel guitar lineups.It's not even about playing different styles per se, more in the arranging and composition and playing sense.I found they lost a lot of inventiveness as they became more hard-rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    i like a few later songs, but for the most part Thin Lizzy stopped being interesting and varied after the first three.
    Nonsense. Never heard "Still In Love With You" or "Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed" or "Dancing In The Moonlight" or "The Sun Goes Down"? Those songs are all on albums after the first three.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    I would call someone like Bolton egregious trash, not middle of the road.

The early stuff was certainly more varied than the 90% riff-fest duel guitar lineups.It's not even about playing different styles per se, more in the arranging and composition and playing sense.I found they lost a lot of inventiveness as they became more hard-rock.
    C'mon, admit it!! You like their early albums because they have Mellotrons and strings on them?

I am so lucky that I got to see Thin Lizzy (w/Phil) back in the 70's with opening band Journey (early prog version) at the Santa Monica Civic back in the 70's..

Also, I wonder how many people were into Thin Lizzy BEFORE jailbreak?

I was and will always consider Vagabonds are their best release, and even though Jailbreak has more POPULAR songs, Fighting has just as many GOOD songs...!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I am so lucky that I got to see Thin Lizzy (w/Phil) back in the 70's with opening band Journey (early prog version) at the Santa Monica Civic back in the 70's..
    Also, I wonder how many people were into Thin Lizzy BEFORE jailbreak?
    I was and will always consider Vagabonds are their best release, and even though Jailbreak has more POPULAR songs, Fighting has just as many GOOD songs...!
    i saw them twice back in the day . killer good stuff tight and everything else, of course the ladies were out in force also. i got into thin lizzy with "vagabonds of the western world". I thought the song they played on FM radio was the title track and it just spoke to me with the chorus and the little "popeye" sort of sound effect Phil used the song was catchy and had a killer riff and sweet little solo awesome song. i think jailbreak and vagabonds were both killer but i don't thtink i have a fave tween them. all their albums had some really good songs on them. "black rose" is killer also; i tended to prefer the more hard rocking rekkids/bits of thin lizzy to the slower ballady/quasi jazzy tunes.

The only pre-Gorham/Robertson Lizzy stuff I have is a cheapo compilation titled "Remembering Pt. 1." I used to see copies of that CD in bargain beens all over town. I got mainly for a few tracks like "Black Boys On The Corner", "Whiskey In The Jar", "The Rocker," etc. A while back I download the track "Vagabond Of The Western World" (not the whole album). Eric Bell was a pretty good guitarist. Eric was a founder/member and was the one who came up with the name "Tin Lizzy" for the band originally.

In case anyone's curious, this is the single that was released for Black Star Riders (fka Thin Lizzy):

Bound For Glory

Banned

I remember first hearing this song on the Lizzy comp Dedication, but I don't remember hearing Roger Chapman's in the background. I love this song!!

It had been years since I heard a TL album, and over the X-mas holidays, I borrowed from the library all of their 70's albums (and that included that 6 albums boxset from Nightlife until Black Rose), but not their last two (Chinatown and Renegade)

To be honest, I much prefer the first three when they were a trio, and you could hearmuch better how good a bassist was Lynott.

As soon as they became a quartet with Gorham and Robertson, it was like they became another band §which is odd, since Lynott was the main songwriter)... To be honest, their quartet albums sound kind of samey-sounding ... you got one, you got them all (despite the hit-songs)

Most likely, they will remain absent from my shelves, even the L&D live album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As soon as they became a quartet with Gorham and Robertson, it was like they became another band §which is odd, since Lynott was the main songwriter)... To be honest, their quartet albums sound kind of samey-sounding ... you got one, you got them all (despite the hit-songs).
    If all of the Thin Lizzy albums made as a quartet sound the same, why didn't Thin Lizzy have a hit in the U.S sooner? I only own Jailbreak, but I have listened to Nightlife and Fighting on YouTube, and those two sound nothing like Jailbreak. It's seems like Thin Lizzy tried many styles and lacked direction and focus on the pre-Jailbreak albums.

Banned

Banned

Trane, if you think that all Thin Lizzy albums made as a quartet all sound "samey", I suggest you listen again.

I appreciate your efforts to prove me wrong, by giving me samples of different spectrums of theirs (as I said, I heard their first 9 albums in the last three weeks, so I'm aware of it), but what I was getting at is that on an album scale (and not on a single song scale), they're pretty much sonically-samey once they became a quartet... you instantly know that you're on a Lizzy album, but unless very familiar, it's not immediately obvious on which one you're listening to (unless falling on the hits >> like Jailbreak or Johnny The Fox and stuff).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I appreciate your efforts to prove me wrong, by giving me samples of different spectrums of theirs (as I said, I heard their first 9 albums in the last three weeks, so I'm aware of it), but what I was getting at is that on an album scale (and not on a single song scale), they're pretty much sonically-samey once they became a quartet... you instantly know that you're on a Lizzy album, but unless very familiar, it's not immediately obvious on which one you're listening to (unless falling on the hits >> like Jailbreak or Johnny The Fox and stuff).
    Trane, that's called a signature sound. Your observation could apply to a number of bands.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Trane, that's called a signature sound. Your observation could apply to a number of bands.

yes, you got one 70's Status Quo album, you got them all