Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The mosterish banged-up, beater lp in your collection

Among LPs I bought new:
    Deep Purple Made in Japan - Particularly the side with Smoke on the Water. I was 8 or 9 when I bought this (Christmas money) and played it to the death on my kiddie suitcase mono record player.

Among the few LPs I bought completely scratched up. Caravanserai, bought at a flea market for a quarter. Still played the hell out of it and loved it. Funny, now I play the very clean CD and it just doesn't sound right to me. Not enough pops and static.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Among LPs I bought new:
    Deep Purple Made in Japan - Particularly the side with Smoke on the Water. I was 8 or 9 when I bought this (Christmas money) and played it to the death on my kiddie suitcase mono record player.

Among the few LPs I bought completely scratched up. Caravanserai, bought at a flea market for a quarter. Still played the hell out of it and loved it. Funny, now I play the very clean CD and it just doesn't sound right to me. Not enough pops and static.
    Like my dad used to say, the honest 78-noise.

It must be Dashiell Hedayat - Obsolete

Mind you, the beating up was not my doing - a buddy was getting rid of all his LPs and gave this one to me.
    I tried restoring the sleeve as much as possible - the disc was in slightly better shape - but it's +/- hopeless.

A few days before, he'd asked me and another buddy to assess whether he could get serious money for them, and we had separated Obsolete and the BBA double live as the only things worthy (the rest was mostly 80's flexable vinyls). The next time we saw each other (few days later), he gave me Obsolete and Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson (first time I heard it was when looking at his collection, and to say the least, I was astounded Gainsbourg had done something like that) and our common buddy got the BBA.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Oh ya...first LP I ever bought with my own money. It's in pretty bad shape but I still have it!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.