Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2020 - album of the year, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes, Dungen! Oops, they are Swedish, and so is Landberk. Duh! Thanks for that!
    I had to go and double check just to make sure myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    "Chants from Another Place," Jonathan Hulten. Came from nowhere and bashed me in the head. In a good way.
    Love that one too. Got a promotional copy earlier this year, but I thought it was so nice I had to buy the real album too. Great Nick Drake-like guitar-playing and hypnotic voices.

It's not my album of the year though, that's Frontiers, the fifth album by the young Japanese jazzrockfusionband Dezolve (that made my favorite of 2019 also!).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Sitting here listening to the Gavin Harrison & Antoine Fafard - Chemical Reactions. What an impressive piece of work.
    Yes! I’ve listened to Chemical Reactions about ten times. It’s exciting & there are no lulls in the performance. HoG is getting quite a few spins too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    I will probably discover the best album of 2020 several years hence. For now, though, I really like two songs on Lunatic Soul's Through Shaded Woods: "The Fountain" and "Transition II"; the latter is 28 minutes long.
    I had just come back here in order to mention that album. Pushes most of my buttons.

Yes, Dungen! Oops, they are Swedish, and so is Landberk. Duh! Thanks for that!
    A whole lot to read about Dungen in here, Jed. But not only are they (or he, as they're basically Gustav Ejstes) Swedish and not Norwegian - they've also had a tremendously successful boost with both critics and audiences for at least 15 years now. Psychedelic? Yes, that too - but Dungen practically personifies the essence of quality in seemingly "retro" culture with Northern European rock/pop - it's truly inspired, not merely "informed by", and his/their best songwriting and performances are up there not with only the best in "prog" but with the absolute mavericks; R. Newman, W. Zevon, B, Wilson, B. Bacharach, H. Mancini and so much more.

And I'm not even kidding. There are pedestrian or trivial stuff on his roster, but when he's good he's beyond brilliant. Arrangements, melody, execution, sound, aura... The entire deal.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Dirt Poor Robins - Dead Horse

Dungen and Dragoon.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dungen and Dragoon.
    Wouldn't that be Dungeons and Dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    A whole lot to read about Dungen in here, Jed. But not only are they (or he, as they're basically Gustav Ejstes) Swedish and not Norwegian - they've also had a tremendously successful boost with both critics and audiences for at least 15 years now. Psychedelic? Yes, that too - but Dungen practically personifies the essence of quality in seemingly "retro" culture with Northern European rock/pop - it's truly inspired, not merely "informed by", and his/their best songwriting and performances are up there not with only the best in "prog" but with the absolute mavericks; R. Newman, W. Zevon, B, Wilson, B. Bacharach, H. Mancini and so much more.

And I'm not even kidding. There are pedestrian or trivial stuff on his roster, but when he's good he's beyond brilliant. Arrangements, melody, execution, sound, aura... The entire deal.
    All true. But why don't you answer en passant to your poor friend's original question? (please)

^ Alright, then - I'd start with either Ta Det Lugnt, Skit I Allt, or the comp CD of his early works by the name of 1999-2001, which comes the closest not only in sound and spirit but actual cultural relevance to the most radical Swedish 70s stuff like Berits Halsband and Älgarnas Trädgård.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I guess I'll go with: Anna von Hausswolff's All Thoughts Must Fly.

^ Alright, then - I'd start with either Ta Det Lugnt, Skit I Allt, or the comp CD of his early works by the name of 1999-2001, which comes the closest not only in sound and spirit but actual cultural relevance to the most radical Swedish 70s stuff like Berits Halsband and Älgarnas Trädgård.
    Your poor friend is me and my question was about the best album of the lovely 2020 year. Obviously Rick Wakeman excepted. Because what could ever be better than Rick Wakeman.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

I have to get this one. I loved her last album.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Your poor friend is me and my question was about the best album of the lovely 2020 year. Obviously Rick Wakeman excepted. Because what could ever be better than Rick Wakeman.
    Didn't hear Wakeman's contribution this year, but my vote would go out for the return of Return. Their emotional and thus existential encapsulation of human totality comes to complete expressive articulation in the refurbished dish of their schlager from yore, sporting no less than 1 million views on YT - not kidding. We should have foreseen the state of future rock music in this:

I got what I deserved, anyway, it was worth a try. All the best to you Richard.

^ Gimme a cuppa weeks, Ok? Then I'll probably have adjusted mentally to the idea of 2020 being already past and hopefully be up to the task.

In the meantime, those lyrics of "Bye, Bye Johnny" put Aischylus to utter shame.

Didn't hear Wakeman's contribution this year, but my vote would go out for the return of Return. Their emotional and thus existential encapsulation of human totality comes to complete expressive articulation in the refurbished dish of their schlager from yore, sporting no less than 1 million views on YT - not kidding. We should have foreseen the state of future rock music in this:

thank you scrotum...just thank you!!!!!

...because during this joyous season, thank you for reminding us of what is truly important in our small lives.

The sheer uplifting gladness, the immense feeling of rapture, the tremendous sense of exultation that washed or'e me like a warm bath of sonic liquid was, was...both steeped in a ecstatic sense of an ever "in flux" orgasmic paradise of being..while at the same time an immutable feeling of witnessing the alpha and omega of all things.

Just thank you scrotum

bye bye johnny

bye bye

best
    michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

^ But the lyrics contain so much more than just that. They're kinda symbolic. When the vocalist sings about going to a party and looking for some girls, for instance, it's obvious how he's pointing to something far more meaningful - for instance entering the hall of bright heaven and seeking to crawl back into a womb to suck his mum's navel from within, without having to give up that hairdo or raspy voice. It's the sheer depth of things that catches you.

And the guitars are really tough.

Ghost Rhythms - Imaginary Mountains pretty good stuff.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All true. But why don't you answer en passant to your poor friend's original question? (please)
    I had to look back to see what my question even was! I was just searching for NAME Dungen, so it had already been answered.

I have a couple of Dungen albums - I forget which ones. I like them a lot. Somebody needs to do "family-tree" diagrams of the Swedish AND Norwegian prog bands from the 90s/2000s! Scrotum, get on that, will you?

BTW, Scrotum, interesting to know you're a Zevon fan! I saw him on the "The Envoy" tour, in a gym at Ithaca college - pretty intimate, sort of. I met him afterward, and got my ticket stub signed by him. He was really nice! I treasure that memory. RIP, Warren. I just ate a sandwich, and I enjoyed it!

Your poor friend is me
    Oops!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:17 PM.

Is that cover an ItCotCK reference?

Is that cover an ItCotCK reference?
    I don't think so. It's from Sacro Bosco which is a garden, based in the centre of Italy, containing grotesque mythological sculptures and buildings overgrown with vegetation, situated in a wooded valley beneath the castle of Orsini. Created during the 16th Century, Sacro Bosco was commissioned by Pier Francesco Orsini, some say to try and cope with his grief following the death of his wife Guilia Farnese, others speculate the purpose was to create art. The album is rather dark as a whole, so I guess it's fitting.

I don't think so. It's from Sacro Bosco which is a garden, based in the centre of Italy, containing grotesque mythological sculptures and buildings overgrown with vegetation, situated in a wooded valley beneath the castle of Orsini. Created during the 16th Century, Sacro Bosco was commissioned by Pier Francesco Orsini, some say to try and cope with his grief following the death of his wife Guilia Farnese, others speculate the purpose was to create art. The album is rather dark as a whole, so I guess it's fitting.
    But using it as an album cover? Well, anyway, it's a reference for me!

But using it as an album cover? Well, anyway, it's a reference for me!
    Taproban used this image as the cover for their debut album. Highly unlikely either band were referencing King Crimson, the Sacro Bosco is well known in its own right. I never made the connection, but I can see it evoking ItCotCK. I just don't think that was their intent.

Bill

cover_37295152018_r.jpg

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Tough call I'll go with

Steensland / Thirlwell - Oscillospira
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.