Thread: 21rst Century Schizoid Man cover versions

21rst Century Schizoid Man cover versions

I listened to the South African band Suck's version (1970) of this song today - a very nice aggressive take. This inspired me to listen to the other versions I have. It may be the song that I've seen covered live the most number of times at prog shows. Here's what I have.

21st Century Schizoid Band - Official Bootleg Volume One
    After Crying - Elsõ évtized
    Crimson Jazz Trio - King Crimson Songbook Volume One
    David Cross - Alive in the Underworld
    District 97 with John Wetton - One More Red Night (Live in Chicago)
    Dokaka - (free download from his website)
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Return of the Manticore
    Flower Travellin' Band - Anywhere
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Gavin Harrison and Guthrie Govan - Plays Prog Rock Classics
    Greg Lake - In Concert
    Ozzy Osbourne - Under Cover
    Par Lindh Project - Live In America
    Pressurehead - Schizoid Dimension- A Tribute to King Crimson
    ProjeKct Two - Live Groove
    Roto Rooter Good Time Christmas Band - Roto Rooter Good Time Christmas Band
    Suck - Time to Suck
    Syrius - Anno - Live (Official Bootleg)

The Crimson Jazz Trio's version is probably my favorite - a brilliant rearranging as a jazz song. As a matter of fact, both of their albums are 5 star albums for me (out of 5 stars) - King Crimson Songbook Volume One and King Crimson Songbook Volume 2.

The most unique version is probably by Dokaka - a Japanese beatboxer who performs music solely by multitracking his own voice, generally with one instrument per track.

I actually witnessed the gonzo performance by the Par Lindh Project on "Live in America" at Progday 1998. Incredible!

Orchestral versions of rock songs are usually pretty lame, but I really like this version by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Gavin Harrison and Guthrie Govan being featured prominently certainly helps!

Ozzy does a nice job with his version.

Maybe I spoke too soon in declaring Kokaka the most unique version. The Roto Rooter Good Time Christmas Band's version is bonkers - sort of a cabaret take. Apparently they were a favorite of Dr. Demento.

I've never heard of Pressurehead aside from this. Their take is very psychedelic - a nice change of pace.

Do any of you have any favorite cover versions of this song?

I always kinda liked this version:

There was also a really good one I saw on NHK World, they'd have these little interstitial segments where they'd show Japanese musicians playing well known western songs, done with traditional Japanese instruments, such as koto, shamisen, etc. And Schizoid Man was one of the ones they did. I just now tried looking for it on Youtube, but can't find it at the moment.

Banned
    P.F.M.

21rst Century Schizoid Man cover versions

Theo Travis has a version that really smokes!
    It’s on his Earth to Ether album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I think this counts as half a cover?

IIRC there's an Adrian Belew track where Julie Slick uses the bass riff from 21CSM. Might be an improv though.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

The Human Experimente

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    I think this counts as half a cover?
    Zundoko Bushi. Thanks! I thought that I remembered CGT doing Schizoid Man, but I couldn't find it in my database under that name.

Govt mule covers it too!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There was also a really good one I saw on NHK World, they'd have these little interstitial segments where they'd show Japanese musicians playing well known western songs, done with traditional Japanese instruments, such as koto, shamisen, etc. And Schizoid Man was one of the ones they did. I just now tried looking for it on Youtube, but can't find it at the moment.
    I remember that one also, it was actually posted here. But the link is bad, the video is now "private".
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    Almost forgot about that one, Voivod has a knack for great covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I remember that one also, it was actually posted here. But the link is bad, the video is now "private".
    Yeah, I had posted about it, and someone else found two different Youtube links, one of which was pulled due to a copyright claim by NHK, and I guess the other is the "private" one you mentioned. Ya know, I never did under that whole "private video" thing. I've got videos in my various playlists on Youtube that are marked "private" and therefore I can't play them. And I'm wondering, well, how the frell did it end up in my playlist then?!

Given that NHK apparently has a Youtube account, they'dj ust post all the Blends videos (many of which are quite interesting), but I guess that would make too much, sense, huh?

You really want a FULL count of how many times (920) and by how many artists (67) have performed Schizoid man from 1969 to 2020, check this out:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/k...y+Schizoid+Man

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I always kinda liked this version:

I like to rock, and April Wine's version which is the first I ever heard, is and will always be the original to me. I can't help it.

The Satan Rock version: Shining