Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beatles Get Back- New footage

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    You can be sure that Mark Lewisohn will offer a full assessment of those in the final volume of his 3-part mammoth biography of the Beatles. Trouble is, Volume 2 (1963-66) isn't expected before 2023, so Volume 3 may not turn up until the very late 2020s...
    Hopefully, he'll be around to finish it. He's not getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    How much of an audience will he have left by then that will purchase such a book?
    I would say this is more about creating he definitive record as much as anything. So, it's for history just as much as the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    That's a valid point. Surely, very few of the people he has interviewed will still be around. And relatively few of those who witnessed the Beatles firsthand.

It's too bad his research and writing takes so long, being a one-man operation... He signed his deal in 2004 or thereabouts and the first volume only arrived in 2013.

But the result is truly the best book of its kind.
    Needless to say, the first volume was much, much more difficult to research. Lewisohn doesn't expect the subsequent volumes to take as long, since there's more of a public record. That being said, it has taken him longer than he expect to just begin volume 2. (I'm not sure he's even begun it, yet.) And a lot of the first-hand witnesses are dying off. I truly fear that this project may never be completed.

But, yes, it truly is the best book of its kind. It's unbelievably great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hopefully, he'll be around to finish it. He's not getting any younger.
    By the "very late 2020s" he'll be in his early 70s. Getting up there, but not exactly Methuselah. Hell, he's two years younger than me, and I plan to be around then!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Needless to say, the first volume was much, much more difficult to research. Lewisohn doesn't expect the subsequent volumes to take as long, since there's more of a public record. That being said, it has taken him longer than he expect to just begin volume 2. (I'm not sure he's even begun it, yet.) And a lot of the first-hand witnesses are dying off. I truly fear that this project may never be completed.
    I think the plan was to begin the actual writing this year (2020). He seems to work in such a way that by the time this phase begins, everything is already so well structured that it doesn't take as long as one would expect. I believe Volume One was written in about a year, no more than two, following 8 years of full-time research (and prior to that, decades of less systematic research). That's why I'm hopeful that publication in 2023 is a realistic prospect.

Of course, since he doesn't restrict his current research to the next volume, he's amassing material for Volume 3 while still completing Volume 2. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it will take less time to finish each subsequent volume, since Volume 2 will have taken a full ten years if it does get published in 2023.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

But, yes, it truly is the best book of its kind. It's unbelievably great.
    I just wanted to second this and hugely recommend it to anyone who is interested in how they happened and what an incredible set of circumstances allowed them to happen.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Just caught the non-trailer...this looks like it was shot in HD. Not just the possible rewriting of history it seems to convey, but damn, that's some really good looking video there. Maybe I wasn't wearing my glasses when I saw it.

LIB was kinda bleak and this looks to be a brighter side of those last years. The truth we'll probably never really know. Somewhere in between, like always.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I thought that the original Michael Lindsay-Hogg footage was shot in 16mm. I agree that the new Peter Jackson "non-trailer" looks very good. It will be interesting to read how he's restored the original footage to look this good. Jackson did a terrific job with the WWI material that was released in the documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old".

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    By the "very late 2020s" he'll be in his early 70s. Getting up there, but not exactly Methuselah. Hell, he's two years younger than me, and I plan to be around then!
    Indeed. But we all age differently and anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I just wanted to second this and hugely recommend it to anyone who is interested in how they happened and what an incredible set of circumstances allowed them to happen.
    Not only that, but he dispels a lot of myths and brings light to the extraordinary coincidences that made the whole thing happen. The detail is insane, yet totally entertaining. It doesn't read like a text book in any way.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So my sis gave me A Hard Day's Write by Steve Turner. Looks to be some good stuff, a song by song write up. Got some of that in an old book I have but this is every song so should be some good stuff in there.

I bought it as an audiobook when it came out. Since I was already deeply invested in finishing a couple of other audiobooks, I had it for at least a month before diving in, thinking, "Wow, 43 hours! That's going to take some serious commitment!" Once I started it, though, it very quickly got its hooks into me... so much that I didn't want it to end. When it did, in fact, reach the aural finish line, I immediately started the whole thing again from the beginning. To date, I've listened to it 7 times. It's easily among the most brilliant books I've ever encountered.

Lewisohn has appeared on a range of podcasts over recent years. Always an engaging listen, as he was part of their inner circle for a time in the 90s...not that many people have been. He no longer is, though- a somewhat strained relationship with Harrison seems to be the main reason for this, in his mind.

https://www.marklewisohn.net/media/

Lewisohn posted this on his site a long time ago:

Tune In took ten years to research/write before it came out in 2013.

Volume 2 is taking longer –

(and volume 3 must follow).

I appreciate that people hungrily want my next book NOW. Thank you.

Believe me, I’m also keen to get it out, so people can continue to devour this most fantastic of true histories,
    and so that I’ll be a step closer to completing a commitment that monopolises my life.

But projects like this take the time they need; the work must progress at its own correct speed.

Yes-yes-yes, OK – but Mark, when’s volume 2 coming out?

I don’t know. When I do, it will be announced and you won’t miss it.

It won’t be in 2020, or in 2021, or in 2022.

2023? No promises, but it’s possible.

More likely it’ll be after 2023, but I don’t know when and it’s pointless to predict it so far out. If you think I could hurry it along, that I’m dragging my feet or twiddling my thumbs (or both at the same time, which would be impressive), please take it kindly from me that you may not understand what’s required.
    Since he hasn't taken it down yet, I suppose he still stands by it.

Finished the book last night. Pretty easy read, mostly about the lyrical content. Wonder if the other song by song book I saw is similar or more nuts and bolts, which I'd also like to read that aspect.

Didn't know the girl who inspired She's Leaving Home was found and interviewed. Still dig the story of ...Mr. Kite. Taking inspiration from some weird poster from the 1800's is just too cool.

This year I finally finished reading volume one of the extended edition from Mark Lewisohn, so looking forward for the extended edition of volume two.

Finally saw this trailer. Time just stopped. AMAZING. I literally could watch all 56 hours. I've never really taken seriously the whole Yoko broke up the Beatles, but her sitting right there...? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Finally saw this trailer. Time just stopped. AMAZING. I literally could watch all 56 hours. I've never really taken seriously the whole Yoko broke up the Beatles, but her sitting right there...? Crazy.
    Right? That would creep me right out.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Right? That would creep me right out.

neil
    It was even more bizarre after her miscarriage when they wheeled her hospital bed into the studio.

This just popped up on Youtube in early Dec. almost 3 hours worth of Get Back sessions. https://youtu.be/flelot6d-y0

referring to the book Steve ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    referring to the book Steve ?
    Yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Yes.
    you read all 1700 pages ?

I read the book from front to back, yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I read the book from front to back, yes.
    I have the shorter, 800-page version, which, according to Lewsohn, doesn't leave out anything significant; it just has more detail.

I'm ready to read it again.

I love this preview. It's truly incredible how good it looks! You get a little reality check on that 3 hour bit of footage on YouTube posted above. Grainy, blury old film with poor audio. This effort from Jackson is priceless!

Btw it's cool to see a young Alan Parsons in the video! You can catch him at 4:47 (and maybe a few other spots).

I love seeing the sessions and the gear they were using. I have this incredible book called "Recording The Beatles". It's a dangerous book because you learn about equipment you probably want to find if you're a musician or engineer. I'm both so I went a little nuts on that in my studio. But, seeing them working at Abbey Road with those EMI consoles and RS124s and Fairchild 660s... and the U67s and all of those other mics, amps and guitars... like you're there in the studio with them? Just awesome.
    For my solo albums Dave Kerzner and my bands/projects In Continuum, Sonic Elements, Mantra Vega, Squids Out To Sea and more go to: http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com Sound of Contact available on Inside Out Arc of Life on Frontiers

OK I am ordering the book
    where is the best site ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    OK I am ordering the book
    where is the best site ?
    The expanded version is pretty pricey. You can get both versions a number of places, maybe even your local retailer, but you might need to order it.