Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 - album of the year, your choice.

Wobbler- Dwellers of the Deep

Lots of good ones this year.
    However, a late contender really caught my ear last night.

Sonus Umbra - A Sky Full of Ghosts

Outstanding CD Luis!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Right now I'd have to say: Thumbscrew -- the Anthony Braxton Project. I've been a fan of this band for a few years now but this one really puts them over the top, for me. And I will need to check out more by Braxton.

I admit there's still a lot of 2020 music I have yet to hear.

It's got some stiff competition from Wobbler, Helmet of Gnats, and Zopp, but in the end I think I'll get the most mileage out of Ghost Rhythms Imaginary Mountains. So that's my pick as of right now.

Bill

Gonna have to go with Motorpsycho - The All is One. I love everything on the album, but the N.O.X suite is one of the best things I've heard. The way the track pulses and breathes like a like a living being, kinetically evolving from part to part. It's beautiful and intense and captivating. It's two excellent musicians who have been playing together for decades, along with a world class drummer, plus features from Ova Kvernberg and others, and it all comes together perfectly. Hearing it for the first time was so good.

If I must name only one: Trees Speak - Ohms Neo-krautrock (Köln-Dusseldorf school) done the US way by a pair of brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I hate to go with what some would consider an obvious choice for me, but I’d say Aka Moon - Opus 111. It’s their best work in 10 years and shows how far Cassol has come as a composer.
    Fùçk!! I must still check this one out! wall.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll go with Wobbler's Dwellers Of The Deep.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Panzerballett – Planet Z The musicianship is simply on another plane of existence.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Lots of really good albums getting mentioned here, and for me to there are a lot I just haven't spent enough time with or even gotten around to yet. But for now I have to say that my sentimental, neo-prog heart wins out and I choose:

Pendragon - Love Over Fear

It really is one of the best neo-prog albums ever, IMO, and certainly the band's best

Cunning Folk - A Casual Invocation

Floyd meets T-Rex, hawkwind, the orb, what an amazing album this one is, lysergic jam that fuses elements of doomy space prog rock, trance and new psychedelia

Quote Originally Posted by mylard View Post
    Gonna have to go with Motorpsycho - The All is One. I love everything on the album, but the N.O.X suite is one of the best things I've heard. The way the track pulses and breathes like a like a living being, kinetically evolving from part to part. It's beautiful and intense and captivating. It's two excellent musicians who have been playing together for decades, along with a world class drummer, plus features from Ova Kvernberg and others, and it all comes together perfectly. Hearing it for the first time was so good.
    This is likely my choice as well.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

For me it's a close decision between Nektar's The Other Side and BOC's The Symbol Remains.

Forced to choose one, I guess I'll pick the BOC as the higher energy of the two.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Lots of good ones this year.
    However, a late contender really caught my ear last night.

Sonus Umbra - A Sky Full of Ghosts

Outstanding CD Luis!
    Thanks! (Tim, also of Sonus, here.) I'm proud of this one. Glad you like it! We've almost rounded up what we need to ship the presales and can't wait for people to see the physical copies.

Oranssi Pazuzu – Mestarin Kynsi, by far the best 2020 album for me

Quote Originally Posted by mylard View Post
    I need to get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by karel hupjé View Post
    Oranssi Pazuzu – Mestarin Kynsi, by far the best 2020 album for me
    I like it a lot

Ember
    "Chants from Another Place," Jonathan Hulten. Came from nowhere and bashed me in the head. In a good way.

I didn't listen to a lot of new music, but the new Flower Kings album, Islands, is fantastic.

Sitting here listening to the Gavin Harrison & Antoine Fafard - Chemical Reactions. What an impressive piece of work.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

This is a great thread - I’m getting loads of suggestions for new albums I need to check out.

I listened to the Motorpsycho album in the car, and it’s great! I didn’t know Reine Fiske was associated. Between this and discovering Jaga Jazzist, the door to new Norwegian music has been opened for me. I already liked Elephant9 and...a band whose name I forget right now.* Back at the ProgFest that Landberk played, I felt like I was the only person there who thought they were the best band!

Now I’m listening to the AKA Moon album. Excellent! But how come I can’t find a single review of it? Can anyone help with that?

*What’s the name of this Norwegian psych band that I can’t remember? They’ve been around for a while now - Fiske was involved, and I think Elephant9 was an offshoot?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This is a great thread - I’m getting loads of suggestions for new albums I need to check out.

I listened to the Motorpsycho album in the car, and it’s great! I didn’t know Reine Fiske was associated. Between this and discovering Jaga Jazzist, the door to new Norwegian music has been opened for me. I already liked Elephant9 and...a band whose name I forget right now.* Back at the ProgFest that Landberk played, I felt like I was the only person there who thought they were the best band!

Now I’m listening to the AKA Moon album. Excellent! But how come I can’t find a single review of it? Can anyone help with that?

*What’s the name of this Norwegian psych band that I can’t remember? They’ve been around for a while now - Fiske was involved, and I think Elephant9 was an offshoot?
    Dungen, maybe? Though I think they’re Swedish...?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dungen, maybe? Though I think they’re Swedish...?
    Yes, Dungen! Oops, they are Swedish, and so is Landberk. Duh! Thanks for that!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Behold...The Acrtopus - Hapelectic Overtrove
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The Backstage -Isolation.

Just scratches that fusion vibe for me.

Hard choice. Let's say:
    Mammal Hands - Captured spirits